Singapore Expats

How to convert your motorcycle license into a Singapore one

Discuss how you can convert your foreign drivers' licence and other topics relating to drivers' licence.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: How to convert your motorcycle license into a Singapore one

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 04 Sep 2015 11:11 am

And to think, when I came here I just waltzed into the old Maxwell Road Police Station and showed them my Louisiana Drivers license with ratings to drive anything with wheels, and they just gave me a Singapore License almost equal to the US rating (the didn't give me the Class 5 license, as they put it, because I was only on a standard 30 day SVP so no chance of driving a class five vehicle (Prime Mover) anyway. Today, you cannot even get a local license unless you have residency of some sort (Work Visa, Student visa, or PR/Citizenship). You also cannot get a straight conversion without any sort of testing at all (none required if you were from US, UK, Aus or Canada back in those days.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 04 Sep 2015 12:31 pm

Roadrash wrote:My relocation to Singapore and expat assignment is just beginning. I'm scheduled to arrive September 21st! I feel some serious pain from the users in this thread. My general impression is that the word "reciprocity" has no meaning when it comes to moto licensure in Singapore. I'll be joining you all in the struggle soon.

I'm currently working with the US Colorado DMV to provide letters articulating my riding tests, and passing results. The list below describes the information my DMV letter will contain. Please reply if you think there is other information I should include. I realize I'll still need the 2B for a year. But it might help down the road. The letter will be signed by a State of Colorado compliance officer with the Dept of Revenue, DMV.

Full Name:
Pasport Number:
Singapore Employment Pass (FIN):
Colorado Drivers License number:
Date of Colorado Drivers License issue:
Date Motorcycle endorsement received:
Class of Motorcycle used during first Field Driving Test: 250cc 20 HP Honda Rebel
Motorcycle Field Driving Test Grade: PASSED
Class of Motorcycle used during second Field Driving Test: 650cc 31HP Suzuki Boulevard S40
Motorcycle Field Driving Test Grade: PASSED
How old are you?

UrbanNomad

Post by UrbanNomad » Mon, 07 Sep 2015 5:20 pm

so 2 months after clearing the BTT & running around, i have finally given up. tried to get an SPF trainer as advised, but seems the system immediately flags a direct class 2 conversion & the individual documents are then again verified at HQ etc etc. And they are quite aware of most countries licensing systems by now, so they do know right upfront which countries are a possibility (UK surely is) & which are not (many many in the list here unfortunately)

Had lengthy email conversations with Ms. Leow Ming Choo, who heads the Licensing & DIPS dept & also went & met her twice... pleasant lady, very helpful & calmly explained the process by which the system throws up any exceptions & how they dont make any these days.

In sum, time to struggle over the next 2-2.5 years.. not sure if i will manage to get myself to do that though :(

Roadrash: i think you what is needed.

Copying the relevant portion of the email below for reference, if it helps:

"We may consider to grant you a conversion for a higher class of motorcycle licence other than Class 2B if you are able to show documentary proof of the following:
1. An official letter from the licensing authority on the engine capacity that you have been tested and
2. Evidence of your riding experience of more than one year with higher engine capacity motorcycle which is your insurance and vehicle ownership.

If you are able to show documentary of the above (1&2), we will grant the higher class of licence according to the engine capacity you have been tested"

Good luck :)

Personally, while i completely agree & see the reasons for their licensing methodologies, i believe, depending on how many years you have held the license for, they could atleast let you straight away attempt the test for a Class 2.. that way if like me, you have a held a license for 12 years now, it would be a fair way of balancing their need to have sane, disciplined riders on the road. And these riders would have been tested as per the Singapore norms too.

But again, thats my opinion....

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 07 Sep 2015 5:44 pm

UrbanNomad, thanks for the update with valuable information and I agree with you on the test. Surely they should allow to do it in the cases like yours.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 08 Sep 2015 6:02 pm

It all comes down to a class of certain nationalities abusing the former generosity of the system.....
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 08 Sep 2015 8:06 pm

What is probably true but on the other hand, I don't see these nationalities riding 2/2A motorbikes contributing anything particularly bad to the traffic. The poor riding conduct is very much from the 2B daily swarm.

UrbanNomad

Post by UrbanNomad » Wed, 09 Sep 2015 9:55 am

PNGMK wrote:It all comes down to a class of certain nationalities abusing the former generosity of the system.....
Well not sure what that entirely means in particular for class 2.... I do agree that driving / riding habits in certain countries can definitely do with improvement and as such the Singapore system is quite right in its approach for conversion basis this.

I do wish however they were amenable to separating the wheat from the chaff by allowing one to take the class 2 training & subsequent tests rather than making us wait for 2+ years to get back to riding what we love.
x9200 wrote:What is probably true but on the other hand, I don't see these nationalities riding 2/2A motorbikes contributing anything particularly bad to the traffic. The poor riding conduct is very much from the 2B daily swarm.
Completely agree. I have now been driving here for 5-6 months & when i see a 'small' bike I instinctively become cautious since lane adherence & cognisance of traffic conditions around seem to be a major issue. In fact strongly contemplating a dash cam just as a 'cover my ass' requirement here.

I guess the additional training for higher class & a sense of responsibility of riding a powerful bike make the class 2 riders here much better on roads. (Again a re-iteration of the Singapore system working well here)

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 09 Sep 2015 11:04 am

Add onto that a rumour that the COE system for bikes will be split into classes as well by LTA....
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 09 Sep 2015 11:37 am

PNGMK wrote:Add onto that a rumour that the COE system for bikes will be split into classes as well by LTA....
With the higher classes more expensive? This would make even less sense than cutting the current cumulative quota in half what they did in the last two consecutive years. But I expect the current quota to be cut again by 1/2-1/3 from February what will likely have already some impact on all the small motorbike workshops soon killing half of the industry if the trend continues. Eventually not much will change on the streets except that all the swarm will now be Malaysian owned/ridden.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 10 Sep 2015 12:28 am

Cutting motorbike quotas really makes no sense. Of all the private transportation options available, this is the most affordable and takes up the least amount of road. Dumb, dumb.

girly26

Post by girly26 » Sun, 20 Sep 2015 3:37 pm

Yeah! I used to ride a bike in my hometown Sydney. I am thinking of riding again in Singapore. But the traffic condition is horrible here. And the roads are pretty narrow.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 20 Sep 2015 9:58 pm

girly26 wrote:Yeah! I used to ride a bike in my hometown Sydney. I am thinking of riding again in Singapore. But the traffic condition is horrible here. And the roads are pretty narrow.
I rode a motorcycle for 8 years in Singapore. It's actually a lot safer than many other cities. Just got to watch out for taxi drivers, goods lorries, and assholes in big Mercedes and BMW's. I really like the fact that one can lane split.

girly26

Post by girly26 » Mon, 21 Sep 2015 1:43 am

I agree with u! Biggest culprits are the taxi drivers! :(

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Mon, 21 Sep 2015 11:30 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
girly26 wrote:Yeah! I used to ride a bike in my hometown Sydney. I am thinking of riding again in Singapore. But the traffic condition is horrible here. And the roads are pretty narrow.
I rode a motorcycle for 8 years in Singapore. It's actually a lot safer than many other cities. Just got to watch out for taxi drivers, goods lorries, and assholes in big Mercedes and BMW's. I really like the fact that one can lane split.
Riding a bike in Sg isn't so bad. If you rode in Sydney then you will quickly adapt to Sg drivers. Compared to cars, bikes are still relatively affordable.

And if Sg gets a little small, Malaysia and beyond is just across the water.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Mon, 02 Nov 2015 10:41 am

A friend converted his license on Saturday and was given the class 2, a full motorcycle license. He presented his UK license, insurance doc for a 600cc bike and a form from the DSA showing that he had successfully passed his training.

This is interesting because the form doesn't state the size of bike he trained on, merely says he qualified for Category A, which is a full licence.