Singapore Expats Forum

Divorce advice

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Fri, 25 Jul 2008 3:06 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:a good friend of mine is a lawyer who handles a lot of divorce cases. send me a pm and i'll put you in touch with her if you want. take care.
No wonder you are put off! :lol: :P Only joking. Just make sure he's a multi-millionaire, before you jump in.

Money might not be everything, but I'm sure it helps :)

Xeena. Do you think the court will consider this an "Unreasonable behaviour"?

It's a 50/50 chance if your hubby doesn't contest it
Last edited by ksl on Fri, 25 Jul 2008 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: How to settle

Postby ksl » Fri, 25 Jul 2008 3:20 pm

confuselose wrote:Need help here..
Already received the divorce paper and now is to settle the flat.
Got to stay selling the HDB flat.

Question:-

1. The ex-wife seems to be relentuct to sell and keep delaying the selling process (getting evaluation and getting a buyer). Any way to penalties or stop her from delaying ?

2. Currently, she is still staying at the house. Can I stop paying for the electrical bills?

Please help or advise.

Why not give her the option to buy from you? If you have the final divorce paper, you will know what you have to pay towards her keep, if anything.

If you just stop the utility bill and it's in your name, you will still be liable for payment, because the house will be in your name, if not she will be responsible. It's never easy, but try to be calm with the ex, help her and advise her what is best...maybe she can buy you out, and then rent a room out. It's all pointless and stressful to have so muh anger..play it cool and impress her.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 25 Jul 2008 4:40 pm

ksl, you really do need to start looking at the date of the original threads before you answer. See when the post by WIMH was originally posted. The Lawyer referred to may well by sitting on the bench by now. :P

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Fri, 25 Jul 2008 10:00 pm

And they say it's women who keep dredging up the past! :lol:

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Fri, 25 Jul 2008 11:31 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:ksl, you really do need to start looking at the date of the original threads before you answer. See when the post by WIMH was originally posted. The Lawyer referred to may well by sitting on the bench by now. :P
SMS

I couldn't resist the temptation, after knowing that she was middle aged and still single, thought the lawyer friend may have a negative impact on anyone thinking of marriage, especially dealing with divorce..........OUCH!

Sorry WIMH ....I know you are not middle aged really :lol: Just teasing! But don't you think a divorce lawyer friend maybe, makes you think twice?

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sat, 26 Jul 2008 8:03 am

ksl wrote:Sorry WIMH ....I know you are not middle aged really :lol: Just teasing! But don't you think a divorce lawyer friend maybe, makes you think twice?

Not twice. A million times! And yes, I am middle-aged and single, I guess. Just like my lawyer friend. The odd thing is, while we would welcome a viable relationship, we are perfectly happy on our own and have a built a good life around singlehood. We can't understand why married people pity us, because sometimes we pity them! :D

emeraldemerald

Contacts Please

Postby emeraldemerald » Sat, 26 Jul 2008 2:16 pm

Hi 'Wind in the hair', I would very much appreciate it if you could put me through your lawyer friend. I'm looking at an annulment case thanks..I'm unable to send you a pm as its I've got not enuough 'credits to do that as I just signed up for the forum.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sat, 26 Jul 2008 2:25 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:
ksl wrote:Sorry WIMH ....I know you are not middle aged really :lol: Just teasing! But don't you think a divorce lawyer friend maybe, makes you think twice?

Not twice. A million times! And yes, I am middle-aged and single, I guess. Just like my lawyer friend. The odd thing is, while we would welcome a viable relationship, we are perfectly happy on our own and have a built a good life around singlehood. We can't understand why married people pity us, because sometimes we pity them! :D

We can't understand why married people pity us, because sometimes we pity them!
I agree with you, I look back on my 8 years of marriage, and think just how hard it is, to raise a child at 50, Although I wouldn't have it any different now.

I can honestly say, life was much more easier for me when i was single. although because I never had custody of my two other children, the pining of fatherhood is a problem too.

The biggest problem when they are adults, raised by the mother, is convincing them that you still loved them, but legally couldn't help them away from the mother, my two unfortunately have been effected, by the courts decision to give the mother custody.

Even though my ex did request i take the boy at 14 years of age, because she couldn't manage him, the damage was done, by this time, I feel sad that many children suffer the same fate, because of legal and government policies, rather than monitoring parental control, and even with local care, they over step, there authority and remove the children, rather than getting the other parent involved.

I will also say, the older the children get, the more problems arise, and worry comes automatically with girls reaching the age of puberty, although like my mother would say, "you made your own bed, now you sleep in it" :cry: I miss my mum :(

emeraldemerald

How much to an Annulment

Postby emeraldemerald » Tue, 29 Jul 2008 1:16 pm

Hi, could anyone please advise how much roughly is the total cost of an Annulment including +++ ?? Thanks! Would really appreciate...

accountant_sg

Help

Postby accountant_sg » Fri, 29 Aug 2008 1:38 pm

DIVORCE ACCOUNTANT
Hi All
I understand that divorces are most often very difficult and stressful. If you going through or contemplating a divorce, here is where I think I can help.
I am a CPA who works on a freelance basis with client to save time and money by making sure the financial information is accurate and complete before going to a lawyer. This allows your lawyer to focus on the legal aspects of the case to work towards an equitable settlement. I am viewed as the financial analyst in divorce cases, and I can join the team at any stage of the data-gathering process. If you are not engaging a lawyer to save legal fees, I can provide organized financial information and analysis which provide you with a better chance of reaching an equitable settlement.
I can help you
- organize financial information by discussing the financial issues and explaining the nature and sources of financial information needed
- reduce anxiety about the financial issues by informing you and your lawyer of the various financial possible property division scenarios
- Meet jointly with you and your spouse to explain financial issues and to help ensure that everyone is “on the same page”
Last edited by accountant_sg on Fri, 29 Aug 2008 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

accountant_sg

Divorce Accountant

Postby accountant_sg » Fri, 29 Aug 2008 1:48 pm

Deleted

Cozyheart

Re: Divorce advice

Postby Cozyheart » Sun, 21 Sep 2008 8:15 pm

h3il wrote:Hi,

I would need advice on divorce matters. Hope you guys out there can help me.

Scenario:
My marriage had broken down and we are married for less than 3 yrs. We have been living apart and we do not have flat nor kids, nothing at all. Just ROM only.

We are both singaporean and working adults. However, she is only 20 yrs old.

What do I need to do? I know that I have to be married for at least 3 yrs before proceeding. So do I need to prepare a Deed of Seperation 1st?

My main qns is, if I do not prepare a Deed of Seperation, after our 3 yrs of marriage, and based on the fact that we had live apart for 3 yrs, can I file for a divorce? (Provided she agree). Or do I need to wait for another 3 yrs of seperation?

I suppose my case is not that conplicated. Roughly how much would the proceeding cost? Do I need to attend court?

Thanks for all prompt replies!

hello, my case nearly the same as yours . how have you sorted it ? Is your lawyer goods ?

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Mon, 22 Sep 2008 9:13 am

This is an old thread. What's going on ? I'm lost and confuzzed........ :?
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'