Singapore Expats Forum

I'm forming a Book Club

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
jk

I'm forming a Book Club

Postby jk » Tue, 07 Dec 2004 3:31 pm

Hi, I'm forming a book club... to meet once a month or so, reading books (take advantage of Kinokuniya!) and discussing them, having coffee!. Anyone interested in joining pls email me on jke@iinet.com.au

Global Citizen

Re: I'm forming a Book Club

Postby Global Citizen » Wed, 08 Dec 2004 10:00 am

jk wrote:Hi, I'm forming a book club... to meet once a month or so, reading books (take advantage of Kinokuniya!) and discussing them, having coffee!. Anyone interested in joining pls email me on jke@iinet.com.au

What a terrific idea. BUT, for those of us who can't be there in person, couldn't we have an online discussion of sorts here?

Guest TP

Postby Guest TP » Wed, 08 Dec 2004 11:09 am

Though I'm not much a reader , but would be interested to know what you guys are reading and make some recommendation on line here.

Missy

Postby Missy » Wed, 08 Dec 2004 3:10 pm

what type of books do you guys read?
self improvements? novels?

i myself I enjoy reading novels. author like Nora Roberts & others...
Anyone have this same interest as mine?

Mr OK

details

Postby Mr OK » Thu, 09 Dec 2004 10:47 pm

yes interested
let us know more details

jk

book club

Postby jk » Thu, 16 Dec 2004 2:03 pm

to clarify,the main reason I'm forming this book club is to have interesting and complex intellectual discussion on books of all genres. Fiction, non-fiction - popular, classic..culturally focused. This is best done in the real world.. not so easy online (although there are plenty of online bookclubs). Books I've read recently include 'Alexander' (essays from ancient manuscripts), The Kite Runner, The Opposite of Fate, An Equal Music, Jihad vs McWorld, The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency, A Short History of Nearly Everything. From a personal point of view, it helps that the members are like-minded and get on well as people. There are specific formulae which make book clubs successful and fulfilling....I hope to implement these....if you are interested - email me on jke@iinet.com.au - let me know a bit about you (ie:m/f, age, interests, books you've read etc.)

serendipity
Regular
Regular

Postby serendipity » Thu, 18 May 2006 12:44 am

This would be a good idea.
Was trying to do that with a few friends but the book ended up being tossed away, either cause of being too busy and couldn't finish or didn't interest the people to finish :(
So was wondering if less thick books can be used as a start.
I just finished reading and re-reading, The Present and Who Moved My Cheese. Both are by the same author.
Since they are not that thick and I suppose anybody can just speak or discuss about them from their own personal experience or opinion, maybe we can talk about these books over coffee or tea or whatever you fancy?
I certainly have an experience to share and had shared with a friend here who seems to be interested in reading the book after listening to what I derived from the books.

Jun
Editor
Editor

Postby Jun » Thu, 18 May 2006 8:32 am

serendipity wrote:This would be a good idea.
Was trying to do that with a few friends but the book ended up being tossed away, either cause of being too busy and couldn't finish or didn't interest the people to finish :(
So was wondering if less thick books can be used as a start.
I just finished reading and re-reading, The Present and Who Moved My Cheese. Both are by the same author.
Since they are not that thick and I suppose anybody can just speak or discuss about them from their own personal experience or opinion, maybe we can talk about these books over coffee or tea or whatever you fancy?
I certainly have an experience to share and had shared with a friend here who seems to be interested in reading the book after listening to what I derived from the books.

seren, look at the date of this thread....2004 :o :shock:
Happiness is a daily decision.

Bonbon
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Bonbon » Thu, 18 May 2006 12:06 pm

Jun wrote:seren, look at the date of this thread....2004 :o :shock:

HAHAHAHAHAHA good one :roll: i dont mind to be in if it IS really on.......just dont want to wait until year 2008 when someone posts the reply :-D :lol:

vjsimon
Chatter
Chatter

Postby vjsimon » Wed, 13 Sep 2006 1:55 pm

Count me in for the book club if it still exists. :)