Singapore Expats

How to convert your motorcycle license into a Singapore one

Discuss how you can convert your foreign drivers' licence and other topics relating to drivers' licence.
PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: How to convert your motorcycle license into a Singapore one

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 17 Sep 2019 11:39 am

Pomwi - nothing wrong with the Duke 390. I had one for a few years. Very fast and safe ride.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

motorrider

Post by motorrider » Fri, 06 Mar 2020 12:43 pm

hi,
anyone recently managed to convert their full uk motorcycle license to the full singaporean one? The TP insisted they need a letter from the DVLA on what size cc the test was passed on. I have a statement from the DVSA (which keeps these records in UK) but apparently that's not good enough, has to be from DVLA... Called the DVLA multiple times and they say they can't provide this because it's the DVSA's responsibility... Any help/tips appreciated

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Fri, 06 Mar 2020 2:13 pm

viewtopic.php?f=79&t=124955&p=794701&hi ... ss#p794701

If you went the DA route you might get lucky, it could just be who you get on the day. This never used to be a problem but they have tightened things up over the last few years. Good luck.

motorrider

Post by motorrider » Sat, 07 Mar 2020 6:14 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Yeh was via direct access only a few years ago so dvsa have provided the letter along with the ccs of the bike i passed my module 1 and 2 on. Spf have been quite clear tho it needs to be from the licensing authority (dvla).

Will give it another shot with the dvla to see if i can get someone to write a statement. Finding one of their representatives willing to do so has been the challenge, even via their customer service channels and explaining the situation.

thEntreriCode

Post by thEntreriCode » Mon, 23 Mar 2020 6:05 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm an Indian who will be relocating to Singapore most likely before the end of the year depending on the Covid situation. I used to ride a KTM 390 Duke which is now gone and am looking for my next bike. Was planning on buying a Kawasaki Z900 and bringing it with me to Singapore. I know I won't have an issue with riding the first year on my Indian Licence, but, if I already own a >400 cc bike for 1.5 years and have a history of riding in Singapore, will I be able to get a full Class 2 licence?

The other option is to get a KTM 390 ADV and bring that. If the full 2 won't be possible, will a 2A(200-400cc) be okay? I'm really not interested in going the entire 150-250-400-big bike route again over a period of two years (Not that I can't have fun on a Duke 200 or a Ninja ZX 25R. 2B would be a right pain though. I'd like the option of owning a bigger bike) . I also don't wish to spend big money on a motorcycle, deal with the hassle of importing it, only to have to sell it in a year and go back to something like an Aprilia 150. I'm 36 and have had a licence since I was 18, so no ways can I show any proof on what cc bike I took my test in India. I'd be happy to take the test on a powerful bike in Singapore if the'll allow it.

Thanks!

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 24 Mar 2020 2:27 pm

That used to be a reasonable approach, showing experience on big bikes. I don't know whether it still stands these days. Suggest you get in touch with the LTA and see what they advise.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 24 Mar 2020 10:01 pm

thEntreriCode wrote:
Mon, 23 Mar 2020 6:05 pm
Hi Guys,

I'm an Indian who will be relocating to Singapore most likely before the end of the year depending on the Covid situation. I used to ride a KTM 390 Duke which is now gone and am looking for my next bike. Was planning on buying a Kawasaki Z900 and bringing it with me to Singapore. I know I won't have an issue with riding the first year on my Indian Licence, but, if I already own a >400 cc bike for 1.5 years and have a history of riding in Singapore, will I be able to get a full Class 2 licence?

The other option is to get a KTM 390 ADV and bring that. If the full 2 won't be possible, will a 2A(200-400cc) be okay? I'm really not interested in going the entire 150-250-400-big bike route again over a period of two years (Not that I can't have fun on a Duke 200 or a Ninja ZX 25R. 2B would be a right pain though. I'd like the option of owning a bigger bike) . I also don't wish to spend big money on a motorcycle, deal with the hassle of importing it, only to have to sell it in a year and go back to something like an Aprilia 150. I'm 36 and have had a licence since I was 18, so no ways can I show any proof on what cc bike I took my test in India. I'd be happy to take the test on a powerful bike in Singapore if the'll allow it.

Thanks!
It's very hard to import a used motorbike. Virtually impossible.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 25 Mar 2020 1:53 pm

Importing a used bike? Has to be less than 3 years old for starters.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

princezud

Post by princezud » Sat, 16 May 2020 12:00 pm

thEntreriCode wrote:
Mon, 23 Mar 2020 6:05 pm
Hi Guys,

Thanks!
Hey Bro,

I just arrived in March2020 and bought a class 2 motorbike here that I am using with my Indian DL + IDP. I plan to give the BTT and try to convert my DL to class2 using an appeal when I finish 12 months next year. But I consider my chances very slim, as I only have proof of ownership of a class2 motorcycle in India and in Singapore since 4 years, but in India we do not have any class 2 equivalent license or test for which I can provide proof.

Anyways my plan is to try the appeal in a couple of stations showing my proof of ownership and if denied (which is mostly how it will go), I will sell my current MV and buy a class2B and try to rise up to class2 again in 2 years. This will be heart crushing as I love my new MV Agusta Rivale 800 here which is one of a kind. Either ways I cannot stay without a motorcycle so will downgrade for a couple of years before I can get back to a class2 if everything fails.

Hope this helps

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Sat, 16 May 2020 4:10 pm

princezud wrote:
Sat, 16 May 2020 12:00 pm
Either ways I cannot stay without a motorcycle so will downgrade for a couple of years before I can get back to a class2 if everything fails.
This I completely understand. Best of luck.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 17 May 2020 5:04 pm

for what it's worth the Grom 125 I ride now is fun and hilarious and excellent around town. It's not about size sometimes. I seriously thinking of spending >$10,000 on a new Monkey 125 after the CB.

clavie

Post by clavie » Tue, 24 Nov 2020 11:26 am

Since the SPF page http://driving-in-singapore.spf.gov.sg/ ... ation.html has been removed, I cannot find a corresponding page in their website.

Does anyone know where they have published the (latest) official requirements for the conversion?

clavie

Post by clavie » Tue, 24 Nov 2020 11:29 am

A question for those who have tried their luck at the Ubi TP,
do the officers make a distinction between foreigners holding PRs and work passes?

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 24 Nov 2020 12:53 pm

clavie wrote:
Tue, 24 Nov 2020 11:29 am
A question for those who have tried their luck at the Ubi TP,
do the officers make a distinction between foreigners holding PRs and work passes?
Yes. there is a time limit under PR to do a conversion. this does not apply to WP I believe.

Edisonm

Post by Edisonm » Mon, 25 Jan 2021 9:24 am

This topic helped me a lot and wanna share my experience here. Just managed to covert a UK full license to a 2 license here. Have provided all my insurance docs and some training certs with BMW off road&Califonia superbike school. Prepared some pics too but the lady didnt even ask for it. Quite a smooth experience so think maybe i got lucky.. Finger crossed for everyone else