Singapore Expats

How to convert your motorcycle license into a Singapore one

Discuss how you can convert your foreign drivers' licence and other topics relating to drivers' licence.
jrboy86

Re: How to convert your motorcycle license into a Singapore one

Post by jrboy86 » Tue, 31 May 2016 12:07 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

However, I'm driving a foreign registered bike.

The grace period is the maximum subsequent days a foreign vehicle allowed to stay in Singapore.

Basically it means, every 14 days, i'll have to ride my bike out from Singapore and re-enter

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 31 May 2016 12:44 pm

To continue driving in Singapore after 12 months of staying here (from the date of your last entry into Singapore), you must obtain a valid Singapore driving licence. - See more at: https://www.ecitizen.gov.sg/Topics/Page ... VRdQM.dpuf

Found the above, sounds to me like you need to convert.

jrboy86

Post by jrboy86 » Tue, 31 May 2016 12:48 pm

The thing is, I'm exiting and entering Singapore every 14 days.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 31 May 2016 1:30 pm

Me too, but I had to convert. And I'm going to Malaysia - for petrol and food. :-)

If you are resident in Sg and pay tax here then short breaks don't count.

jrboy86

Post by jrboy86 » Tue, 31 May 2016 3:54 pm

Aw dang.

Guess I won't be able to enjoy the best of both countries.

Time to save up for a bike in SG then. :( and thanks mate ;)

diffuser911

Post by diffuser911 » Tue, 21 Jun 2016 4:59 pm

Back from my trip now, thanks to the converted DL and IDP, everything went fine, even with the <200cc mark behind it ;). Rented a BMW F800GS and rode around the Alps for three days, knocking down Grimsel and Susten passes. Now time to take up matters with licensing authority for a higher cc DL!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 21 Jun 2016 11:46 pm

^^^^^^
Interesting news. Congrats. Keep us posted how things go with your upgrade attempts.

lahlah

Post by lahlah » Wed, 13 Jul 2016 9:46 pm

Hi, has anyone experience in converting a German Motorcycle license class A in Singapore. I converted my driving license already in 2013. That time i did argue with the lady at the counter that i should get class 2 since limited German on automatically converts in an open one after 2 years. Resultof that was that I got none for motorcycle since she commented as I found out now that I would not want to convert my license. I never bothered until i recently decided to get a motorcycle.
When I went down to Ubi road I found out that the rules have changed and that you need to prove that you did your training and test on a bike with a certain displacement.When talking to German issuing authority they told me they cant provide something like this since the system for above 125cc is only limtited according to power. Therefore the question whether anyone ever got such a document from the German authorities and how or whether there is anything else I can do beside waiting 1year to upgrade to 2A?

Thank you very much

lahlah

diffuser911

Post by diffuser911 » Fri, 15 Jul 2016 12:28 pm

Looking at the post above, looks like it is better to wait and ride rental motorcycles overseas, and then apply for a 2A after completing a year on class 2 without a bike. CB400/DRZ400SM will have to wait!

lahlah

Post by lahlah » Sat, 13 Aug 2016 9:38 am

Hi, I like to update that I was able to get the license converted. The way I did it was getting my driving school to issue me a letter where the motorcycle and its displacement is stated as well as how many hours of training I had what I did and that the Motorcycle was used during the drivong test which they could pull from their own documentation. Then take this letter go to the issuing authority and get it confirmed with seal and signature. After that get a professional translation done and you are ready to apply. Hope i can help some of you as I know how bad it feels to not to be able to get the conversion done despite riding biles before.

Cheers

LahLah

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 13 Aug 2016 9:57 am

Thanks 2Lah for the update. Good to know, but I see one problem: unless the training and exam procedures in the CoO are standardised and based on some very specific law, I don't see any reason why the issuing authorities may be willing to confirm what the driving school stated.
On the other hand, if the procedures etc. are standardised, then there should be no need to go to the driving school. You should just state the displacement and all the course legal requirements and have this stamped.

Actually I did something like this once for a slightly different purpose - I bought a trailer in a country where trailers don't have separate licence plates and in my CoO the trailers has separate registrations. I just went to the police station, asked for a statement and got it written.

Anyway, this or that way, seems to be a good approach.

GeraldR

Post by GeraldR » Mon, 31 Jul 2017 11:35 pm

Hello all,

I registered here as I found this post and wanted to say thank you for the advice.

I am in a similar situation: have had a full NZ and UK bike licence for over 20 years.
The appeal email address is useful, I have been searching for that.

The TP have identified to me the specific point of evidence not provided: proof of size motorcycle first tested on, but that was over 20 years ago. And in NZ and UK the first motorbike must always be small capacity.
I also showed links to the NZ and UK transport authority websites that show the open class of licence I have required training and also showed proof of registration document and multiple years of insurance for a 990 cc motorbike.

I also have already bought a brand new ( 765 cc bike here and been riding it as thought transfer of licence would be fine.
Any other hints to use in my appeal email would be most welcome.

Thanks.

GeraldR

Post by GeraldR » Wed, 02 Aug 2017 8:54 pm

I am notified of 2 replies but cannot see in the post.

Any issues I should be aware of?

Thanks.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 02 Aug 2017 9:06 pm

No one has responded to this thread or your question, yet.

GeraldR

Post by GeraldR » Wed, 02 Aug 2017 9:13 pm

Thank you for your advice.

I got a mail from the site showing 2 replies and in my logged in notifications but as you say, I cannot see them on the post chain.