Singapore Expats Forum

Qualitative vs QuantitativeRsch

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Sig

Qualitative vs QuantitativeRsch

Postby Sig » Tue, 07 Dec 2004 1:49 pm

Forgive my ignorance but could someone please tell me the difference between qualitative and quantitative research and give some examples too.
thank u

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Wed, 08 Dec 2004 9:08 am

Qualitative research mainly concerns looking and assessing facts as you would expect on the quality of the subject under research. This could be the actual quality, of say a garment, or of the quality of information compiled on any particular subject. (This of course is open to debate, as these matters are subjective to a certain extent.) However there broad guidelines as to the level and integrity of known knowledge, say, on well discussed subjects, which you can then safely quote. (Be careful with published work and be aware of the copyright rule.)

Quantative research is the area, generally and broadly speaking, of the mathmatical tally of your research. Usually taken over a pre ordained headcount, or referring to a known and controlable set number which will make your research more accesible to the public, whether they be the general public at large, or to an academic or professional body. These last two will expect greater depth and broader guidelines from you when you present your final work. All sources of both subjects must be correctly and carefully labelled. Graphs, spreadsheets etc.

However, Iuse these terms from an journalistic background, and am not in the least scientific by nature, or application, so I am sure you will benefit from hearing these points again, and far more astutely I should think, from members of the scientific fraternity.

Return to “General Discussions”