Singapore Expats

Reggio Emilia-inspired pre-schools and the like

Discuss the many options of preschools and which suits your children.
tobester88

Reggio Emilia-inspired pre-schools and the like

Post by tobester88 » Wed, 13 Jun 2012 3:21 am

Hello parents,

We have currently been looking at pre-schools for our 2-year old boy, and are specifically trying to find a suitable child-led/originated type of learning environment for his super-curious nature. We've found that he learns best when he's allowed to pursue his interests. Which has led us to Reggio Emilia-inspired pre-schools and others which seem to have a more or less project-based or creativity-based approach. It's not been easy to tell whether the schools are able to practice their philosophies in our short visits.

We'd love to hear from parents whether your child's individual learning interests are attended to at any of these places:

- Blue House
- Odyssey
- Between Two Trees
- The Children's Place
- The Preparatory Place
- Little Hands
- White Lodge

Sure we've seen the comments in the forum on some of the above generally, but I guess we're trying to learn about your specific experiences when it comes to individualised attention.

Thanks!

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Mon, 18 Jun 2012 11:38 pm

I cannot speak for the schools you listed - but I do know the EtonHouse preschool on Orchard Boulevard teaches the PYP program - specializing in the Reggio Emilia method.
They've also opened a new branch on Claymore Hill - might be worth checking out?

tobester88

Post by tobester88 » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 2:24 pm

Thanks cbavasi.

We had visited both EtonHouses you suggested. The one on Claymore is indeed very new - I could even smell the tarmac in the driveway. Both are in very nice two-storey buildings, we have heard people say good things about them, and they look well administered. We were not able to get much of a Reggio Emilia feel there though.

For us, we're probably looking for a place which feels less institutional. Some of the other places we visited, it was a different vibe when the principal there also founded the nursery.

Brendan & Ning

Availability

Post by Brendan & Ning » Mon, 02 Jul 2012 6:56 pm

Just a note of warning also. We also have been looking at a good place for our 2yo aussie since moving here 3 months ago, and it can actually be more about what you can get into. We are on waitlists it seems all over the place, and are starting to have to reconsider our preferences in order to get her into somewhere.

We live in Upper Serrangoon, and there are plenty near by, but with space, NOPE.....

If anyone has kids in the age group, and knows of some vacancy, could also help.

tobester88

Post by tobester88 » Mon, 02 Jul 2012 7:40 pm

Indeed. It was difficult even to secure an appointment with Odyssey, for example.

Maybe not too far from where you live, Stamford American International School has space. We had a positive impression of the campus, administrators and student body from our visit there.

saudade

When will the search end? :-/

Post by saudade » Wed, 25 Jul 2012 3:01 am

tobester88,

I was wondering if you have already decided or gotten accepted to a preschool by now? We also have a 2 year old and he is enrolled at the twice a week playgroup at GEES but I am also interested in Blue House... since we haven't moved yet, insecurity sometimes strikes me and I am thus very grateful for anything you would like to share here. Thank you and all the best!

tobester88

Update

Post by tobester88 » Thu, 11 Oct 2012 11:55 pm

saudade,

Sorry for the late post. We moved over the summer and have just found a place to live. After a lot of searching, observing and thinking, we've enrolled our son for 2 mornings a week at Blue House to start. One of the many things that stood out for us was that the teachers do appear to be good at observing and engaging with the children, per the Reggio philosophy. If you want to see how the school is like, in the mornings they have a messy play drop-in session, which will give you a feel for the school environment.

On 2 other mornings, our son's going to Little Bunnies - the Outdoor Classroom. We like the idea that the kids spend their mornings breathing fresh air in a park, and have the opportunity to get stimulated by nature. It's only for 2-3 year olds though, so he will "graduate" next year.

The classes at these two schools are low density, which we believe is quite agreeable with the children in terms of space and teacher attention.

tiongleebeng

Re: Reggio Emilia-inspired pre-schools and the like

Post by tiongleebeng » Fri, 16 Sep 2016 11:31 am

Hey parents, you could check out little paddington preschool for their project-based curriculum. I think they have another outlet in Hougang area but we brought our 2yo girl to branch at turf club road last month when they were having an open house. Registered on the spot as they were having an early bird discount. :D We are the outdoorsy type so we were quite happy with their outdoor activity area.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 16 Sep 2016 1:40 pm

TIC...TOC...TIC...TOC......

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

collgal

Post by collgal » Tue, 21 Feb 2017 11:41 pm

You can check out LeClare Preschool as well. They have a number of expats children and their curriculum is pretty flexible.