Singapore Expats Forum

hmmm, anybody interested in gun shooting??

Events and gatherings for the 30's Club
imacy

hmmm, anybody interested in gun shooting??

Postby imacy » Thu, 24 May 2012 4:28 pm

not paint balls, real gun, real shooting LOL

I am thinking of going to singapore gun club and try some gun shooting during weekend( I never done that before, thats why, LOL) , and they do have 1 day memeber ship which is not very expensive and if anybody interested, maybe can go together?

M

therat
Reporter
Reporter

Postby therat » Thu, 24 May 2012 9:36 pm

http://www.singaporegunclub.com/?Membership

Ordinary Membership is open to only citizens of Singapore and regular servicemen and servicewomen of the Singapore Armed Forces.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 24 May 2012 10:05 pm

therat,

Asssociate Membership is open to other nationalities as well. The only different between the two is that Full membership has voting rights.

vishalgupta2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby vishalgupta2 » Thu, 24 May 2012 10:36 pm

I am not sure if its expensive by local standards, but I think shooting at this place is VERY expensive (atleast compared to the prices I am used to).

$65 for membership (read 1 day lane fee)

This includes 25 rounds.

I have been shooting for sometime and I can tell you that 25 rounds are good for less than 5 minutes. Before you even realize how to hold the gun properly you would be done with your 25 rounds.

The fee per box of 25 rounds is 20-22.5%

If you were shooting for about an hour (excluding some kind of gun lesson), you are looking at shooting atleast 200 - 300 rounds.

Please brace yourself for spending around 200-250 bucks for basic shooting experience.

I said basic coz from the photos on the website I don't think they have any big guns.

imacy

Postby imacy » Thu, 24 May 2012 11:17 pm

what?! 200+... thats expensive....

well, i never done that before, so I think I will still try 1 time :oops:

tetrag

Postby tetrag » Thu, 24 May 2012 11:45 pm

So how? you going? :roll:

vishalgupta2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby vishalgupta2 » Thu, 24 May 2012 11:58 pm

imacy wrote:what?! 200+... thats expensive....

I am not trying to discourage you from trying it. Shooting is definitely worth trying atleast once.

I just wanted to set your expectations right based on my experience with those loudly powerful metallic toys.

Try to see if you can get your hands on something like a AR 15 (.223 remington), they are loud and have a decent recoil (yes, you have to stand in proper posture to shoot them)

By all standards, have fun and please come back to share your experience.

imacy

Postby imacy » Fri, 25 May 2012 12:20 am

vishalgupta2 wrote:
imacy wrote:what?! 200+... thats expensive....

I am not trying to discourage you from trying it. Shooting is definitely worth trying atleast once.

I just wanted to set your expectations right based on my experience with those loudly powerful metallic toys.

Try to see if you can get your hands on something like a AR 15 (.223 remington), they are loud and have a decent recoil (yes, you have to stand in proper posture to shoot them)

By all standards, have fun and please come back to share your experience.

Hey, no worries, I understand that. It did took me by surprise that the cost of shooting could be this high, thought 25 rounds would last long so I thought, hmm, 65 dollar is kinda cheap LOL

and agree, worth to try shooting for at least once, so ya I'm so gonna try that :)

vishalgupta2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby vishalgupta2 » Fri, 25 May 2012 12:26 am

A round is just a bullet. It takes no time to click the trigger and get the bullet flying off ur toy.

btw, I have know someone who thought a round was a magazine full of bullets.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 25 May 2012 12:43 am

An AR-15 has a recoil? My son is currently doing his NS. During BMT his Weapons Instructor was demonstrating and so forth with the various Singapore rifles when he asked if anybody had every shot a gun before. The only boy in the company was my son. When asked what he was shooting, he replied a 12 gauge Mossberg with a rifled slug. The instructor told him well, you sure don't have anything to be afraid of as everything we have will feel like a pellet gun in comparison.

Use a shotgun if you was something that feels like a gun. Otherwise don't waste your time as you will be disappointed. Or, instead of a rifle, get a pistol. I started hunting with a 12 gauge when I was 12 years old, shot my first 8 point buck at 14. Been hunting ever since. I think there are 23 long guns of various sorts (from .22 to .50 calibre patch & ball flintlock) and 9 pistols (.22 to .45) back on the farm. Gotta watch us ole farmboys! :lol:

vishalgupta2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby vishalgupta2 » Fri, 25 May 2012 12:56 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:An AR-15 has a recoil? My son is currently doing his NS. During BMT his Weapons Instructor was demonstrating and so forth with the various Singapore rifles when he asked if anybody had every shot a gun before. The only boy in the company was my son. When asked what he was shooting, he replied a 12 gauge Mossberg with a rifled slug. The instructor told him well, you sure don't have anything to be afraid of as everything we have will feel like a pellet gun in comparison.

Use a shotgun if you was something that feels like a gun. Otherwise don't waste your time as you will be disappointed. Or, instead of a rifle, get a pistol. I started hunting with a 12 gauge when I was 12 years old, shot my first 8 point buck at 14. Been hunting ever since. I think there are 23 long guns of various sorts (from .22 to .50 calibre patch & ball flintlock) and 9 pistols (.22 to .45) back on the farm. Gotta watch us ole farmboys! :lol:

I totally agree with you. Nothing beats a shotgun. I agree AR15 doesn't have lot of recoil but you atleast get to feel something (for a starter like OP, imagine how terrible it would be to shoot a .22 or a .177 rifle). The biggest I have ever tried is a AK-47. Looking to try out a Beltfed machinegun (if I get an appointment) before I move in to Singapore in about 10 days.

As far as ole farmboys thing, hats off to you. I know beyond doubt that the 'ole farmboys' rock. Hats off. I have yet to go hunting, only been doing shooting at the ranges and some at my backyard for a few years.

vishalgupta2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby vishalgupta2 » Mon, 28 May 2012 1:23 pm

OP: Were you able to go shooting? Had fun?

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Mon, 28 May 2012 4:20 pm

Trying a magnum pistol for the first time is a bit of eye opener! Tore the skin off my thumb with the recoil.

The new S&W 500 would be a laugh!

imacy

Postby imacy » Sat, 02 Jun 2012 8:52 pm

bit of an update for this gun shooting thing.

Yes I did it, wahaha!!!

it was so fun, I expected small gun like pistol but they have shotgun which is soooo cool. Me and friends shot the moving clay targets. 25 rounds, took about 2 hours, cuz I'm total beginner so the trainer has to correct my position almost every time. In the end, 25 target, got 6, not so awful for a newbie i think, hahaha!!! :D

yan3080
Regular
Regular

Postby yan3080 » Fri, 15 Jun 2012 8:15 am

imacy wrote:bit of an update for this gun shooting thing.

Yes I did it, wahaha!!!

it was so fun, I expected small gun like pistol but they have shotgun which is soooo cool. Me and friends shot the moving clay targets. 25 rounds, took about 2 hours, cuz I'm total beginner so the trainer has to correct my position almost every time. In the end, 25 target, got 6, not so awful for a newbie i think, hahaha!!! :D

look like fun and exciting.But i scare i will spend alot .Becoz previous posts mention,25 rounds only last 5 mins. If add on more rounds need to
pay more and more $$.. :?