Singapore Expats

is it this difficult to be nice in singapore? !

Events and gatherings for the 30's Club
imacy

is it this difficult to be nice in singapore? !

Post by imacy » Thu, 24 May 2012 11:39 pm

I went with friends to singapore flyer today and we happened to have some extra pre-paid tickets as some friends can't make it.

As those are pre-paid tickets, we don't want to waste them by just throwing away, nor do we want to take extra ride of the flyer, so we decided to give to people who in need, for free of course.

We approached some people, explained those tickets are for free, cuz our friends can't make it blah blah, they said no and rather to pay and buy the tickets. I am a bit surprised and felt awkward cuz they gave us a really weird look as if there is some doggy stuff behind.

I remember especially that we tried to give the tickets to a family who was queuing for tickets, everything explained, the mother of the family gave us a really cold look and said 'I don't know'... and we said those are seriously for free, we are not going to charge u anything.. she just stand there and rolled the eyes and put on her poker face. they went ahead and bought the ticket, and the lady looked at me once again and said coldly, where is the entrance? I was not thinking at that moment and just point the direction for her. ( to be honest, now think back, I should just gave her a cold shoulder instead, as she was really cold to me and friends, the way she asked me for direction is more like a command for information and did not thank me afterwards anyway)

We run into the family after the ride, passed by each other, the lady again gave me a really cold glance.

This is a really uncomfortable experience and I now just wondering why it is soooo damn difficult to be nice here?!

tetrag

Post by tetrag » Thu, 24 May 2012 11:47 pm

Hey same experience with me, people here don't believe in free things, i just don't understand why, I tried the same last time, just a different thing

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 25 May 2012 12:27 am

Nothing is free in Asia. It may say free gif (note spelling) but will also say wif (note spelling again) purchase. Everything here has a hook. They don't believe in giving for the sake of just giving. To them everything has a price else it's not worth anything. Kinda sucky, but there you go.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bubblesgal

Post by bubblesgal » Fri, 25 May 2012 4:01 pm

Hey sorry to hear you had such an unpleasant experience.

I think some people would have loved and appreciated your kindness. it's too bad you didn't come across the nicer ones.

I guess alot of people are jaded and sometimes someone tells you its free and you take it and then they ask you for a donation or to do a survey or information.

Even if they didn't want the tickets, they shouldn't have been rude or given you the cold shoulder. it's bad behavior on their part.

Don't be jaded or discouraged. There are lots of ppl who would appreciate your kindness and honestly alot of low income families who are really struggling and need help.

Keep being nice, you'll meet the nice people =)

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 25 May 2012 4:12 pm

Some people here really have behavioural issues. But that's very nice of you to give away free tickets to strangers :) Don't let some sour puss ruin it for you.

Most people do not believe in graciousness and freebies, especially from random strangers. But watch out when a shop announces freebies, you may wanna get out of way or else get trampled on stampede :P

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 25 May 2012 4:52 pm

http://www.cnngo.com/singapore/none/mcd ... sco-371923

And this you still had to buy something....... Two separate incidences. The other one a doctor involved in the fight......

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... _58735039/
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Fri, 25 May 2012 5:11 pm

That's too bad for you imacy...but know that there are still polite people in Asia, heck...there are still some in Singapore.

I had the same kind of experience at one time in Indonesia. Although I was at the other end, and I was going to watch a movie.

I politely declined, not because I didn't trust the guy, but because it's not the movie I want to watch with my friends. (t'was a chick flick, and the guy had to leave with his girlfriend or something...)

One thing that I was amazed, is that there's actually a guy giving out the tickets for free without any catch. And that's rare! I ended up talking to my friends with a smile because such a thing hasn't died yet...and we do a little more generosity that day......okay, I made that last thing up, but you get my point.

So, keep on believing in kindness, imacy...but also don't forget, not to be taken for a sap...too gullible and you'll be walked all over.

budse
Regular
Regular

Post by budse » Fri, 25 May 2012 5:34 pm

only if i know you, i will be more than happy to receive your free sg flyer tix.

:D

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Fri, 25 May 2012 6:22 pm

Hur hur hur, that McDonalds woman is called Fanny Lai! hur hur hur!
nutnut

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 25 May 2012 8:05 pm

Next time charge $20 for them :) Then they'll be tripping over each other to save $3.

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Mon, 11 Jun 2012 10:00 am

I remembered this post as I had received my free tickets the other day...

Basically I went to GV on a whim after work to watch Prometheus, and somebody just gave out tickets for the next movie playing. I took it, and like 5 more people took it, the only question was "Do I need to pay?" (which I was willing to anyway...) and she said, "No, everything is paid for. Just go watch the movie."

Although, we do get the front-most seats, but hey, who doesn't want free tickets?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 11 Jun 2012 4:00 pm

I think it is a combination of things,

SG must have the highest proportion of people I can think of who earn a living by selling stuff on commission on the street. So each day is a struggle fending off people trying to sell you stuff.

As has been mentioned SGns don't do free, so it'll be presumed that there has to be some catch.

Ironic that they'll queue five times around Raffles Place to get 10 cents of free tat they didn't realise they needed minutes earlier and yet decline $20 tickets that they're about to buy anyway.