Singapore Expats

EP question

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
arnage

EP question

Post by arnage » Fri, 15 Jun 2012 6:04 am

So I have recently accepted an offer with a partner company of my current employer. I am due to be arriving in Singapore Sept 1st but I have some concerns about the approval of my employment pass application.

My new employer does not seem to be concerned but I cant help but be nervous with such a big move being planned from Atlanta to Singapore.

I am going to be opening an American Furniture store that is not currently in Singapore.

My salary will be $5400 SD a month before any bonuses are paid. I have more than 10 years of work history in my field but I do not have a degree.

Is my lack of a degree going to cause my application to be rejected?

:-|

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 15 Jun 2012 7:09 am

Flip a coin. With 10 years experience (provided is ALL relevant) you might get one. But I would not hold my breath as you do not have the degree to meet the requirement for a Q or P2 pass. You need an income of at least 8K/mo SGD in order to qualify for the P1 pass which doesn't have any academic qualifications attached to it. Tell they to raise your basic salary to at least 8K to be on the safe side. Otherwise, good luck. You may need it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Tigerslayer
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Tigerslayer » Fri, 15 Jun 2012 5:39 pm

I came to Singapore with 5 years of experience in my field and no degree or relevant qualifications and got a Q1 pass without issue. This was on a salary quite a bit less than 5600/month.

I also switched jobs late last year got a pass approved.

A lack of a degree won't help you. However I wouldnt see it as the defining criteria of whether you will get a pass or not. You have experience to counter that.

The real dealbreaker will likely come down to whether Singapore considers your abilities to be a commodity that is hard to find within the local talent pool.

Like SMS says you can flip a coin, because the only people who really know will be MOM. There are rarely guarantees even if you have a degree or indeed have masters.

Good luck!