Singapore Expats Forum

Police Clearance Checks from China

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Miss Swan
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri, 12 May 2006

Police Clearance Checks from China

Postby Miss Swan » Thu, 07 Jun 2012 5:55 pm

Well this has nothing to do with Singapore but I thought I'd try asking on this forum anyway as someone might have experienced something familiar.

I worked in Shanghai and Suzhou totalling 16 months and I need to provide police checks from these cities for migration purposes. Now the thing is, I've contacted the China Embassy here, as well as Googled around and found out that in order to obtain the certificates, I have to be in those cities in person to apply. Even if I could authorize someone to apply on my behalf (well I left China 3 years ago and have no contacts there anymore), I'd need to provide the police there with my original passport.

There's no way I'm going all the way to China to get the checks done, and I'm even more reluctant to send my passport over. Has anyone experienced a similar situation as I am in now, and managed to get around it?

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3459
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Thu, 07 Jun 2012 6:41 pm

Most countries whom supply the police check and criminal data background will require you to come in person. In SG for eg you will have to go to PCC at Cantonment. Finger print, Iris and X-ray is required to confirm the right person . You want to migrate you have to do it yourself, there is no free lunch
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Miss Swan
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri, 12 May 2006

Postby Miss Swan » Fri, 08 Jun 2012 9:52 am

Mad Scientist, not so true. Yes most countries DO require you to apply in person for police checks, provided you are in the country itself.

In my case, I worked in China 3 years ago, and now I'm back in Singapore. It's impractical for me to fly to China just to get a piece of paper. Even for foreigners who have worked in Singapore but are no longer here, all they have to do is post the application form from whichever part of the world they are in, to the Singapore Police and the police does entertain such requests.

In my case, the China Embassy does not have such services, and I am not a Chinese national. I'm more interested to know if any other expat has faced a similar issue before.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Fri, 08 Jun 2012 3:18 pm

Mad Scientist wrote: In SG for eg you will have to go to PCC at Cantonment. Finger print, Iris and X-ray is required to confirm the right person .


I wonder who decided that being finger-printed and having an iris scan was not adequate enough proof of id.

:?

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3459
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Sat, 09 Jun 2012 7:25 pm

Miss Swan wrote:Mad Scientist, not so true. Yes most countries DO require you to apply in person for police checks, provided you are in the country itself.

In my case, I worked in China 3 years ago, and now I'm back in Singapore. It's impractical for me to fly to China just to get a piece of paper. Even for foreigners who have worked in Singapore but are no longer here, all they have to do is post the application form from whichever part of the world they are in, to the Singapore Police and the police does entertain such requests.

In my case, the China Embassy does not have such services, and I am not a Chinese national. I'm more interested to know if any other expat has faced a similar issue before.


Absolutely incorrect. for migration purpose or even for court retrieval procedures which has to come from the court or lawyers appointed by the court,other than that you have to come in person.
Show me one proof that you can get Police Check from CID thru PCC by post application .
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Miss Swan
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri, 12 May 2006

Postby Miss Swan » Mon, 11 Jun 2012 11:52 am

This is what is stated on the SPF website:

http://www.spf.gov.sg/epc/cert_issued.htm

"Applicants residing overseas should submit their applications (original) addressed to: Head Criminal Records, CID ( COC ), Blk D Police Cantonment Complex, #02-07/08, 391 New Bridge Road , Singapore 088762."

Granted that the above rule only applies to Singapore citizens and does not state what should be the process for foreigners, the same rule applies for foreigners. A foreigner posted his experience on this on a migration forum. If you still do not believe this, give the Police Checks department a call.

This is not court documentation and surprisingly the SPF is quite understanding on this issue. I can't fathom why you refuse to believe my previous post, unless you're from the police force itself.

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3459
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Mon, 11 Jun 2012 3:00 pm

Miss Swan wrote:This is what is stated on the SPF website:

http://www.spf.gov.sg/epc/cert_issued.htm

"Applicants residing overseas should submit their applications (original) addressed to: Head Criminal Records, CID ( COC ), Blk D Police Cantonment Complex, #02-07/08, 391 New Bridge Road , Singapore 088762."

Granted that the above rule only applies to Singapore citizens and does not state what should be the process for foreigners, the same rule applies for foreigners. A foreigner posted his experience on this on a migration forum. If you still do not believe this, give the Police Checks department a call.

This is not court documentation and surprisingly the SPF is quite understanding on this issue. I can't fathom why you refuse to believe my previous post, unless you're from the police force itself.



I have done this myself and I have gone thru it and before they can provide the criminal check, they have to X-ray you and take your photos and finger print. This was before I migrated to OZ.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Miss Swan
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri, 12 May 2006

Postby Miss Swan » Mon, 11 Jun 2012 3:32 pm

That was probably an old policy. I'm sure SPF has made the process much more flexible now.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Mon, 11 Jun 2012 3:35 pm

I'm rather intrigued where the X-ray comes into it. Is it some form of confirmation of identity?

Miss Swan
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri, 12 May 2006

Postby Miss Swan » Mon, 11 Jun 2012 4:44 pm

JR8 wrote:I'm rather intrigued where the X-ray comes into it. Is it some form of confirmation of identity?


To be honest, I have never heard of an X-ray being required for police checks, even for foreigners. X-rays are usually for health checks, not police checks.

User avatar
Vaucluse
Director
Director
Posts: 3443
Joined: Sun, 10 Jul 2005

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 11 Jun 2012 7:56 pm

Miss Swan wrote:It's impractical for me to fly to China just to get a piece of paper.


Quite abhorrent of the coolies to force you to do something impractical (for you) . . . ah, the times of sending gunships to show these Johnny Foreigners how to behave is, alas, long gone
......................................................

'nuff said Image

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3459
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Tue, 12 Jun 2012 4:24 pm

Miss Swan wrote:
JR8 wrote:I'm rather intrigued where the X-ray comes into it. Is it some form of confirmation of identity?


To be honest, I have never heard of an X-ray being required for police checks, even for foreigners. X-rays are usually for health checks, not police checks.


When I had to submit my OZ application , we need to provide criminal background check with the application. I went to PCC, I think on the 6th floor and requested this for migration purpose. I filled up the form, paid $60 . Then on go to this room where the officer press my body against a circular "X-ray" like machine, I had to turn to both sides and front to take my photos, finger printed. I think there was an Iris scan too. One week later, I collected the doc but not until I have to answer questionaires why I wanted to migrate which I find it rather silly. The worst part the questions are all there for you tick or cross out the boxes without even the need to write anything else. NS issues, PAP being "big brother" and other contentious issue that the Gahmen already know but just wanted you to state the obvious
Years before when I had my Swedish PR, I had to do the same thing but less rigorous than this.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Tue, 12 Jun 2012 4:41 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:
Miss Swan wrote:
JR8 wrote:I'm rather intrigued where the X-ray comes into it. Is it some form of confirmation of identity?


To be honest, I have never heard of an X-ray being required for police checks, even for foreigners. X-rays are usually for health checks, not police checks.


When I had to submit my OZ application , we need to provide criminal background check with the application. I went to PCC, I think on the 6th floor and requested this for migration purpose. I filled up the form, paid $60 . Then on go to this room where the officer press my body against a circular "X-ray" like machine, I had to turn to both sides and front to take my photos, finger printed. I think there was an Iris scan too. One week later, I collected the doc but not until I have to answer questionaires why I wanted to migrate which I find it rather silly. The worst part the questions are all there for you tick or cross out the boxes without even the need to write anything else. NS issues, PAP being "big brother" and other contentious issue that the Gahmen already know but just wanted you to state the obvious
Years before when I had my Swedish PR, I had to do the same thing but less rigorous than this.


It's just iris scan and finger prints now. And they send your clearance directly to the requesting entity when applicable.

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3459
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Tue, 12 Jun 2012 5:46 pm

naks : I saw that Bourne thingey, you ......you .......not fair as a mod you cannot modify nor nullify or humidify the facts..... nice very nice............
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Tue, 12 Jun 2012 9:01 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:naks : I saw that Bourne thingey, you ......you .......not fair as a mod you cannot modify nor nullify or humidify the facts..... nice very nice............


Don't need to be a mod to do it, as long as it's in the text field as you quote a post. :wink:


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: hgmfgdf and 1 guest