Singapore Expats

Malaysian immigration: no more D/E cards?

Discuss travel and holidays tips and advice here.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Malaysian immigration: no more D/E cards?

Post by JR8 » Mon, 04 Jun 2012 3:44 pm

I hear that Malaysia has done away with D/E cards, instead giving you a bar-coded sticker in your passport that is over-stamped, and the non-adhesive half removed on departure.

I can't seem to find any formal announcement of how this scheme works. Is it only for visitors to Johore state? Or for everybody?

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Mon, 04 Jun 2012 3:47 pm

I don't know where it is, but about a month ago there was an article in the paper saying that the cards weren't being done away with but on my next trip to MY there were none at immigration so we didn't fill any in.

It seems to be that they're having issues keeping sufficient stocks in place. Not sure what the final outcome is going to be.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 04 Jun 2012 3:52 pm

Hmmmm... seems strange the lack of cards correlates with a passport sticker half of which is collected on departure (i.e. does the job of the D/E card).

Still Malaysia seem to change their procedures re: immigration quite frequently, so maybe it is a case of watch this space?

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Mon, 04 Jun 2012 6:29 pm

That it does, but there is a whole bunch of info that they're not getting - like tourism stats on why you're going into the country. I've not entered through a port other than Woodlands in ages - so don't know what the status is with the airports and such.

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Tue, 05 Jun 2012 3:37 pm

It's in effect in East Malaysia, too. Seems a much faster process and much better for us tourists! There must be record sharing between Counties, either that or they just don't care about the stats anymore.

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by scarbowl » Wed, 06 Jun 2012 10:27 am

Could be related to the Iskander project where they've sunk billions and desperately need those from the Singapore side to enter easily. The cards are/were an obstacle to quick and easy transit. Perhaps?

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Wed, 06 Jun 2012 10:37 am

URL CENSORED DUE TO COPYRIGHT ISSUES

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Wed, 06 Jun 2012 10:41 am

carteki wrote:URL CENSORED DUE TO COPYRIGHT ISSUES
Okay - found another source ... on 23 Nov 11 there was an announcement saying that the reason for no white cards was lack of stock (also birdcage liner related source so cannot give link)

But it is official that of 1 June 2012 no white cards are being used. http://www.business-standard.com/genera ... e-1/12034/

beenthere
Regular
Regular

Post by beenthere » Wed, 06 Jun 2012 12:29 pm

I was in Langkawi in January - had the new stick on 1/2 and tear off 1/2 visit pass in the passport.

Aside: I still do not get it why the bird-cage liner is so anal. An url link will actually drive traffic to them. I've been here 2 years now and have stopped reading the rag a year ago. I get local news relevant to me right here.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 11 Jun 2012 4:23 pm

And another thing re: visas.

Queuing up for immigration in Indonesia, the guy next to me (Danish) showed me a new half-page sized visa that they give you, instead of the previous full-page one. Strange as when my turn came they gave me a full page one. He had said he had a house there but there was no suggestion he was on other than a visitor's visa.

More importantly though he paid for his US$25 visa using IDR. I said I didn't think that possible, and he replied you can pay in most major currencies including IDR. i.e. US$25 might be the benchmark cost they work to, but there is no compulsion to pay it in US$.

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Mon, 11 Jun 2012 6:33 pm

JR8 wrote:More importantly though he paid for his US$25 visa using IDR. I said I didn't think that possible, and he replied you can pay in most major currencies including IDR. i.e. US$25 might be the benchmark cost they work to, but there is no compulsion to pay it in US$.
It is possible to pay using foreign currencies. They quote the amount in foreign currency, but almost always it is best to pay in US - in Bintan / Batam you pay SGD20 or US10 - or something like that.

A 1/2 page visa is a treat though!