Singapore Expats Forum

Just Curious

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

asdfgh

Just Curious

Postby asdfgh » Wed, 23 May 2012 7:58 pm

Hi All,

Lately I have been reading through this forum extensively and have learnt a lot from here. Thanks all.

I’m a Canadian national, a relatively recent engineering graduate from a good institution. I have about 1.5 years work experience in total. I accepted a job in Singapore in a company in the renewable energy sector. The position is of a junior engineer and pays USD 50k per annum. I have worked in Singapore in 2009 for a period of 7 months under the Training Employment Pass when my Dad was relocated there temporarily at that time. I am also aware about the current political climate and unpredictable nature of the employment pass system. I understand that some applications take a few hours and others a few weeks.
My company has applied for the employment pass about 3 weeks ago and the status is still pending. Is it likely for the pass to get rejected after waiting this long? I mean if the applicant does not meet the criteria, it should be rejected in early stages?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 23 May 2012 8:29 pm

Sad to say, but there is absolutely no correlation between how long it's been pending and whether or not it will or will not be rejected. We've seen them for a month or 6 weeks and then rejected as well as approved in 24 hours. All you can do is hang in there and wait it out.

asdfgh

Thank you

Postby asdfgh » Thu, 24 May 2012 10:57 am

Hello sms,

Thank you for your response. My employment pass has been approved!

I'll stick around this forum and help out others. Cheers!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 24 May 2012 12:05 pm

Congratulations. See Virginia, there IS a Santa Claus! :cool: