Singapore Expats

Commission On Rental Agreement

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
Lauder2012

Commission On Rental Agreement

Post by Lauder2012 » Mon, 14 May 2012 7:16 pm

Dear All, I have just moved to Singapore last week and been apartment hunting, in particular around D08. Being new to Singapore, my employer put me in touch with a real estate, here is the thing, the lady did mention on the first day that 1 month's rental fee is applicable for her commission if I find somewhere, I did not pass much attention and assumed it was the norm. So he is the issue, I have since found out that no commission is paid if the monthly rent is over $3k, hence my problem now, I have found something and want to rent the property, I spoke to her today and told her that after doing my homework I feel the the commission is high, I understand that you need to get paid but can we discuss, she replied, company sets this and she has no power to discuss. Hence, now its a lot of money to pay and I am having doubts, I do not want to pay it, she will not move, so is it alright to approach another company to act on my behalf who confirmed today there will be no commission required?

Search By

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 14 May 2012 10:29 pm

Unfortunately she is right and this is not her company this is the law. Of course as per actual amount it is negotiable but you agreed with the figure at the beginning of your acquaintance so you should not be surprised. Some agents agree to follow the 3k rule but if they are not willing there is no force to make them to do this. In other words your options are to pay or find a new agent (a willing one) or do it without an agent.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 14 May 2012 10:29 pm

Only if you want to end up in court. :-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 14 May 2012 10:33 pm

I guess there is no written agreement so she may have problems proving what the parties agreed.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 15 May 2012 4:56 pm

Are verbal agreements like this generally enforceable in Singapore?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 15 May 2012 6:28 pm

Yes, but you need to have a proof of what was agreed otherwise there will be no base for any dispute.

Live For the thrill

Post by Live For the thrill » Mon, 04 Jun 2012 11:23 pm

Hi Lauder and All,

Did you manage to sort this out?

This is why I ask:
I was put in touch with a rental agent similarly by my company and upfront I enquired about the 3k rule. He stated that yes this is the case and that he will negotiate with the other agent so that I do not have to pay the commission. In that case, I stated that it is fine and I will use him. However, now that I found a place that I like he just emails to say that his fee is half the months rental ? W T H ? What can I do? I like the place but i am not going to pay him $2000 after reaching an agreement and for 1 days work?

Please assist.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Tue, 05 Jun 2012 9:01 am

Did either of you sign the Estate Agency Agreement with these Agents?(see link below) If not don't pay any commission as it's more than likely the Agent has a signed agreement with the Landlord and is trying to get double commission from both of you. This is illegal!

http://www.cea.gov.sg/cea/content/binar ... Tenant.pdf

Live For the thrill

Post by Live For the thrill » Fri, 08 Jun 2012 5:11 pm

Hi Saint,

Thanks a mil!
Didn't sign the agreement and managed to sort it out!

Best regards

Lauder2012

Post by Lauder2012 » Fri, 08 Jun 2012 9:11 pm

Live For the thrill wrote:Hi Saint,

Thanks a mil!
Didn't sign the agreement and managed to sort it out!

Best regards
Yes I sorted it out did not sign and went sourced another agent who told me she would get the commission from the letting agent, just signed the TA and no commission paid, so all good.