Singapore Expats

Flying in and out of Singapore on Tourist Visa

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sun, 06 May 2012 2:34 am

tjdwls85 wrote:I guess I will have to be more specific.

I am holding on to a Korean passport.

Actually I flew in 6 times and came in by land 2 times.

My visits include a few trips that range from 60~90 days and a few short visits 7 days, 30 days and so on.

What do you guys mean by frequency duration? and is there anyone who can define NOT TOO FREQUENT for me?
Risk Profiling at border control comes in a few areas

1. National Assessment for category 1 countries
http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid= ... #Egibility

2. Visa Requirement for these countries

3. Your travel pattern

4. Interviews by border control

As South Korean does not require Visa and mostly will get 30 or 90 days SVP, you will breeze through the immigration.
If you are conduction business and have proof to that effect , you will not be stopped too.
Your travel pattern will be checked and question if border control officers find it suspicious and your answers cannot be ascertain beyond reasonable doubt.
If you are a wanted criminal, you will be caught
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Sun, 06 May 2012 2:37 am

DiegoU wrote:
JR8 wrote:
tjdwls85 wrote:Non EU, but does that matter?
But is this considered illegal?
Yes your passport does matter as ICA will study patterns and judge accordingly. For example if you were a national of a relatively poor country they might wonder how you had the means to support yourself given SG is expensive, compounded by that during your extended stays in SG you are not working in a job in your home country and earning an income. So the red flags will go up.
What if i am freelance (from European Community which doesn´t matter in this case) who is looking for a job in Singapore in a social visit? Would it be possible to make some jobs for Europe online during that stay in Singapore, as long as i am looking for a job at the same time? It would be great to keep my clients in Europe and thus my savings above the surface, at least until i get a job and an EP, when i guess i should cancel any external profitable job. I guess this is not allowed but still didn´t find a clear answer. Any light on this would be very welcome!!
It is illegal to work while you are under Social Visit Pass.
Yes, you can look for a job while you are here
Doing freelancing under SVP technically is illegal and if you are caught you will be boot out from SG asap. However, proofing it will be difficult and usually it is under the radar unless you are caught with your pants down which is quite common in SG
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 06 May 2012 8:48 am

Mad Scientist wrote:Doing freelancing under SVP technically is illegal and if you are caught you will be boot out from SG asap. However, proofing it will be difficult and usually it is under the radar unless you are caught with your pants down which is quite common in SG
Happens in Geylang all the time! :P :P

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Sun, 06 May 2012 9:27 am

Is it just me or do I often find ZZM making references to Geylang in an increasing pattern? :P :lol: :cool: :mrgreen:

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 06 May 2012 11:10 am

the lynx wrote:Is it just me or do I often find ZZM making references to Geylang in an increasing pattern? :P :lol: :cool: :mrgreen:
Haha, probably! My old office was directly between Geylang and Joo Chiat. Redlight jokes were a very common occurrence in the office, at least daily. Like: A: Let's go get lunch! B: Ok, How about Thai? A: Nah, I don't think they're out until the evening. B: (groan)

You'd also hear the story at least twice a week of how when they chose this office in Singpost, some Exec from the US came out and made the decision, shocking a lot of people. He was apparently very religious and conservative, and no one told him how close it was to red-light stuff until after the paperwork was signed. Apparently he was shockingly embarrassed and never came back to that office again.

DiegoU

Post by DiegoU » Mon, 07 May 2012 12:40 am

Mad Scientist wrote: It is illegal to work while you are under Social Visit Pass.
Doing freelancing under SVP technically is illegal and if you are caught you will be boot out from SG asap. However, proofing it will be difficult and usually it is under the radar unless you are caught with your pants down which is quite common in SG
Thanks a lot Mad Scientist. I see that you´re versed on this as i´ve just found this other thread, which is more on topic.

Although i´ve visited SG a few times and have made a lot of research online, or chating with friends who are locals, still keep some doubts on the usual topics before moving to seek a job there. Should i make my own post or just contribute to several old ones? These topics seem to be so linked sometimes.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 07 May 2012 5:53 pm

DiegoU wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote: It is illegal to work while you are under Social Visit Pass.
Thanks a lot Mad Scientist. I see that you´re versed on this as i´ve just found this other thread, which is more on topic.

Although i´ve visited SG a few times and have made a lot of research online, or chating with friends who are locals, still keep some doubts on the usual topics before moving to seek a job there. Should i make my own post or just contribute to several old ones? These topics seem to be so linked sometimes.
Suit yourself

DiegoU

Post by DiegoU » Wed, 09 May 2012 11:05 pm

Mad Scientist wrote: Suit yourself
I will. ;)

But tonight Athletic Club Bilbao is playing the UEFA Cup final, so i´ll take my time!!