Company in Singapore, living outside

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Post Reply
User avatar
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri, 11 May 2012 4:16 pm

Company in Singapore, living outside

Post by badokun » Fri, 11 May 2012 4:22 pm


Was wondering what the implication would be should I work for a company in Singapore and be paid there with a work visa, but living in another country.

My question is more about the visa/employment pass conditions, and possibly tax implications.

The arrangement has already been ok'd by my employer.

Any advice much appreciated

User avatar
Posts: 38885
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 4
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 11 May 2012 4:43 pm

Life isn't about avoiding the bruises. It's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it!

Posts: 1752
Joined: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 11:15 am
Location: Ahlongistan (O$P$)

Post by beppi » Fri, 11 May 2012 5:21 pm

You can only get a Singapore work visa (EP or WP) for working in Singapore, not for working elsewhere. Where and how you get paid is of no consequence for this.

If you are employed by a Singapore company in Singapore and they send you abroad, you can keep your Singapore work visa (if the arrangement is temporary and you intend to return before the visa expires), but you also need the other country's work visa.
If you are employed elsewhere to work there, then that country's law applies and you need to get a work visa there, even if the employer is Singapore-based and you get paid in Singapore.
If a Singapore company contracts you to deliver goods or services that you work on abroad, it is not employment but self-employed business.

Many countries (incl. Singapore) tax all income derived from work in the country, no matter how and where it's paid. In reverse, you pay no income tax in Singapore if you don't work here (even if you get paid in Singapore to work elsewhere). Some countries have different rules, so you should ask a tax consultant of the country you intend to work in about your tax liability there.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests