Singapore Expats

How to convert your motorcycle license into a Singapore one

Discuss how you can convert your foreign drivers' licence and other topics relating to drivers' licence.
luca9277

Re: How to convert your motorcycle license into a Singapore one

Post by luca9277 » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 3:10 pm

I kinda think that was part of the problem ;)

UrbanNomad

Post by UrbanNomad » Tue, 14 Jul 2015 8:39 pm

Month 3 of my attempt to convert my FDL to Singapore DL. But the journey is just beginning. The first 3 months went in waiting for the BTT date to arrive :) cleared that last week.

Went today morning at 8:45 with a host of documents showing ownership of >400cc bikes over the last 5 years & overall 11 years of riding experience. Tons of photos too of the various tours undertaken.

But to no avail. Lady just refused saying single biggest criteria is test by foreign issuing authority on higher cc m/cycles. Understood my situation & suggested not to issue license but attempt appealing to the department via email, visits.

Kickstarting that process now. Hopefully they see the riding experience & ownership and are amenable to granting class 2. Honestly even if i dont get the class 3 i am fine, but living without a proper bike will be very disappointing :(

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 14 Jul 2015 10:06 pm

UrbanNomad wrote:Month 3 of my attempt to convert my FDL to Singapore DL. But the journey is just beginning. The first 3 months went in waiting for the BTT date to arrive :) cleared that last week.

Went today morning at 8:45 with a host of documents showing ownership of >400cc bikes over the last 5 years & overall 11 years of riding experience. Tons of photos too of the various tours undertaken.

But to no avail. Lady just refused saying single biggest criteria is test by foreign issuing authority on higher cc m/cycles. Understood my situation & suggested not to issue license but attempt appealing to the department via email, visits.

Kickstarting that process now. Hopefully they see the riding experience & ownership and are amenable to granting class 2. Honestly even if i dont get the class 3 i am fine, but living without a proper bike will be very disappointing :(
Thanks for the update UN, but I don't get the underlined part. Don't you have a FDL for the bigger motorbikes?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 14 Jul 2015 10:13 pm

x9200 - When I converted, the criteria also included taking riding courses. In Texas, one can take the riding test on a 125 cc bike and receive an unlimited license.

In Texas I took the MSF advanced rider course and I submitted that as part of my 'evidence' for a large class bike. Didn't really matter, though... I had been riding nearly twice the years that the young lady processing my application had been alive... it was quite automatic.

UN - if you've previously legally ridden large displacement bikes elsewhere, then you do/did have an unlimited class license... all you need is the documentation to prove that up. If you didn't, you'll have a lot of tough sledding I think.

UrbanNomad

How to convert your motorcycle license into a Singapore one

Post by UrbanNomad » Tue, 14 Jul 2015 10:27 pm

To be honest x9200 & SE: i dont think my fellow countrymen are particularly renowned for their road behaviour. So it does make things particularly difficult :) but gotta deal with it & perhaps improve on that impression.

On the FDL for bigger motorbikes: India license is an open class one. They don't particularly test you on bigger bikes & even if i wanted to, therefore, i cant take a test to have the certificate as required here.

I hope the detailed ownership documentation helps. I have even provided photos of my last tour to the worlds 1st 2nd & 3rd highest motorable roads to see if that can explain my touring (& not racing) bug.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 15 Jul 2015 12:02 am

I see your problem now... it's the same one that Indian dentists have when they want to practice in Singapore... credentials are always questioned.

Why not see if you can hook up with some sort of 'advanced, large displacement bike training course'? Maybe somewhere in Malaysia. Or maybe hire a SPF riding instructor to give you a few private lessons and then a certificate.
UrbanNomad wrote:To be honest x9200 & SE: i dont think my fellow countrymen are particularly renowned for their road behaviour. So it does make things particularly difficult :) but gotta deal with it & perhaps improve on that impression.

On the FDL for bigger motorbikes: India license is an open class one. They don't particularly test you on bigger bikes & even if i wanted to, therefore, i cant take a test to have the certificate as required here.

I hope the detailed ownership documentation helps. I have even provided photos of my last tour to the worlds 1st 2nd & 3rd highest motorable roads to see if that can explain my touring (& not racing) bug.

UrbanNomad

Post by UrbanNomad » Wed, 15 Jul 2015 7:29 am

Strong Eagle wrote:I see your problem now... it's the same one that Indian dentists have when they want to practice in Singapore... credentials are always questioned.

Why not see if you can hook up with some sort of 'advanced, large displacement bike training course'? Maybe somewhere in Malaysia. Or maybe hire a SPF riding instructor to give you a few private lessons and then a certificate.
I actually have trained with California Superbike School & Apex racing academy to improve my overall riding skills. But these certificates dont count apparently since it needs to be from the LTA equivalent. So the govt body that issued the license will only will do

But the SPF suggestion is a brilliant one actually. Lemme explore that one! Thanx for that.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 15 Jul 2015 7:53 am

Find an SPF buddy... I bet that would work.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 15 Jul 2015 8:42 am

UrbanNomad wrote:To be honest x9200 & SE: i dont think my fellow countrymen are particularly renowned for their road behaviour. So it does make things particularly difficult :) but gotta deal with it & perhaps improve on that impression.

Oh, I see and I agree with the diagnosis.
Let's hope you can talk to someone with a bit greater decision flexibility than a an officer at the counter in the driving centre.
On the other hand I found them pretty flexible at the counter so it may be the "Indian" thing as SE mentioned or something has changed in the past 10y.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 15 Jul 2015 11:02 am

I actually think you will struggle to get a full DL but I do wish you luck.

I base this on having read the forum and spoken to people who have been through the process recently. I reckon they are doing their best to limit all conversions to 2B, with this recent rule change.

Very few countries require training on large displacement bikes, UK being the one exception I know of, but even with that you would struggle to get the form of proof they require.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 15 Jul 2015 12:14 pm

bgd wrote:Very few countries require training on large displacement bikes, UK being the one exception I know of, but even with that you would struggle to get the form of proof they require.
Are you sure? There are 4 motorbike/mopped classes in EU now (AM, A, A1, A2) and as far as I know the practical tests are done with the corresponding motorcycles. To get the unrestricted class typically 600-750ccm motorbikes are used for the test.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 15 Jul 2015 12:40 pm

x9200 wrote:
bgd wrote:Very few countries require training on large displacement bikes, UK being the one exception I know of, but even with that you would struggle to get the form of proof they require.
Are you sure? There are 4 motorbike/mopped classes in EU now (AM, A, A1, A2) and as far as I know the practical tests are done with the corresponding motorcycles. To get the unrestricted class typically 600-750ccm motorbikes are used for the test.
Nope, not sure. All the tests I had seen were simply time based. If that isn't the case it's good thing. I think the US, or at least some states, don't even have a separate bike test.

The Direct Access course in the UK required training on a 500cc bike or greater. If you passed you got a full licence provided you were over 21. That was my route, never ridden a bike before then.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 15 Jul 2015 10:23 pm

bgd wrote:I think the US, or at least some states, don't even have a separate bike test.
If you take and pass a Motorcycle Safety Foundation basic riding skills course, then you do not have to take the riding skills test in all states but three. Several states require that you take a MSF course as a first time applicant. I am not aware of any states where you can get a MC license without a riding test and you have not passed the MSF rider training.

See: http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/Lib ... .sflb.ashx

Roadrash

Post by Roadrash » Fri, 04 Sep 2015 10:27 am

My relocation to Singapore and expat assignment is just beginning. I'm scheduled to arrive September 21st! I feel some serious pain from the users in this thread. My general impression is that the word "reciprocity" has no meaning when it comes to moto licensure in Singapore. I'll be joining you all in the struggle soon.

I'm currently working with the US Colorado DMV to provide letters articulating my riding tests, and passing results. The list below describes the information my DMV letter will contain. Please reply if you think there is other information I should include. I realize I'll still need the 2B for a year. But it might help down the road. The letter will be signed by a State of Colorado compliance officer with the Dept of Revenue, DMV.

Full Name:
Pasport Number:
Singapore Employment Pass (FIN):
Colorado Drivers License number:
Date of Colorado Drivers License issue:
Date Motorcycle endorsement received:
Class of Motorcycle used during first Field Driving Test: 250cc 20 HP Honda Rebel
Motorcycle Field Driving Test Grade: PASSED
Class of Motorcycle used during second Field Driving Test: 650cc 31HP Suzuki Boulevard S40
Motorcycle Field Driving Test Grade: PASSED

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Fri, 04 Sep 2015 10:46 am

That looks pretty comprehensive. The sticking point now seems to be proof that training was conducted on certain sized bikes. You seem to have that covered. I guess, in addition to this, have some proof to show that you have riding experience on big bikes, eg copy of reg or insurance documents.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.