Singapore Expats Forum

How to convert your motorcycle license into a Singapore one

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.

Sponsored by:
Image
AVIS Car Rental
User avatar
Yeboah
Member
Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue, 12 Apr 2011

Postby Yeboah » Thu, 23 May 2013 1:23 pm

Thanks guys, not sure i still have any of that info but i'll have to have a dig around

As far as Im aware, I can drive on a uk license for a year before having to do anything anyway, so thats always an option

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9164
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Thu, 23 May 2013 10:11 pm

Yes, you can and driving the unrestricted class will also increase your later chances to get the conversion done the way you would like to have it.

User avatar
Yeboah
Member
Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue, 12 Apr 2011

Postby Yeboah » Mon, 03 Jun 2013 1:11 pm

x9200 wrote:Yes, you can and driving the unrestricted class will also increase your later chances to get the conversion done the way you would like to have it.


Thanks, sounds like a plan! Now to find a trustworthy retailer!

bgd
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1176
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007

Postby bgd » Mon, 03 Jun 2013 2:03 pm

Yeboah wrote:
x9200 wrote:Yes, you can and driving the unrestricted class will also increase your later chances to get the conversion done the way you would like to have it.


Thanks, sounds like a plan! Now to find a trustworthy retailer!


Check that you can get insurance first. If your license doesn't have an endorsement they recognise you might struggle.

User avatar
Yeboah
Member
Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue, 12 Apr 2011

Postby Yeboah » Mon, 03 Jun 2013 2:14 pm

bgd wrote:
Yeboah wrote:
x9200 wrote:Yes, you can and driving the unrestricted class will also increase your later chances to get the conversion done the way you would like to have it.


Thanks, sounds like a plan! Now to find a trustworthy retailer!


Check that you can get insurance first. If your license doesn't have an endorsement they recognise you might struggle.


Cheers. good heads up. Its an A-class Uk license so should be fine but I will definitely check

User avatar
Yeboah
Member
Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue, 12 Apr 2011

Postby Yeboah » Mon, 03 Jun 2013 2:16 pm

heh, I have actually checked my license ( i had two after losing one, then re-finding it) and the latest one actually doesnt mention the restriction at all, so its a straight up A class license, no restriction. Should be fine i reckon

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10413
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 03 Jun 2013 10:13 pm

Yeboah wrote:heh, I have actually checked my license ( i had two after losing one, then re-finding it) and the latest one actually doesnt mention the restriction at all, so its a straight up A class license, no restriction. Should be fine i reckon


Does it have an endorsement for unlimited class motorcycles? If it doesn't you will need to acquire paperwork that proves you have the unlimited endorsement or you will not get a class 2 unlimited in Singapore. In fact, if there is no motorcycle endorsement at all, you won't even get a 2b.

User avatar
Yeboah
Member
Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue, 12 Apr 2011

Postby Yeboah » Tue, 06 Aug 2013 3:46 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
Yeboah wrote:heh, I have actually checked my license ( i had two after losing one, then re-finding it) and the latest one actually doesnt mention the restriction at all, so its a straight up A class license, no restriction. Should be fine i reckon


Does it have an endorsement for unlimited class motorcycles? If it doesn't you will need to acquire paperwork that proves you have the unlimited endorsement or you will not get a class 2 unlimited in Singapore. In fact, if there is no motorcycle endorsement at all, you won't even get a 2b.


i.e. in the 'codes' bit? - there is nothing there. no mention of CC restriction (my old license did have as I was restricted for two years)

this is the back of my license...

Image[/img]

bgd
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1176
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007

Postby bgd » Tue, 06 Aug 2013 4:12 pm

You have a full motorcycle licence :D

Category A
You can drive:

motorbikes with a power output more than 35kW or a power to weight ratio more than 0.2kW/kg
motor tricycles with a power output more than 15kW


From:

https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-categories

User avatar
Yeboah
Member
Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue, 12 Apr 2011

Postby Yeboah » Wed, 07 Aug 2013 8:43 am

bgd wrote:You have a full motorcycle licence :D

Category A
You can drive:

motorbikes with a power output more than 35kW or a power to weight ratio more than 0.2kW/kg
motor tricycles with a power output more than 15kW


From:

https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-categories


aye, that's what I thought, but was worried by strong eagle saying I didnt have an endorsement? I know in the UK I would be fine now but wasnt sure if there was some wacky SG law that needed anything extra?

Anyway thanks guys, guess I just need to find a bike now!! :D

azrin610
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat, 07 Dec 2013
Contact:

Postby azrin610 » Mon, 09 Dec 2013 3:16 am

Yeah, make sure you bring your UK Counterpart license and the HANDBOOK they gave you when you want to convert. Saves the hassle.
For Malaysia License... you better go to KL and tell then you need an extract of driving license because you got an accident in singapore and the Police needs it to settle the report, otherwise, they will strip you of your license
Just a Singaporean who had to run back from Kent.

Sigma18200
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed, 15 Jan 2014

Postby Sigma18200 » Wed, 15 Jan 2014 1:34 pm

Additional info. You can only do your conversion ONCE. So if you obtain a bike license after you have converted your foreign car license in Singapore, you need to be tested and adhere to the singaapore licensing process for bikes.

I found out the hard way.

PNGMK
Director
Director
Posts: 4852
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013

Postby PNGMK » Wed, 15 Jan 2014 2:07 pm

Sigma18200 wrote:Additional info. You can only do your conversion ONCE. So if you obtain a bike license after you have converted your foreign car license in Singapore, you need to be tested and adhere to the singaapore licensing process for bikes.

I found out the hard way.


Good point. Convert all classes at once... I didn't bother converting my HGV class and now I can't - not that I've ever needed it.

Also if you have a Singapore licence and you are picked up and done for DUI and lose it - then you have to resit the whole thing. If you are on a FDL the pain is a little less although you will still have a driving ban I guess (and have to sit for a SDL eventually anyways).

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34263
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 15 Jan 2014 2:31 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Sigma18200 wrote:Additional info. You can only do your conversion ONCE. So if you obtain a bike license after you have converted your foreign car license in Singapore, you need to be tested and adhere to the singaapore licensing process for bikes.

I found out the hard way.


Good point. Convert all classes at once... I didn't bother converting my HGV class and now I can't - not that I've ever needed it.

Also if you have a Singapore licence and you are picked up and done for DUI and lose it - then you have to resit the whole thing. If you are on a FDL the pain is a little less although you will still have a driving ban I guess (and have to sit for a SDL eventually anyways).


I had a similar problem but for a different reason. I worked offshore and lived here on a tourist visa (you could still get a license while on a tourist visa back in the '80's - at a direct validity conversion without any testing if you were from a western country - normally). But when I went to convert my Louisiana Driver's license, my license was a full, anything with wheels, license. I didn't plan on owning a bike here (eventually did though) so I didn't ask for the bike license to be added. However, they wouldn't give me the class 5 license (your HGV? endorsement?) Prime Mover license. Their reason, sadly, was a valid one as they said I'd need a work visa in order to drive one here. (remember I was living here on an SPV). 11 years later when I got PR, they told me that I'd not been driving one for 11 years so I'd have to do the whole thing. Furgeddit! So I settled with a class C & D only and last year at my renewal at 65 I gave up the class D as well (so I didn't have to do the physical and take a day off from work every bloody year to resit the driving test (It's been 14 years since I drove a big truck here).

Ashk
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon, 10 Feb 2014
Location: Singapore

Postby Ashk » Mon, 10 Feb 2014 10:40 am

Good day guys, I am currently riding a class2 bike in singapore with a foreign license. i am nearing the 12 months mark so its time to convert i guess, I even have a letter from my countries land transport saying i am capable of riding a class 2 and about my experiences. The only worrying bit is my age, i am just 20. So will that be a problem ? Please advice

Cheers :D


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Cars & Motorcycles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests