Singapore Expats Forum

How often can an European enter without a visa?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
ClaraLara

How often can an European enter without a visa?

Postby ClaraLara » Tue, 29 May 2012 10:30 pm

Hello there,

I hope I am not doubleposting!If I am, I am really sorry.

My girlfriend will probably move to Singapore in a few month for work. It will take some years there.
As I am still a student I might come for visit often. I read all the notices about the entry but I am still not sure.
I am European, I found out that normally I may stay for 90 days without any visa.
First will I get the 90 day permit at the entry if I have a flight back in 90 days or do I have to go to some other department to get this longer term?
Secondly I am really worried that they might not get my in for about 90 days repeatedly? Like 3 - 4 times a year. Will that be a problem?
I don't see any chances to get a visa for that period. Is there anything I might not have thought about?

I would be really glad if anyone could help me out!
Thanks in advance!

carteki
Editor
Editor

Postby carteki » Tue, 29 May 2012 11:09 pm

If you are a student elsewhere (have evidence) and you come to SG with a return ticket back to your destination - this shouldn't be a problem as long as your time out the country is not just a few days.

They are getting strickter. They stopped my 60 yo mom at the airport because she was flying in on a one way ticket and couldn't give the flight number of the return trip (different airline because we'd used airmiles). We were aslo leaving in 2 days for Malaysia, but as I'd done all the bookings - well, no go there either.

I also got stopped today leaving London on the 2nd half of a return ticket. usually they see my EU ppt and don't bat an eyelid. This time they wouldn't even by the "I'm going to MY by bus" - they wanted to see the ticket.

ClaraLara

Postby ClaraLara » Wed, 30 May 2012 1:17 am

Thank you so much for your positive answer!
I am just worried a lot, because if this doesn't work it wouldn't be a possibility for us!
No I won't go just for some days and then return. I would got back to Europe and come back a month or more later! Otherwise it would be far too expensive!
I heard around here in the forum that people won't get an entry when the return for a lot of times, but it wasn't with European citizens (I think they were from Thailand), so I wanted to get sure it was for some other reasons.

But would it be ok if we would go on vacation somewhere in Asia or Australia for a week or more and then return? Or could that give problems than too to get another month or something?
(Maybe won't happen because it's already a long time to go for 90 days but as an example! That would not be to get around the terms, would be because we like to go on vacation somewhere around - but for sure the people at the entry will hear that often!)

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed, 30 May 2012 1:48 am

Most European countries will get 90 days Social Visit Pass. If you are here on sightseeing to other destination and back to SG that will not be an issue.
If you need to extend after 90 days staying in SG, you need a local sponsor.
Make sure as carteki states that you have return tickets.
You cannot do visa runs to Johor or Batam for the purpose of extending stayin gin SG or you will see the Changi airport gate faster than you can count. You are not allowed to work nor freelancing while on SVP.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

ClaraLara

Postby ClaraLara » Wed, 30 May 2012 5:50 pm

Thank you very much for your answer mad scientist.
Now I know that I will get there to see my friend and that I can stay to enjoy Singapore too. Fantastic! And I know what to do and what not to do (-;
What do you mean with a local sponsor?

I will deal with the point that I'll have to have my return tickets. But that works.

Okay I will have to do my studies anyway so no time for work anyways.

Thanks to you both for your help!

ClaraLara

Postby ClaraLara » Wed, 30 May 2012 5:53 pm

another question just to see it right... I can go to Batam within my 90 days visa.... I only should not do it for the purpose of extending my staying in SG, right?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Wed, 30 May 2012 9:38 pm

Correct.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: How often can an European enter without a visa?

Postby JR8 » Thu, 31 May 2012 11:08 am

ClaraLara wrote:Secondly I am really worried that they might not get my in for about 90 days repeatedly? Like 3 - 4 times a year. Will that be a problem?
I don't see any chances to get a visa for that period. Is there anything I might not have thought about?

Sounds to me like you are trying to effectively live in SG on SVPs. Sooner or later the $hit will seriously hit the fan (like entry being refused).

If your girlfriend mean that much to you, then consider whether you can get a common-law spouse DP. If you're not qualified for that then I'd have to ask why you wish to live with her only now that she is moving abroad?

ClaraLara

Postby ClaraLara » Thu, 31 May 2012 11:01 pm

JR 8 your are absolutly right and I would love to get a common-law spouse DP.
No I will not just living with her in Singapore, we also live together back home and this job offer drives me crazy, as I can't just go and live in Singapore for that time too.
I am sorry to ask you, but as I am not a native speaker I am not sure enough what exactly you mean, do you mean spouse as a married couple or as a couple living together?
I didn't make it clear earlier, as I was certain that there are no chances for a dp anyways, we are a gay couple, engaged. That's why I would like to try to get over as much as possible. Would be like 2-3 month in Singapore, about one month back and so on. But if there are any chances to get a DP, I would surely try it.

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Thu, 31 May 2012 11:35 pm

ClaraLara wrote:JR 8 your are absolutly right and I would love to get a common-law spouse DP.
No I will not just living with her in Singapore, we also live together back home and this job offer drives me crazy, as I can't just go and live in Singapore for that time too.
I am sorry to ask you, but as I am not a native speaker I am not sure enough what exactly you mean, do you mean spouse as a married couple or as a couple living together?
I didn't make it clear earlier, as I was certain that there are no chances for a dp anyways, we are a gay couple, engaged. That's why I would like to try to get over as much as possible. Would be like 2-3 month in Singapore, about one month back and so on. But if there are any chances to get a DP, I would surely try it.

There were other gay couples who somehow found a way to get visas for their partners. Try using the search function to find these threads (try "same sex").

ClaraLara

Postby ClaraLara » Fri, 01 Jun 2012 12:11 am

thx I tried that already and am reading through it. :lol:
Are there any new experiences wheather I can apply for a dp or a ltsv? And if anyone here reads it and has an idea, which way is more promising, having a civil union or proving a common-law spouse?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Sun, 03 Jun 2012 6:21 pm

ClaraLara wrote:JR 8 your are absolutly right and I would love to get a common-law spouse DP.

It has been done before, but unfortunately it is not something that crops up each week and definitive feedback is thin on the ground.

The rules are strict to control the masses, many of whom would exploit any laxity. But facility is made for your circumstances, so think positively! :)

'Common law spouse' is a relationship where the couple have lived together as a household and it legally amounts to a de facto marriage (i.e. property rights etc). Singapore used to use the word spouse exclusively to mean husband or wife. Just recently the term has been broadened to include common-law spouse, and same-sex spouse.

I didn't make it clear earlier, as I was certain that there are no chances for a dp anyways, we are a gay couple, engaged. That's why I would like to try to get over as much as possible.

You wouldn't be the first to achieve this via entirely legitimate channels.

Would be like 2-3 month in Singapore, about one month back and so on.

Spending over half the year in Singapore on 'holiday', where most visitors stay something like an average of 2.5 days is sure to send up the red flags at some point in time. Far better to pursue the proper channels.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 12 Jun 2012 5:50 pm

In the end we don't know what was actually issued as it has not been completed as of yet (I think maybe in July). But this was a unique situation of a same sex couple but one was a returning Singaporean. They are going to give the partner an LTVP but is not allowed to work. We never found out just how/if the lawyers actually managed to do anything and with all out discussion, shows just how ungrateful some people can be, as she deleted a considerable number of her posts after she quite posting.

ftopic86350.html

As far as getting a dependent's pass, again, it's only hearsay and not documented facts by a poster.

rabete1

Same situation....

Postby rabete1 » Thu, 27 Sep 2012 4:01 pm

Hi,

This is to avoid starting another duplicate thread, but if JR8, ClaraLara, or Sundaymorningstaple have any more insights they could share privately I would appreciate it if you could send me a PM.

It looks like there is a lot more information to be shared "offline" or "unofficially" than I will find in public forums.

I am a newbie still so cant initiate a PM yet.
Thanks
Thomas (rabete1)

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Same situation....

Postby the lynx » Thu, 27 Sep 2012 4:07 pm

rabete1 wrote:Hi,

This is to avoid starting another duplicate thread, but if JR8, ClaraLara, or Sundaymorningstaple have any more insights they could share privately I would appreciate it if you could send me a PM.

It looks like there is a lot more information to be shared "offline" or "unofficially" than I will find in public forums.

I am a newbie still so cant initiate a PM yet.
Thanks
Thomas (rabete1)

What exactly are you looking for actually? You didn't say it here.