Singapore Expats

Expats - Don't shop at Hawker Markets

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 05 Jun 2012 7:04 am

Aster, ain't that the truth! :)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 05 Jun 2012 8:56 am

Isn't it a bit about the comfort of shopping without a constant need of 'knowing' and analysizng the prices? I bet majority of Western tourists have no clue what should be the right price even if it gets down to buying a watermelon.

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Tue, 05 Jun 2012 4:20 pm

x9200 wrote:Isn't it a bit about the comfort of shopping without a constant need of 'knowing' and analysizng the prices? I bet majority of Western tourists have no clue what should be the right price even if it gets down to buying a watermelon.
whether watermelon or tailor-made trousers.. it always pays to laugh off the first price quoted.

BigSis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BigSis » Tue, 05 Jun 2012 6:59 pm

x9200 wrote:Isn't it a bit about the comfort of shopping without a constant need of 'knowing' and analysizng the prices?
it certainly is and TBH I've got better things to do with my time than spend 5 minutes haggling over a bloody melon.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Fri, 08 Jun 2012 11:56 pm

i'm sorry to hear about your experience...

my wife's east asian (not china). she has lived here for a good many years and can switch to a local'esque accent when ordering food, especially when using short singlish words.

she sometimes experiences the same "discrimination" when buying from various non-chinese (?) stores, especially when the salesperson is not singaporean and/or chinese.

so what you experienced is NOT unique to non-asians. and it doesn't only happen in singapore.

eg, she once bought indian food from a stall in little india - $15 for takeaway rice and 1 serving of fish and veggies. she scoffed and left in a huff to the stall next door.

vote with your wallet and know that supporting small business is not the same as getting ripped off.