Singapore Expats Forum

Road trip KL to Penang

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.

Sponsored by:
Image
AVIS Car Rental
wanita001
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon, 18 Jun 2012
Location: Singapore

Road trip KL to Penang

Postby wanita001 » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 6:58 pm

Has anyone driven from KL to Penang recently? How was the road like? Is it an easy drive to ShangriLa Rasa Sayang? Trying to avoid getting lost on the way there, so feedbacks are so appreciated, thank you so much. :???: [/code]
Aussie.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Postby the lynx » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 11:42 pm

Not quite sure where is Shangri La Rasa Sayang in KL but I know one in Penang.

Highway-wise, the North South Highway is an easy drive and quite a scenery too, especially across Perak after Ipoh when you will drive through valleys in wide winding roads (still safe as long as you're not asleep behind the wheels).

Do time your travel in such a way that you will cross Penang bridge out of peak hours. Preferably, avoid 4-9pm from Sg Juru onwards. Look at the map and you will know what I mean.

Do holler if you need pointers as I'm very familiar with Penang.

wanita001
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon, 18 Jun 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby wanita001 » Wed, 20 Jun 2012 1:06 am

the lynx wrote:Not quite sure where is Shangri La Rasa Sayang in KL but I know one in Penang.

Highway-wise, the North South Highway is an easy drive and quite a scenery too, especially across Perak after Ipoh when you will drive through valleys in wide winding roads (still safe as long as you're not asleep behind the wheels).

Do time your travel in such a way that you will cross Penang bridge out of peak hours. Preferably, avoid 4-9pm from Sg Juru onwards. Look at the map and you will know what I mean.

Do holler if you need pointers as I'm very familiar with Penang.


Thank you again the lynx, this is very helpful. I meant ShangriLa Rasa Sayang Resort in Penang. Will it be easy to find once we reach Penang? :)
Aussie.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Postby the lynx » Wed, 20 Jun 2012 8:32 am

wanita001 wrote:
the lynx wrote:Not quite sure where is Shangri La Rasa Sayang in KL but I know one in Penang.

Highway-wise, the North South Highway is an easy drive and quite a scenery too, especially across Perak after Ipoh when you will drive through valleys in wide winding roads (still safe as long as you're not asleep behind the wheels).

Do time your travel in such a way that you will cross Penang bridge out of peak hours. Preferably, avoid 4-9pm from Sg Juru onwards. Look at the map and you will know what I mean.

Do holler if you need pointers as I'm very familiar with Penang.


Thank you again the lynx, this is very helpful. I meant ShangriLa Rasa Sayang Resort in Penang. Will it be easy to find once we reach Penang? :)


Oh that one! Sorry misread your post. OK Shangri La Rasa Sayang is located at Batu Ferringhi, a beach destination up north of the island. It is on the right side of the road (very easy to find) and it will be among the first few hotels/beach resorts you will see right the moment you enter Batu Ferringhi after exiting the coastal road.

Driving from the bridge across the island is pretty straightforward. Just take Jalan Sultan Azlan Shah road all the way up and keep following the sign that leads to Batu Ferringhi.

Now you need to know that the drive along the coastal road after Tg Bungah towards Batu Ferringhi is a little bit tricky. One way road, winding, coastal (meaning one big wrong move, your car will either tumble off the road down the cliff to the sea or ram into oncoming vehicle. Pretty busy road, as it is one (the most commonly used) of the only three routes to Batu Ferringhi (aside from Balik Pulau and Mount Erskine direction).

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 20 Jun 2012 8:59 am

the lynx wrote:Now you need to know that the drive along the coastal road after Tg Bungah towards Batu Ferringhi is a little bit tricky. One way road, winding, coastal (meaning one big wrong move, your car will either tumble off the road down the cliff to the sea or ram into oncoming vehicle. Pretty busy road, as it is one (the most commonly used) of the only three routes to Batu Ferringhi (aside from Balik Pulau and Mount Erskine direction).


Blimey Lynx you're posting like a SGn here, paranoid about anything that isn't a perfect 6 lane expressway hehe. I've driven this Penang coast-road several times. Yes it is a bit windy in parts, but otherwise nothing to report.

Donno what the OP is expecting, a donkey-trail or something...

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Postby the lynx » Wed, 20 Jun 2012 9:23 am

JR8 wrote:
the lynx wrote:Now you need to know that the drive along the coastal road after Tg Bungah towards Batu Ferringhi is a little bit tricky. One way road, winding, coastal (meaning one big wrong move, your car will either tumble off the road down the cliff to the sea or ram into oncoming vehicle. Pretty busy road, as it is one (the most commonly used) of the only three routes to Batu Ferringhi (aside from Balik Pulau and Mount Erskine direction).


Blimey Lynx you're posting like a SGn here, paranoid about anything that isn't a perfect 6 lane expressway hehe. I've driven this Penang coast-road several times. Yes it is a bit windy in parts, but otherwise nothing to report.

Donno what the OP is expecting, a donkey-trail or something...


Haha actually I could even speed along that road and there have been many times that I drove myself through that area after indulging in yeast-fermented beverages over there :P

But still, I feel that I should do my role in community service by giving a standard advice in forums like this :mrgreen:

Ah oh, in case my advice is misconstrued, I have highlighted the keyword up there. :cool:

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 20 Jun 2012 9:31 am

Hooligan! ... Hehehe, only kidding.

That road is nothing compared to driving up to the Cameron Highlands though is it? (At least I don't recall it as such)

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Postby the lynx » Wed, 20 Jun 2012 9:42 am

JR8 wrote:Hooligan! ... Hehehe, only kidding.

That road is nothing compared to driving up to the Cameron Highlands though is it? (At least I don't recall it as such)


Yeah I agree. Especially the slope!

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 20 Jun 2012 9:45 am

the lynx wrote:
JR8 wrote:Hooligan! ... Hehehe, only kidding.

That road is nothing compared to driving up to the Cameron Highlands though is it? (At least I don't recall it as such)


Yeah I agree. Especially the slope!


Yes quite.

Hey if you know Batu F well, do you recall the old guy Papa Din from the kampong there?

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Postby the lynx » Wed, 20 Jun 2012 9:51 am

JR8 wrote:
the lynx wrote:
JR8 wrote:Hooligan! ... Hehehe, only kidding.

That road is nothing compared to driving up to the Cameron Highlands though is it? (At least I don't recall it as such)


Yeah I agree. Especially the slope!


Yes quite.

Hey if you know Batu F well, do you recall the old guy Papa Din from the kampong there?


Ah, the restaurant. Only been there once aeons ago. I wonder if the restaurant is still there. There has been crazy development all over Batu Ferringhi so I'm afraid the kampong didn't stand a chance.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 20 Jun 2012 9:57 am

the lynx wrote:Ah, the restaurant. Only been there once aeons ago. I wonder if the restaurant is still there. There has been crazy development all over Batu Ferringhi so I'm afraid the kampong didn't stand a chance.


I wonder too*.... shame if that kampong has gone.



* I have in front of me (currently unviewed) a DVD of my ancient Dad challenging Papa Din to do exercises... back from about 1994....which they then both do in the entrance way of the restaurant... lol, I think you had to meet the guy to get the whole 'thing' going on there... :)

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Postby the lynx » Wed, 20 Jun 2012 10:00 am

JR8 wrote:
the lynx wrote:Ah, the restaurant. Only been there once aeons ago. I wonder if the restaurant is still there. There has been crazy development all over Batu Ferringhi so I'm afraid the kampong didn't stand a chance.


I wonder too*.... shame if that kampong has gone.



* I have in front of me (currently unviewed) a DVD of my ancient Dad challenging Papa Din to do exercises... back from about 1994....which they then both do in the entrance way of the restaurant... lol, I think you had to meet the guy to get the whole 'thing' going on there... :)


Nope, never had the chance to see Papa Din in person. Only his wife (or staff) who was manning the restaurant that time. But I hear many things about him and the mystical stuff as well. Have anyone tried the spa he set up as well? :wink:

wanita001
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon, 18 Jun 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby wanita001 » Wed, 20 Jun 2012 5:22 pm

the lynx wrote:
wanita001 wrote:
the lynx wrote:Not quite sure where is Shangri La Rasa Sayang in KL but I know one in Penang.

Highway-wise, the North South Highway is an easy drive and quite a scenery too, especially across Perak after Ipoh when you will drive through valleys in wide winding roads (still safe as long as you're not asleep behind the wheels).

Do time your travel in such a way that you will cross Penang bridge out of peak hours. Preferably, avoid 4-9pm from Sg Juru onwards. Look at the map and you will know what I mean.

Do holler if you need pointers as I'm very familiar with Penang.


Thank you again the lynx, this is very helpful. I meant ShangriLa Rasa Sayang Resort in Penang. Will it be easy to find once we reach Penang? :)


Oh that one! Sorry misread your post. OK Shangri La Rasa Sayang is located at Batu Ferringhi, a beach destination up north of the island. It is on the right side of the road (very easy to find) and it will be among the first few hotels/beach resorts you will see right the moment you enter Batu Ferringhi after exiting the coastal road.

Driving from the bridge across the island is pretty straightforward. Just take Jalan Sultan Azlan Shah road all the way up and keep following the sign that leads to Batu Ferringhi.

Now you need to know that the drive along the coastal road after Tg Bungah towards Batu Ferringhi is a little bit tricky. One way road, winding, coastal (meaning one big wrong move, your car will either tumble off the road down the cliff to the sea or ram into oncoming vehicle. Pretty busy road, as it is one (the most commonly used) of the only three routes to Batu Ferringhi (aside from Balik Pulau and Mount Erskine direction).


You are a sweetie the lynx... thank you heaps! I am confident of a great drive to Shangri La Penang now. We are all matured and experienced long distance drivers coming from Australia, so, it will be good! :D
Aussie.

wanita001
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon, 18 Jun 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby wanita001 » Wed, 20 Jun 2012 5:31 pm

JR8 wrote:
the lynx wrote:Now you need to know that the drive along the coastal road after Tg Bungah towards Batu Ferringhi is a little bit tricky. One way road, winding, coastal (meaning one big wrong move, your car will either tumble off the road down the cliff to the sea or ram into oncoming vehicle. Pretty busy road, as it is one (the most commonly used) of the only three routes to Batu Ferringhi (aside from Balik Pulau and Mount Erskine direction).


Blimey Lynx you're posting like a SGn here, paranoid about anything that isn't a perfect 6 lane expressway hehe. I've driven this Penang coast-road several times. Yes it is a bit windy in parts, but otherwise nothing to report.

Donno what the OP is expecting, a donkey-trail or something...


Honestly, have no clue what to expect JR8 - too much paranoia been bombarded at me the minute I said we are driving to Malaysia, no kidding.
Aussie.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 20 Jun 2012 5:42 pm

wanita001 wrote:Honestly, have no clue what to expect JR8 - too much paranoia been bombarded at me the minute I said we are driving to Malaysia, no kidding.


The roads are all very good. (Even the behind-the-beach road at Batu F is ok as I recall). There are some loony (speeding) drivers on the highway up* but just keep over to the left and let them get on with killing themselves and you'll be fine.

As has been said SG drivers exist in a kind of toytown and it is de rigeur on having crossed the border to drive like lunatics. No surprise they get stopped and fined. For some reason this isn't ever their fault but due to the 'corrupt police who want bribing'.

Drive responsibly and you'll be fine.



* the highway up the west coast of the peninsular.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Cars & Motorcycles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests