Singapore Expats

How to convert your motorcycle license into a Singapore one

Discuss how you can convert your foreign drivers' licence and other topics relating to drivers' licence.
Amerigo

Re: How to convert your motorcycle license into a Singapore one

Post by Amerigo » Thu, 04 Jul 2019 7:37 pm

Hi all!
I had the same problem two weeks ago, brought to Ubi TP Station ownership record of my ex bike, letter from the driving school stating that I was tested with a 650cc bike and they didn't accept it. I was given 2B only.
They want a record of my practice exam from my home country's authority stating the type of motorcycle (and its cc) I was tested with. I am Italian and after checking with endless and expensive phone calls with the authorities, basically i have been told that this records or documents do not exist in Italy. I am now in touch with a lawyer to try to sort this thing out.

Is anybody here who is Italian and got the Class 2? I can pay well just to know how you did it :)

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 04 Jul 2019 9:07 pm

Amerigo - even the Italian ambassador to Singapore could not get his converted! (I kid you not).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Amerigo

Post by Amerigo » Thu, 04 Jul 2019 9:48 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Thu, 04 Jul 2019 9:07 pm
Amerigo - even the Italian ambassador to Singapore could not get his converted! (I kid you not).
That's very encouraging! ](*,)

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 04 Jul 2019 9:52 pm

Sounds like they just don't want large cc bikes in Singapore.

Amerigo

Post by Amerigo » Thu, 04 Jul 2019 9:58 pm

Oak wrote:
Mon, 01 Jul 2019 1:08 pm

To get the UK motorcycle licence you have have to train and take a test on a motorcycle over 595 cc (and 50hp) so the fact is I have taken this test and got the licence is clear evidence that the test was taken on a bike which should qualify for an unrestricted licence here in Singapore - but still no..

I spoke to the original test centre and the DVLA to ask if they can reissue the original pass certificate but as this was over 10 years ago (I passed the Direct Access motorcycle test and training in 2001) they do not have a copy of this and are not (by law) required to reissue given how long ago it was...

Same here, I got my license in Italy in 2003 and they do not have the test record/copy anymore or able to reproduced it.
They also made joke of me (on the phone) and my lawyer (in person) saying "what other evidence you need more than your driving license itself?"

Amerigo

Post by Amerigo » Sun, 01 Sep 2019 12:36 pm

Update:

I have received the documentary proof of the type of bike (cc, model, manufacturer and number plate) I was tested on for my European Class A exam 16 years ago. I managed also to get from my insurance the claim incident history related to my ex-bike indicating 3 consecutive years with no claim. Ownership certificate for the same bike already on my hand.

I am planning to go to TP this coming Wednesday with all the documents required for the class 2 conversion. Having already the 2B issued, and still waiting for the card as not received yet, lets see how it goes... worst case you will read about an Italian causing mayhem at TP on Thursday's news paper:) I will keep you posted.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 01 Sep 2019 9:50 pm

Most interested to see how this turns out.
Amerigo wrote:
Sun, 01 Sep 2019 12:36 pm
Update:

I have received the documentary proof of the type of bike (cc, model, manufacturer and number plate) I was tested on for my European Class A exam 16 years ago. I managed also to get from my insurance the claim incident history related to my ex-bike indicating 3 consecutive years with no claim. Ownership certificate for the same bike already on my hand.

I am planning to go to TP this coming Wednesday with all the documents required for the class 2 conversion. Having already the 2B issued, and still waiting for the card as not received yet, lets see how it goes... worst case you will read about an Italian causing mayhem at TP on Thursday's news paper:) I will keep you posted.

Amerigo

Post by Amerigo » Wed, 04 Sep 2019 8:12 pm

Update no.2

License converted and finally got the class 2!!!!!

sharing my experience, there is no problem in upgrading the class 2B into the class 2. The officer checked my supporting document paying attention mainly on the one stating the bike engine capacity I have been tested on when I got my license in Italy. Then she asked for the ownership proof of my ex-bike and lastly just had a look at the insurance paper. She printed the sticker with the upgraded class and applied it on my Singapore driving license.

I concluded the day going to the Harley dealership and ordered the bike:)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 04 Sep 2019 11:17 pm

Congrats!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 05 Sep 2019 10:34 am

Amerigo wrote:
Wed, 04 Sep 2019 8:12 pm
Update no.2

License converted and finally got the class 2!!!!!

sharing my experience, there is no problem in upgrading the class 2B into the class 2. The officer checked my supporting document paying attention mainly on the one stating the bike engine capacity I have been tested on when I got my license in Italy. Then she asked for the ownership proof of my ex-bike and lastly just had a look at the insurance paper. She printed the sticker with the upgraded class and applied it on my Singapore driving license.

I concluded the day going to the Harley dealership and ordered the bike:)
That was a great story until the very last sentence. I was expecting a Motoguzzi at worse and maybe a MV Augusta at best but not a H-D!. Ride safe!
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Amerigo

Post by Amerigo » Thu, 05 Sep 2019 11:28 am

[/quote]

That was a great story until the very last sentence. I was expecting a Motoguzzi at worse and maybe a MV Augusta at best but not a H-D!. Ride safe!
[/quote]

Hahahah! MV Augusta considered but depreciation is a killer on that bike

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 05 Sep 2019 12:04 pm

PNGMK... all us rice burner riders know that an HD is the most efficient way of turning petrol into noise without producing any power! That's a joke, son, a joke! I ride with anyone without regard to race, creed, sex, color, orientation, nationality, or brand of motorcycle owned.

Maybe my old Singapore ride is for sale!

pomwi

Post by pomwi » Sun, 15 Sep 2019 12:54 pm

Oak wrote:
Mon, 01 Jul 2019 1:08 pm
To get the UK motorcycle licence you have have to train and take a test on a motorcycle over 595 cc (and 50hp) so the fact is I have taken this test and got the licence is clear evidence that the test was taken on a bike which should qualify for an unrestricted licence here in Singapore - but still no..
I've been in Singapore for six years and am also thinking of converting my foreign "big bike" license to a Singapore Class 2, if possible. I'm in the same situation as a few people here -- I passed about 20 years ago in the UK and subsequently converted that to continue riding for a number of years in New Zealand.

Now here in Singapore I'd like to venture out in to SE Asia on a bike, but can see that it's quite troublesome to convert a foreign license, especially one from 20 years ago, to a Class 2 here.

I'm not in a rush to get the Class 2, so is one option to get a 2B for a year, then a 2A, so I can at least ride something like a KTM Duke, and then progress to the Class 2? i.e. go through the system here?

Or is it worth pushing to see if I can skip any of these steps using my overseas driving licenses, evidence of ownership etc? I won't be able to get any proof of training.

I have already got my Class 3 car license in Singapore.

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Post by The Ref » Mon, 16 Sep 2019 8:51 am

Bad news - if you have your Class 3 here you may struggle to convert. I couldnt convert because I did my MC license in Aust after I converted, but was told you can only convert once. Im not sure if you had the licence before you converted if you appeal then you have a slight chance, but you may have to do the training again here which is very time consuming

pomwi

Post by pomwi » Mon, 16 Sep 2019 10:08 pm

OK. To be honest, it doesn't bother me too much. I don't mind riding a vespa for a year and then a small bike for a year. I might even stick at the 400cc level as they're getting really good these days. It'd be nice if I could skip the 2B training and test, but let's see.