Singapore Expats

What are my chances of getting in?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
mrsands

What are my chances of getting in?

Post by mrsands » Sat, 19 May 2012 7:11 pm

Hi,

I'm a recent graduate of Bachelor of Information Technology from an Australian university. My only experience in IT besides those from the degree is making some simple free lance HTML websites. Ideally I would like to obtain a job as a programmer/software developer as those are where my strongest skills are.

I'm considering moving to Singapore for a change of scenery, maybe for 5 or so years. How easy would it be for me to find a job with what I have? I know singapore pays less than Australia I'm fine with that, so long as its enough to pay for the essentials.

Also should I look for a jobs while I'm in Australia or should I use the 90-day visa-free entry that I have as an Australian citizen?

My finances would allow for staying in Singapore for a while in order to look for a job but I would really only want to do that if there is a realistic chance for me of finding employment.

What do you think I should do? Any tips from people who have been in my position before?

Thanks!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 19 May 2012 9:18 pm

The butt honest truth? You don't have a hope in hell without at least two years of relevant experience to go along with the degree. There are plently of local graduates with the same qualifications and are willing to work a darn sight cheaper and as long as there are qualified locals, even if the company would like to hire you, MOM will not give you an Employment Pass.

I'm afraid it just not going to happen, without dog's help.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Sat, 19 May 2012 10:35 pm

Would the OP's chances increase if he somehow managed to secure an offer that would put him up for the P1 category salary-wise?

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Asian_Geekette » Sat, 19 May 2012 10:50 pm

aster wrote:Would the OP's chances increase if he somehow managed to secure an offer that would put him up for the P1 category salary-wise?
Unless he has Android or iOS programming experience, I doubt that. Even if it's just for school projects, OP's chances would be better if he could show a good porfolio showing prowess in such an in-demand programming niche.

But then again, perhaps he'd just like to try his luck. Who knows? Perhaps he'll get his break here. :)
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

mrsands

Post by mrsands » Sat, 19 May 2012 11:31 pm

I have android experience, and also WP7 (metro and xna). While no published apps, I have somethings that I can show.

From what I can see, I should be able to get Q1 EP (or even S pass?), I completed my degrees at Monash University (I'm assuming that counts as a good institution?) so I should just need to be able to find a position that would pay $3000, which I guess is the hard bit, is this correct?

I also noticed http://www.mom.gov.sg/skills-training-a ... nformation

Software Engineer and Games Programmer is listed...my major was Multimedia Games Development, although I'm not necessarily looking for Games Programmer job (and Bach of IT is not exactly Computer Science).

I wont be too heartbroken if I don't get in, just thought it would be nice to live in a different country for a few years while I dont have a family to worry about and no mortgage to pay yet.
Last edited by mrsands on Sun, 20 May 2012 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 19 May 2012 11:49 pm

If it were 18 months ago. I'd say he defo would havehad a chance. But I'd not bet my last copper at the moment.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Babi Ngepet

Post by Babi Ngepet » Sun, 20 May 2012 12:15 am

A 2 year minimum experience to have some hope to land an IT job sounds reasonable. I just can't see that any firm in any country will be taking on foreign fresh graduates with all the hassle to process the work permit when they can hire a cheaper local graduate.

I have no experience in Singapore mrsands but as an IT guy I'd recommend you to pick a speciality and build on that. Try to find a job in Australia where you can learn a specific valuable skill for 2-3 years. Then go to Singapore :)

As for getting an IT job in Singapore, what about someone (me :) ) that has an IT degree and 10 years of programming experience (c++, java, SAP/ABAP)?

How many years of experience before we go from "a slight hope in hell" to "You'll be hired within 3 months"? :)

mrsands

Post by mrsands » Sun, 20 May 2012 12:30 am

Good points, I guess the answer to my question is that going there for 90 days to look for work i not worth but, but its worth it to keep applying while I'm in Australia for the off-chance that someone would take me :)

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 20 May 2012 12:51 am

Go for the 90 days but don't count on anything. Maybe look at it as a learning experience. Even experienced people are finding it difficult with low-balled salaries together with the governments seeming move to get rid of middle-class and lower type foreigners. The recent wave of EP renewal rejections are making people antsy.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."