Singapore Expats Forum

Divorce advice

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

h3il

Divorce advice

Postby h3il » Tue, 07 Dec 2004 10:18 pm

Hi,

I would need advice on divorce matters. Hope you guys out there can help me.

Scenario:
My marriage had broken down and we are married for less than 3 yrs. We have been living apart and we do not have flat nor kids, nothing at all. Just ROM only.

We are both singaporean and working adults. However, she is only 20 yrs old.

What do I need to do? I know that I have to be married for at least 3 yrs before proceeding. So do I need to prepare a Deed of Seperation 1st?

My main qns is, if I do not prepare a Deed of Seperation, after our 3 yrs of marriage, and based on the fact that we had live apart for 3 yrs, can I file for a divorce? (Provided she agree). Or do I need to wait for another 3 yrs of seperation?

I suppose my case is not that conplicated. Roughly how much would the proceeding cost? Do I need to attend court?

Thanks for all prompt replies!

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Wed, 08 Dec 2004 8:44 am

Try the following threads:-

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/ftopic6050.html

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/ftopic1527-0.html

Any more specific questions also can help lah :wink:

h3il

Postby h3il » Wed, 08 Dec 2004 1:53 pm

Bafana wrote:Try the following threads:-

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/ftopic6050.html

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/ftopic1527-0.html

Any more specific questions also can help lah :wink:

hi, i have read thru those. :)

but i guess my case is quite different from them. no affairs. and just based on the fact of seperation then divorce.

Can advise further?

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Thu, 09 Dec 2004 12:29 pm

I think you can get a divorce before 3 years if you can show that your marraige has suffered a total breakdown and that you have not been living as husband and wife for one year even if you share the same apartment because you live completly seperate lives.

On lodging applicationa, fees and the likes you will need to talk to a lawyer - It is better to get them involved sooner rather then later as they can save you alot of problems and in case your wife decides to get nasty and whack you with the Womans Charter...

BTW lawyers not cheap - I am still paying mine off in Singapore and Australia - I have already paid the Botswana Lawyer off - Damn womans Charter. I applaud it as it protects women from arsehole husbadns but when a bad wife gets ahold of it she make your life a misery.

My divorce hearing is next week so wish me luck...

Dizzy

Divorce advice

Postby Dizzy » Sun, 19 Dec 2004 11:43 pm

You cannot get a divorce within the 1st 3 years of marriage unless you can show hardship -ie husband whacks the wife to near death. I was told of this by my lawyer as I was in a similar situation. he also asked me if I my marriage was solemnised in Singapore - if not was the marriage entered into validly? If not you can annul the marriage. You can also annul the marrige if the marriage was not consumated.

Seperation deeds are basically agreements entered into by parties pending a divorce in 3 years time. No hard and fats rule there - my ex husbadn refused to sign it and I am living through the 3 years seperation now.

My lawyers are at sky@ypmp.conm.sg - email them for free advice.

Postby Guest » Mon, 20 Dec 2004 10:26 am

Do I need any kind for paper work before the 3 years seperation?

HappyAlways

Re: Divorce advice

Postby HappyAlways » Tue, 26 Jul 2005 3:24 pm

HI

Is good if is before 3yrs. you can take advise from your lawyer, if i am not wrong, you can go for annulment status before 3yrs marriage. so act fast if you really wan to get back yr freedom.

h3il wrote:Hi,

I would need advice on divorce matters. Hope you guys out there can help me.

Scenario:
My marriage had broken down and we are married for less than 3 yrs. We have been living apart and we do not have flat nor kids, nothing at all. Just ROM only.

We are both singaporean and working adults. However, she is only 20 yrs old.

What do I need to do? I know that I have to be married for at least 3 yrs before proceeding. So do I need to prepare a Deed of Seperation 1st?

My main qns is, if I do not prepare a Deed of Seperation, after our 3 yrs of marriage, and based on the fact that we had live apart for 3 yrs, can I file for a divorce? (Provided she agree). Or do I need to wait for another 3 yrs of seperation?

I suppose my case is not that conplicated. Roughly how much would the proceeding cost? Do I need to attend court?

Thanks for all prompt replies!

elizabeth
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Divorce advice

Postby elizabeth » Tue, 26 Jul 2005 3:29 pm

[quote="HappyAlways"]HI

Is good if is before 3yrs. you can take advise from your lawyer, if i am not wrong, you can go for annulment status before 3yrs marriage. so act fast if you really wan to get back yr freedom.

Yes like Happy always mentione you got to act fast... The fee is ard $2500.00.. You can check at china point.. almot the whole builing are law frim..

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:37 pm

a good friend of mine is a lawyer who handles a lot of divorce cases. send me a pm and i'll put you in touch with her if you want. take care.

Postby Guest » Wed, 27 Jul 2005 1:02 am

3000$ for divorce ... i did twice , good luck

HappyAlways

Re: Divorce Advice

Postby HappyAlways » Wed, 27 Jul 2005 8:13 am

Hi

If you are going for annulment status before 3yrs, think the lawyer fee will be abit higher but I find it quite worth as you still take back your Single status. If you feel you want maintenance fee from the guy, you can always request and indicate in black and white by lawyer. You have the rights to ask so. I cant guarantee you can ask for more maintenance fee as it's all base on both income. But one thing to be sure is you will definitely get abit, so better than nothing.

Good Luck :)

Regards
HappyAlways

Xeena

how to get out quickly

Postby Xeena » Sun, 11 Sep 2005 3:22 pm

I am trying to get a divorce as soon as possible but my bull-tempered husband is bound to make life difficult for me by not releasing me. understand that "unreasonable behaviour" is a good ground for getting a divorce within less than 3 years but can anyone tell me what consitutes "unreasonable behaviour"?
[u]Please read my scenario and see if u can help me: [/u] I am married for less than a year but my husband has been picking on me non-stop. Normally the next day things will just go back to normal like a normal lovers tiff .
Last Friday he complained about me to my whole family and when my family didn't take his side, he went into a heated arguement with my mom, sister and brother and ultimately slammed my sisters car door after throwing a paper weight at me.
Last week he changed the lock of our home to prevent me from entering our matrimonial home so I am living apart with him since. It looks like it is going to carry on like this but I dont want to wait until 3 years to leave him. I am still young and eligible and I want to get my freedom soon and meet new people. I want to second shot at life.
Do you think the court will consider this an "Unreasonable behaviour"? :?
Anyone out there can help me?

hippy culture

Postby hippy culture » Sun, 11 Sep 2005 5:17 pm

there is always two sides to a story. go check with an expert. it may save the both of you and your grey cells over this....:).too much negative vibe generated in your life is not healthy for you.learn to go smell roses and save your own relationships better and try not repeat in the next life.ohhmmm.

Xeena

Postby Xeena » Sun, 11 Sep 2005 8:48 pm

erm... thanks but you've been a greaaaaaat help... maybe i should use the word spouse instead of husband to get more objectivity..but seriously i get your drift : there are always 2 sides to a story,meaning this is not enough grounds ..... :( and it looks like i've to continue staying at a motel...

confuselose

How to settle

Postby confuselose » Thu, 24 Jul 2008 2:31 pm

Need help here..
Already received the divorce paper and now is to settle the flat.
Got to stay selling the HDB flat.

Question:-

1. The ex-wife seems to be relentuct to sell and keep delaying the selling process (getting evaluation and getting a buyer). Any way to penalties or stop her from delaying ?

2. Currently, she is still staying at the house. Can I stop paying for the electrical bills?

Please help or advise.