Singapore Expats

Pass for partner of a PR

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Post Reply
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun, 13 May 2012 4:05 pm

Pass for partner of a PR

Post by ChrisJ » Sun, 13 May 2012 4:13 pm

My partner has been out of the country studying and is returning at the end of this year.
I'm on EP and so we were going to apply for a longer term visit pass for her until she found work, with my company and the embassy endorsing the application/our defacto status - but there's a snag:

I'm applying for PR - if I get PR, what options are available for her? We're not married, but prior to her studying overseas we'd been living together for about 8 months.

I've found a lot of info here for partners of EP holders, but can't find anything clear on partners of PR holders (except to watch out for the getting permission before marrying if they used to have a work pass)

Can she still apply for the long term visit pass?

Cheers for any help,

User avatar
Posts: 6869
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 1:35 pm
Location: Once more unto the breach

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 14 May 2012 9:56 am

First off, you didn't mention if you are male or female. So I'll assume Male. (I've seen a few people post questions like this for same-sex couples and never specifically mention they're same sex)

Looks like your only option is to get married. The LTVP for EP holders specifically permits common-law spouse. The LTVP for SC/PR does not allow such a scheme, as there is no concept of common-law spouse in Singapore.

Would 8 months really be enough to be recognized as common-law spouses in your country anyway? Just get married. If you get the declaration of common-law relationship from your Embassy, she can probably use it to take you to the cleaners if you ever split up anyway.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest