Singapore Expats Forum

Salary at 145000 - Please advice

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Thu, 24 May 2012 10:09 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The average expat is nowhere near that figure, but a lot of western expats ARE. Most westerners here are Expats, but most Expats here AREN'T westerners. Therefore you are being somewhat misled by the small majority.


I prefer to categorize myself as a "migrant worker" to keep people from thinking that I can use money to wipe my arse.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35173
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 24 May 2012 10:36 am

:lol: +1

Sounds better than being an itinerant labourer though.....

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Thu, 24 May 2012 10:38 am

Or transient worker :P

But hey, technically, we all are, right?

User avatar
QRM
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon, 17 Oct 2005
Location: Nassim hill

Postby QRM » Thu, 24 May 2012 5:06 pm

I used to like being classed as an Alien

iloverice
Regular
Regular
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri, 30 Mar 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby iloverice » Thu, 24 May 2012 8:31 pm

I used to be marked as coolie

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35173
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 24 May 2012 9:29 pm

So was my Father-in-Law.

thismyvoice
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 161
Joined: Sun, 18 Apr 2010
Location: Singapore

Postby thismyvoice » Mon, 28 May 2012 9:29 pm

geheimnis wrote:what on earth are people talking about here? This guy is going to earn 145000 sgd annually ... that's like 90,000 euros a year .... AND PEOPLE ARE SAYING YOU'LL GET BY!!!!
Are all expats millionaires or what? please someone explain to me what exactly do you guys envision when you say a "mediocre" lifestyle? Because otherwise, singapore HAS to be atleast 4 times more expensive than the urban western europe!


From HSBC - "Expatriates in Singapore rank second in the world for income, with half earning over US$200,000 ($254,973) a year, a recent survey found."

Fresh out of the oven. SGD$145k a year package means way below average pay. :wink:

I wonder who they survey.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 29 May 2012 9:45 am

thismyvoice wrote:I wonder who they survey.


Most likely where "EXPATS" work .. like Marina Bay Financial Center area ?? and specifically they may have looked at all Caucasians are "EXPATS' and others as NOT ..

Did they state how many "EXPATS" were surveyed ?

And my German colleague here is going mental considering his pay is much less than the US$ 200,000 :)

Modery
Member
Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed, 28 Jul 2010
Contact:

Postby Modery » Tue, 29 May 2012 2:09 pm

Profile of Singapore based expats surveyed in 2010:
Sample size: 120
Country of origin: UK (45%);Australia (11%);India (9%)
Occupation: Banking (35%);Education (12%);Construction/Manufacturing/Utilities (8%)
Age: 25-34 (23%); 35-44 (33%); 45-54 (29%)
Gender: Male (72%); Female (28%)

http://www.expatexplorer.hsbc.com/#/country/Singapore

http://www.expatexplorer.hsbc.com/files ... report.pdf

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 29 May 2012 2:58 pm

Modery wrote:Profile of Singapore based expats surveyed in 2010:
Sample size: 120
Country of origin: UK (45%);Australia (11%);India (9%)
Occupation: Banking (35%);Education (12%);Construction/Manufacturing/Utilities (8%)
Age: 25-34 (23%); 35-44 (33%); 45-54 (29%)
Gender: Male (72%); Female (28%)

http://www.expatexplorer.hsbc.com/#/country/Singapore

http://www.expatexplorer.hsbc.com/files ... report.pdf


Did they pick the sample from their Premier Vantage clients ?? :D :D

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 699
Joined: Thu, 23 Jul 2009

Postby movingtospore » Thu, 31 May 2012 3:39 pm

Get your employer to pay at least some of your school fees. You can refer to new MOM policies that make it next to impossible to enroll in local schools.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6842
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Sat, 02 Jun 2012 1:59 am

movingtospore wrote:Get your employer to pay at least some of your school fees. You can refer to new MOM policies that make it next to impossible to enroll in local schools.


MOM or MOE?

What exactly changed? I heard it got harder for PRs, but didn't know it changed for others?

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Mon, 04 Jun 2012 1:26 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
movingtospore wrote:Get your employer to pay at least some of your school fees. You can refer to new MOM policies that make it next to impossible to enroll in local schools.


MOM or MOE?

What exactly changed? I heard it got harder for PRs, but didn't know it changed for others?


Basically, Citizens first, in school choice, then comes PR and Foreigners come last ..

So unlike before, a super performing foreigner's kid may find it hard to Go into SJC or VJC or RI or .. ..

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6842
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Tue, 05 Jun 2012 1:39 am

Foreigners were always last. Unless you mean super-performing PR, wouldn't it be the same thing?

Sucks for me, since I live about 100m from Tao Nan, and 200m from CHIJ-Katong. My kid will probably be stuck in Boon Lay or some crap if I stay that long.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 05 Jun 2012 9:44 am

zzm9980 wrote:Foreigners were always last. Unless you mean super-performing PR, wouldn't it be the same thing?

Sucks for me, since I live about 100m from Tao Nan, and 200m from CHIJ-Katong. My kid will probably be stuck in Boon Lay or some crap if I stay that long.


Yep, now Super performing PRs go into the "BEFORE THE FOREIGNERS" bucket.

Well, from what i understand from coffee / lunch / rec club chit chats, the PRs are not so stressed .. the reason being within each township, there are "other schools" which SCs don't like .. so unless the PRs are looking for a brand name school, most PRs are like, never mind, we can put our kid through tution and best his class.

And your kid will, in reality, may not have to travel the length of the island after all .. ;)


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests