Singapore Expats Forum

How to convert your motorcycle license into a Singapore one

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.

Sponsored by:
Image
AVIS Car Rental
stuckmojo
Regular
Regular
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon, 18 Mar 2013

Postby stuckmojo » Thu, 05 Jun 2014 6:52 pm

quick update: after passing my test I went to convert my UK licence and the auntie at the counter did give me the full (no more than 400cc) story

But since I rode there on my bike (1690cc) I produced all documentation (insurance, ownership, et cetera) and she converted it to the unlimited class.

Hopefully the new licence should be on my desk when I'm back to Sing o Sunday.

Rustybullets
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue, 19 Aug 2014
Location: River Valley

Latest on Converting Class 2 - not possible

Postby Rustybullets » Tue, 19 Aug 2014 11:28 am

I would like to add to this topic for others to share.

I have held a full UK class A unrestricted motorcycle license since 1995.

I purchased a NSR250 MC28 last October in Singapore and insured it etc.

I have recently passed my BTT and when I requested conversion to the class 2 it was denied. I was informed at the counter that I should bring proof of my testing in the UK. I carefully explained that the Class A category on my license was proof of testing enough. This didn't satisfy them.

I returned a week or so later with proof of ownership and insurance documents for the bike I own now - still not enough.

I then wrote an appeal to the Singapore Police Force through their online portal with a full explanation and copy of my license and received a similar response today requesting proof of training - unbelievable.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9164
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Tue, 19 Aug 2014 12:31 pm

Have you asked why your DL is not a sufficient proof?

NSR250 is the class 2a so I don't think it helps a lot to get the unrestricted DL.

Rustybullets
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue, 19 Aug 2014
Location: River Valley

Appeal response from Singapore Police Force re Class 2

Postby Rustybullets » Tue, 19 Aug 2014 2:16 pm

Hello,

I received this message from the Singapore Police Dept this morning, I responded that it did not address the reason for my appeal being that to hold a full UK license would require adequate testing. I await a further reply.

I did ask that I would be happy with a class 2A license but was only offered 2B.

Appeal reply from SPF:

Dear Sir

We refer to your email of 6 Aug 14.
Conversion for a higher capacity or open category motorcycle licence is normally not granted unless there are documentary proof of trainings and testing from the foreign Licensing Authority indicating that you have gone through proper trainings and testing regime and also ownership of bigger motorcycle and insurance policy and have had at least one year riding experience on the road. The letter from the foreign Licensing Authority has to indicate on the capacity of the motorcycle you were tested on. Traffic Police Department acknowledge official documents issued only by foreign licensing authorities and not from any other organisations/driving schools. Otherwise our basic conversion is only for Class 2B driving licence.

With regards

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9164
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: Appeal response from Singapore Police Force re Class 2

Postby x9200 » Tue, 19 Aug 2014 7:02 pm

Rustybullets wrote:Dear Sir

We refer to your email of 6 Aug 14.
Conversion for a higher capacity or open category motorcycle licence is normally not granted unless there are documentary proof of trainings and testing from the foreign Licensing Authority indicating that you have gone through proper trainings and testing regime and also ownership of bigger motorcycle and insurance policy and have had at least one year riding experience on the road. The letter from the foreign Licensing Authority has to indicate on the capacity of the motorcycle you were tested on. Traffic Police Department acknowledge official documents issued only by foreign licensing authorities and not from any other organisations/driving schools. Otherwise our basic conversion is only for Class 2B driving licence.

The highlighted part seems to contain the answer - they want to know the capacity you were trained/tested on. This is not normally included to a DL.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10413
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 19 Aug 2014 8:51 pm

From the SPF website:

Conversion for a higher capacity or open category motorcycle licence is normally not granted unless there are documentary proof of training, testing, ownership of bigger motorcycle and insurance policy indicating that you have gone through proper training and testing regime and have had at least one year riding experience on the road.


http://driving-in-singapore.spf.gov.sg/ ... conversion

A little more than halfway down.

If your DL does not show how long you have had your unlimited class license, then additional docs will be required.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10413
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 19 Aug 2014 8:52 pm

x9200 wrote:NSR250 is the class 2a so I don't think it helps a lot to get the unrestricted DL.


I don't understand this statement. An unlimited allows one to ride all classes of motorbikes.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9164
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Tue, 19 Aug 2014 9:13 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
x9200 wrote:NSR250 is the class 2a so I don't think it helps a lot to get the unrestricted DL.


I don't understand this statement. An unlimited allows one to ride all classes of motorbikes.

The other way around. He wants to prove that he has ridden the unrestricted (to get the unrestricted class) so he can not do it with the lower class of the bikes because it only proves his experience up to the ridden class. Similarly, he can not prove the same riding 2b class. If he claims the 2 class skills he can only claim them riding 2 class bikes.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10413
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 19 Aug 2014 9:55 pm

x9200 wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
x9200 wrote:NSR250 is the class 2a so I don't think it helps a lot to get the unrestricted DL.


I don't understand this statement. An unlimited allows one to ride all classes of motorbikes.

The other way around. He wants to prove that he has ridden the unrestricted (to get the unrestricted class) so he can not do it with the lower class of the bikes because it only proves his experience up to the ridden class. Similarly, he can not prove the same riding 2b class. If he claims the 2 class skills he can only claim them riding 2 class bikes.


When you get an unlimited class 2, you also get a 2a and 2b... you can ride any bike with a class 2. All the classes are placed on your license. See mine, below.

The issue is not the bike he just bought, the issue is what he was riding in the UK. If he has proof of any bike owned greater than 400 cc he can obtain the unlimited license. Otherwise, he will be limited to a class 2a based on the bike he bought. And if he goes that route, he ought to ride it for almost a complete year before applying for conversion.

I'd ask the OP which driving center he went to. I'd try a different driving center.



Image

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9164
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 7:08 am

Yes, you are completely right as of the DL but we are talking about 2 different things.

If owning is to prove he can ride higher class bikes and maintain the skills over the period preceding the conversion then riding 2A and requesting conversion to 2 simply makes no sense. Riding class 2 requires extended skills comparing to 2A so riding class 2A bike only shows he can ride the bikes up to the level of class 2A.

Or I miss the point of owning a higher class bike while in Singapore?

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 8:10 am

SE, you do realize that covering "most" of the barcode vertically is about as useful as not covering it at all, right? Except for the small section under 'cenc', someone could still turn that into digits. And coincidentally, you didn't fully cover the real digits for that section and one could make a few guesses as to what they are.

Not that it matters terribly much, but just passing along the tip.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9164
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 9:59 am

I think he just wanted to do it idiot proof in a reverse sense so preventing people of decoding it directly with mobile phones and such.
SE does not really hide his identity.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10413
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 11:24 am

x9200 wrote:I think he just wanted to do it idiot proof in a reverse sense so preventing people of decoding it directly with mobile phones and such.
SE does not really hide his identity.


+1 - If you really wanted to find out who I am and where I live, trying to fix that barcode would be one of the more complicated options.

ZZM... at the risk of giving away my age, I was an implementer of the very first bar code labels... done at a time when mainframe computers... shall we say, "1970'ish" were still being used to process A/R and financial statements for various companies. Can you say NCR?

Ray NZ
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun, 21 Sep 2014

Postby Ray NZ » Thu, 16 Oct 2014 7:51 pm

I didn't convert; mine was expired anyway.

taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3148
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Re: Appeal response from Singapore Police Force re Class 2

Postby taxico » Fri, 17 Oct 2014 11:33 pm

Rustybullets wrote:I have held a full UK class A unrestricted motorcycle license since 1995.

I purchased a NSR250 MC28 last October in Singapore and insured it etc.

I have recently passed my BTT and when I requested conversion to the class 2 it was denied. I was informed at the counter that I should bring proof of my testing in the UK. I carefully explained that the Class A category on my license was proof of testing enough. This didn't satisfy them.

I returned a week or so later with proof of ownership and insurance documents for the bike I own now - still not enough.

I then wrote an appeal to the Singapore Police Force through their online portal with a full explanation and copy of my license and received a similar response today requesting proof of training - unbelievable.


Rustybullets wrote:I received this message from the Singapore Police Dept this morning, I responded that it did not address the reason for my appeal being that to hold a full UK license would require adequate testing. I await a further reply.

I did ask that I would be happy with a class 2A license but was only offered 2B...


as i understand it, unless you have an appropriate japanese (or any other country with such) 400cc endorsement, you will not get a 2A conversion.

i've mentioned in my original post - it's either 2B or 2. you're wasting your breath.

if the (old) UK motorcycle testing was similar to NZ and AU... i assume you passed your motorcycle tests on a (max) 250cc bike - unless granted an exemption, say due to physical constraints, etc.

the new after-2013 "direct access" tests in UK allow >24yo adults to take the tests on high capacity bikes (>599cc i think). perhaps SPF was looking for this? (yes, i know you took your test back in the mid 90s)

failing which, you need to give proof you own bikes of the class 2 range (>400cc) for a period of one year - i believe this includes your time in singapore.

you have not satisfied any of the 2 above-mentioned criteria. the paperwork for "proof" of bike ownership need not come from the licensing agency - i used my insurance papers to prove this to SPF and included my MSF (USA) and LTNZ (NZ) approved certifications for courses i took on my own dime.

unfortunately you chose to pursue this the wrong way - you should have walked away when you did not get class 2 and tried again else where.

i know it's unfair, but look at it this way: it's singapore's system and you're entitled to go through the 2B-2A-2 system like everyone else. getting a 2B or 2 license is not a right. if it's any consolation, if you can find proof of >400cc bike ownership from way back, you might still be able to get what you want.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Cars & Motorcycles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests