Singapore Expats Forum

Driving SG plate European car in Malaysia

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.

Sponsored by:
AVIS Car Rental
wanita001

Driving SG plate European car in Malaysia

Postby wanita001 » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 12:04 am

Hi, we are planning a road trip of family of 4 adults to KL and Penang in our new SG plate European car but I received many negative advices from Singaporean friends. Is this not a good idea at all? :???:
Aussie.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Re: Driving SG plate European car in Malaysia

Postby Mad Scientist » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 1:42 am

wanita001 wrote:Hi, we are planning a road trip of family of 4 adults to KL and Penang in our new SG plate European car but I received many negative advices from Singaporean friends. Is this not a good idea at all? :???:

If you obey the road traffic rules which is almost similar to SG Traffic Code. you will be fine.
The problem begin when you start speeding on the highway and want to bribe your way out or parking your "expensive SG Plate European Car" in secluded area which ultimately waiting for a disaster to happen.
Common sense and awareness takes precedent in any country right ?
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Postby the lynx » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 8:40 am

I agree with MS. Common sense rules all.

Don't stand out, don't leave your car alone in dodgy places, don't break rules, and you will be fine.

If you are unable to exercise all these above, then it is the best to follow your friends' advice. Better to avoid the risks altogether if you can't manage them.

wanita001

Postby wanita001 » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 1:58 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:
wanita001 wrote:Hi, we are planning a road trip of family of 4 adults to KL and Penang in our new SG plate European car but I received many negative advices from Singaporean friends. Is this not a good idea at all? :???:

If you obey the road traffic rules which is almost similar to SG Traffic Code. you will be fine.
The problem begin when you start speeding on the highway and want to bribe your way out or parking your "expensive SG Plate European Car" in secluded area which ultimately waiting for a disaster to happen.

Thank you, I thought so. The negativeness and discouragements are so amazing. :D
Aussie.

wanita001

Postby wanita001 » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 2:00 pm

the lynx wrote:I agree with MS. Common sense rules all.

Don't stand out, don't leave your car alone in dodgy places, don't break rules, and you will be fine.

If you are unable to exercise all these above, then it is the best to follow your friends' advice. Better to avoid the risks altogether if you can't manage them.

Thank you - I agree too. :)
Aussie.

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Postby the lynx » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 2:13 pm

wanita001 wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote:

Thank you, I thought so. The negativeness and discouragements are so amazing. :D

Well it is true. We have heard enough examples in the newspapers or even among our own friends who had close shave (or unfortunately downright bad encounter for those unlucky ones). But many times I personally believe those happen because, well, they asked for it...'

On a positive note, I do know few people who regularly drive up and down the peninsula from Singapore in their Singapore-registered foreign mid-range or high-range cars and still remain sane and unscathed. But these are the people I have always known them for their prudence and cautiousness. So they do know how to carry themselves when they drive up there with such vehicles and they all always say the same thing about being careful out there.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 2:39 pm

well, basic street smartness is very important ..

Always engage steering lock, even if you are just stepping out for a minute, never leave your parking coupon inside the car - gives the robbers an easy exit when they depart the car park, don't leave stuff that tempts robbers .. and also, get a big sticker that says "tracking device" or whatever

I know Malaysians who have lost their cars in less than 30 minutes ..

Oh, a friend drove me up to KL, in his "Expensive car" and guess what ? next day, we had a meeting with some Malaysian people, he took a hotel limo, leaving his car parked in the hotel, so was it when we went out for a drink.

Let's say his car was "More expensive" - expensive enough for him to bite his pride and take a hotel taxi ..

well, it was the same time that a Sultan's Cayanne got stolen

wanita001

Postby wanita001 » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 6:11 pm

ecureilx wrote:well, basic street smartness is very important ..

Always engage steering lock, even if you are just stepping out for a minute, never leave your parking coupon inside the car - gives the robbers an easy exit when they depart the car park, don't leave stuff that tempts robbers .. and also, get a big sticker that says "tracking device" or whatever

I know Malaysians who have lost their cars in less than 30 minutes ..

Oh, a friend drove me up to KL, in his "Expensive car" and guess what ? next day, we had a meeting with some Malaysian people, he took a hotel limo, leaving his car parked in the hotel, so was it when we went out for a drink.

Let's say his car was "More expensive" - expensive enough for him to bite his pride and take a hotel taxi ..

well, it was the same time that a Sultan's Cayanne got stolen

That is a smart idea - park the car in secured hotel's car park and just take the public transport with the locals! thank you.
:)
Aussie.

wanita001

Postby wanita001 » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 6:30 pm

the lynx wrote:
wanita001 wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote:

Well it is true. We have heard enough examples in the newspapers or even among our own friends who had close shave (or unfortunately downright bad encounter for those unlucky ones). But many times I personally believe those happen because, well, they asked for it...'

On a positive note, I do know few people who regularly drive up and down the peninsula from Singapore in their Singapore-registered foreign mid-range or high-range cars and still remain sane and unscathed. But these are the people I have always known them for their prudence and cautiousness. So they do know how to carry themselves when they drive up there with such vehicles and they all always say the same thing about being careful out there.

ahh..thank you for the positive note, so good to hear positive stories..
Aussie.

x9200

Postby x9200 » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 6:50 pm

I have never driven a SG plated car in Malaysia but from numerous trips/stays over there and myself being European I can say Malaysia, when it comes to safety is like an average European country. Majority of the negative opinion you can hear come from the fact that Singaporeans are cocooned in their mega safe country bubble and don't know how to behave abroad. They expect the same safety as they enjoy here what is obviously not the case, but it does not mean it is an unsafe place by common, civilized standards.

wanita001

Postby wanita001 » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 7:03 pm

x9200 wrote:I have never driven a SG plated car in Malaysia but from numerous trips/stays over there and myself being European I can say Malaysia, when it comes to safety is like an average European country. Majority of the negative opinion you can hear come from the fact that Singaporeans are cocooned in their mega safe country bubble and don't know how to behave abroad. They expect the same safety as they enjoy here what is obviously not the case, but it does not mean it is an unsafe place by common, civilized standards.

Yes, I do think we should give the Malaysians some credits.
Aussie.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 8:24 pm

x9200 wrote:I have never driven a SG plated car in Malaysia but from numerous trips/stays over there and myself being European I can say Malaysia, when it comes to safety is like an average European country. Majority of the negative opinion you can hear come from the fact that Singaporeans are cocooned in their mega safe country bubble and don't know how to behave abroad. They expect the same safety as they enjoy here what is obviously not the case, but it does not mean it is an unsafe place by common, civilized standards.

Fully agree. I've driven SG plate cars, vans, and motorcycles into Malaysia... all over the place. Never had a problem. Big cities... OK... one big city... KL... small towns... in the middle of the rain forest. Left my car parked all day to do a rafting trip... wow... it was still there when I got back. A lot of uncalled for paranoia. (Un)Common sense solves lots of problems.

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Postby scarbowl » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 10:13 pm

Best also confirm that your SG insurance holds in Malaysia.

wanita001

Postby wanita001 » Wed, 20 Jun 2012 12:55 am

scarbowl wrote:Best also confirm that your SG insurance holds in Malaysia.

Will do, thank you.
Aussie.

wanita001

Postby wanita001 » Wed, 20 Jun 2012 1:38 am

Strong Eagle wrote:

Fully agree. I've driven SG plate cars, vans, and motorcycles into Malaysia... all over the place. Never had a problem. Big cities... OK... one big city... KL... small towns... in the middle of the rain forest. Left my car parked all day to do a rafting trip... wow... it was still there when I got back. A lot of uncalled for paranoia. (Un)Common sense solves lots of problems.

Interesting.
Aussie.