Ice hockey in Singapore

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
Post Reply
jayhahn
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri, 18 May 2012 10:08 am

Ice hockey in Singapore

Post by jayhahn » Fri, 18 May 2012 10:12 am

Hello, will be re-locating to Singapore sometime in summer this year and wanted to know where in Singapore I can play ice hockey.
Did some quick internet search and found JCube and Kallang Ice World, but someone in a previous post mentioned that Kallang does not allow ice hockey skaters, and wanted to confirm.
Some quick feedback would be appreciated as I am looking for an apartment and proximity to an ice hockey rink will be a strong criteria.
Thank you!

Nailah
Regular
Regular
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu, 29 May 2008 3:36 pm
Location: Raffles Place

Re: Ice hockey in Singapore

Post by Nailah » Fri, 18 May 2012 10:29 am

jayhahn wrote:Hello, will be re-locating to Singapore sometime in summer this year and wanted to know where in Singapore I can play ice hockey.
Did some quick internet search and found JCube and Kallang Ice World, but someone in a previous post mentioned that Kallang does not allow ice hockey skaters, and wanted to confirm.
Some quick feedback would be appreciated as I am looking for an apartment and proximity to an ice hockey rink will be a strong criteria.
Thank you!
@bout JCube: All I recall is an ever-crowded rink full of kids skating round and round in circles... or oval... :-s

Not sure about Kallang.

User avatar
poodlek
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 878
Joined: Mon, 10 May 2010 3:48 pm
Location: Taipa, Macau
Contact:

Post by poodlek » Fri, 18 May 2012 1:48 pm

There is a league that plays at JCube. http://www.singicehockey.org I believe is the website. Mr K plays with them. They have games once a week on either Sunday or Monday.

rparis
Member
Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 12:30 am

More Info

Post by rparis » Thu, 05 Jul 2012 12:53 am

Did you ever get more information on the JCube league?

I would love to play. Just want to know how much, when it runs, and how to join.... Also where I can pick up gear from because I dont think its worth shipping my stuff from the US....

User avatar
poodlek
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 878
Joined: Mon, 10 May 2010 3:48 pm
Location: Taipa, Macau
Contact:

Re: More Info

Post by poodlek » Thu, 05 Jul 2012 2:19 am

rparis wrote:Did you ever get more information on the JCube league?

I would love to play. Just want to know how much, when it runs, and how to join.... Also where I can pick up gear from because I dont think its worth shipping my stuff from the US....
Did you look at the link I posted??

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39641
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 05 Jul 2012 6:49 am

Heaven forbid! That would entail doing something very simple like use the search engine here. Why do that when they can just ask and let somebody else use the search engine! :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

rparis
Member
Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 12:30 am

Info

Post by rparis » Thu, 05 Jul 2012 8:27 am

Yep, I have been to the SIHA website and other than the $50 registration fee, they don't indicate anything about league fees, number of seasons, or a hockey shop. I wanted to get information from someone who is signed up in the league. I will try getting in touch with the league and find out more info. I will post it up here once I get it.

And yes, I used the search function. That is how I found this thread....

User avatar
poodlek
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 878
Joined: Mon, 10 May 2010 3:48 pm
Location: Taipa, Macau
Contact:

Post by poodlek » Thu, 05 Jul 2012 11:20 am

My husband paid about $300 for this last session, about 18 games. They play different times during the week, one game per week. There's a hockey shop at JCube called SkateSports (.com.sg) and the owner Hanson is almost always there and ready to help with questions you have about gear. There's also a Facebook page for the hockey league you might want to look up.

Do you really want to buy all new stuff here? I doubt once you use it you'll get the value back from selling it to make it worth it not shipping the stuff you already have. But you can ask Hanson that...

rparis
Member
Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 12:30 am

Post by rparis » Thu, 05 Jul 2012 12:45 pm

Thanks for that reply! That was very helpful.

It looks like the Summer season is closed for registration but the new season will start back up in August. That will give me some time to get my gear in order. They do not have a set date on when they are going to start or how much it will cost, but they will post the information in about 2 weeks. I just registered for SIHA ($50 annual fee) and will head to the pro shop to pick up some skates this weekend.

I dont think I want to ship my gear from home. Its all in a pretty bad state (and I am pretty sure they will need to put it in some sort of sealed container based on the smells that come from my hockey bag!). I figure I will just ship them home once I move back with the rest of my stuff, but we will see.

Thanks again for the info. I will post more info if I receive it.

User avatar
poodlek
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 878
Joined: Mon, 10 May 2010 3:48 pm
Location: Taipa, Macau
Contact:

Post by poodlek » Thu, 05 Jul 2012 1:09 pm

rparis wrote:Thanks for that reply! That was very helpful.

It looks like the Summer season is closed for registration but the new season will start back up in August. That will give me some time to get my gear in order. They do not have a set date on when they are going to start or how much it will cost, but they will post the information in about 2 weeks. I just registered for SIHA ($50 annual fee) and will head to the pro shop to pick up some skates this weekend.

I dont think I want to ship my gear from home. Its all in a pretty bad state (and I am pretty sure they will need to put it in some sort of sealed container based on the smells that come from my hockey bag!). I figure I will just ship them home once I move back with the rest of my stuff, but we will see.

Thanks again for the info. I will post more info if I receive it.
I don't know for certain, but I think that perhaps if you're a SIHA member you can participate in the practices they hold at JCube on Friday nights at 11:45pm. $40 per session...about 2 hours ice time I think. I know I'm never awake when Mr. K comes home, so not sure how long he's gone :P

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Entertainment, Leisure & Sports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests