Singapore Expats

What kind of animal we have?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 1:23 pm

the lynx wrote:Holy crap! I sure hope not it is one of those.
Nope. A standard, non-speckled, beige type, just pretty large.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 1:26 pm

They would probably say you have a bug infested house, seeing insects are the gecko's main dietary source so when there is little food source they usually move on or starve. Unless you train them to eat grains of boiled rice off your finger tip like I did with one, many years ago.
:wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 1:27 pm

x9200 wrote:
the lynx wrote:Well you know what people say when you have gecko problems in your house :wink: :lol:
When would I have a gecko problem and what people would say than? :oops:
Geckos are pretty straight forward creatures. They will only enter a building and inhabit there because of food, and food alone. Very rarely do they 'accidentally' enter a building or for shelter.

Food? Insects. So usually houses with persistent problem with flies or cockroaches will find geckos packing in to partake in the feast.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 2:29 pm

Oh, this, I expected something more sinister. I see a cockroach in our place once every month or less frequently and geckos few times a day. Probably there is a reverse dependence.
We have ants as they seem to have some kind of agreement with our small one.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 3:39 pm

If you don't see too many insects/pests but lots of geckos the odds are that they are really doing their jobs well. Catching 'em before you even see'm! :-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nishantupadhya

Post by nishantupadhya » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 4:47 pm

May I?

Does the noise come from the ceiling? Could it be sounds of expansion/contraction of the steel rails? That sounds similar to the sound you described.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 4:54 pm

I'm not familiar with that term, what are steel rails?

nishantupadhya

Post by nishantupadhya » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 5:05 pm

Beams? I Beam?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 5:14 pm

nishantupadhya wrote:Beams? I Beam?
Ah got you! H-Beams, RSJ's, Girders ...

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 5:19 pm

nishantupadhya wrote:May I?

Does the noise come from the ceiling? Could it be sounds of expansion/contraction of the steel rails? That sounds similar to the sound you described.
Ooh that's possible although I've never experienced it before. But it would be neat to know!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 5:26 pm

Considering that almost all building in Singapore are constructed of cast in situ with concrete & rebar reinforcing, I doubt it would be that. If it were there would be lots of cracks in the ceilings & walls as well spalling concrete.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 5:32 pm

Does Singapore even get a temperature difference to cause such a thing in housing structures?!
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Re: What kind of animal we have?

Post by poodlek » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 5:44 pm

nakatago wrote:
x9200 wrote:Cockroaches?
Heavy-footed foreigners? :lol:
True story: Back in Toronto in the first place I lived without my parents I was in a room on the 2nd of 3 storeys in a house. There was a large hole visible from the outside that went into the gap between the 2nd and 3rd storey, through which many raccoons were seen entering and exiting. Inside my room I could frequently hear these animals scurrying, fighting and rolling acorns around. When I mentioned it to my (Punjabi) landlord that it was time he had the problem taken care of, he replied "That's not raccoons you're hearing; it's the Chinese people upstairs. They like to run around a lot." I never could get him to admit there was a rodent problem before I moved out a few months later.

I bet X9200 has Chinese people upstairs too...just a thought.

nishantupadhya

Post by nishantupadhya » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 6:28 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Considering that almost all building in Singapore are constructed of cast in situ with concrete & rebar reinforcing, I doubt it would be that. If it were there would be lots of cracks in the ceilings & walls as well spalling concrete.
I could be totally wrong then. There were similar sounds coming from my flat's ceiling too. Now it is very rare.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 7:12 pm

nishantupadhya wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Considering that almost all building in Singapore are constructed of cast in situ with concrete & rebar reinforcing, I doubt it would be that. If it were there would be lots of cracks in the ceilings & walls as well spalling concrete.
I could be totally wrong then. There were similar sounds coming from my flat's ceiling too. Now it is very rare.
It's mostly from the floor area, adjacent to the wall, but this equals to ceiling too. There are some cracks in the walls downstairs, none on the ceilings though. But frankly it did not sound like anything I can imagine coming from a rebar reinforcement.