Singapore Expats

Advice on moving to Singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
SusieW

Advice on moving to Singapore

Post by SusieW » Thu, 31 May 2012 6:32 pm

My husband, daughters (aged 5 and 3) and I are moving to Singapore this year (hubby in July and me a few months later after things are wrapped up in the UK), and although I've lived in Asia before that was pre-children, and many years ago.

Any practical advice from those of you who have relocated would be fab. We are not planning on shipping very much (mostly personal things) but is there anything else you would advise we bring? Is it worth shipping our TV and other electrical appliances? Are there things you shipped that you wish you hadn't?

All advice gratefully received!

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Fri, 01 Jun 2012 4:14 pm

Singapore TV program is even worse than Europe's, so not worth bringing (or having) a TV.
I lived here without one for 12 years.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Fri, 01 Jun 2012 9:58 pm

It all depends on whether your employer is covering the freight costs, both to Singapore and onwards from here when the time comes. Not sure I'd ship a lot of stuff if I had to pay for it out of my own pocket, but if it was part of my relocation package then that would be an entirely different story...