Singapore Expats

Special Needs School

Are you looking for a Special Needs School for your child? Discuss the options here.
Dionne

Special Needs School

Post by Dionne » Mon, 28 May 2012 7:25 pm

Can anyone give me any guidance in a special needs school for my 5 year old?
He has Global Developmental Delay and Autism Spectrum Disorder. Has has severe learning difficulties and cannot communicate although he does have some level of understanding.
He is mobile though does have hyper mobility.
There is a chance my husband could be transferred to Singapore from UK so need to make sure that my son will be ok.
Also if you have a special needs child it would be great to hear from you and how you find living in Singapore, what difficulties you have encountered etc.

hapa-girl

Post by hapa-girl » Tue, 29 May 2012 2:03 pm

Hi,
You could try and contact Dover Court. I know that they do cater for certain special needs. Also, they go by the UK system so it will be familiar and comfortable for you and your son.

Robnc

Post by Robnc » Tue, 29 May 2012 11:48 pm

Hi Dionne.

I would call Genesis school. They specialize in autistic kids, GDD and all types of special needs, plus their principal is so helpful and a wealth of knowledge about Singapore, doctors, med clinics who are helpful with meds for ADHD etc. you can't ask for more supportive people. My son is aspergers and we looked at Genesis ourselves, but went more mainstream. Good luck!!!

Rob

wblian

Special needs support

Post by wblian » Fri, 17 Aug 2012 1:47 pm

Hi Dionne

For your 5-year-old child with GDD and ASD, you can certainly check out those schools mentioned (Genesis, Dover Court) but you might want to check out Kits4Kids which provides specific programmes for ASD. These are private schools. There is also St Gerard's which does provide for that age group. I ahve had good feedback from some of my patients who attended Kits4Kids and St Gerard's.

Cheers