Singapore Expats Forum

Best frequent flyer program for Singapore residents?

Discuss travel and holidays tips and advice here.
SingLaw

Best frequent flyer program for Singapore residents?

Postby SingLaw » Tue, 01 May 2012 11:19 pm

Hi all,

I was just curious what the consensus was for the best frequent flyer program for Singapore residents. I'm currently a United MileagePlus member, but I noticed that the major Star Alliance carrier in Singapore is Singapore Airlines and a lot of its regional flights are handled by SilkAir and do not provide frequent flyer credit on other Star Alliance frequent flyer programs. Of course, I also considered Singapore Airlines' KrisFlyer (which does provide credit for those SilkAir flights), but its overall package seems very weak compared to almost any other "big" frequent flyer program.

Any thoughts on this? Am I looking at the wrong alliance and a Oneworld or Skyteam carrier would actually be better?

Mang0pudding

Postby Mang0pudding » Tue, 15 May 2012 12:22 am

Well I'd have to agree that KrisFlyer's benefit isnt attractive. However if you r based here then logically u would end up on SQ very often.. after all it flys all the common routes... not very much of a choice i guess...

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Postby BillyB » Tue, 15 May 2012 11:04 am

Oneworld is quite good if you are based in Singapore, but once you reach silver status they make it difficult to move up to gold unless you are putting in some very frequent long-haul flying, or fly business class regularly.

The avios (Miles) points are a pain to use toward flights / upgrades - they can only be used on selected flights and rarely do you find these on the days and times you'd like to travel.

But in terms of carriers - BA, Qantas, Cathay, Japan - they cover all the bases to Europe, the US, North Asia and Australia.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Tue, 15 May 2012 4:11 pm

Where are you planning to fly to the most? That's the important question.

SingLaw

Postby SingLaw » Wed, 16 May 2012 1:37 am

zzm9980 wrote:Where are you planning to fly to the most? That's the important question.

Probably Oslo and the US for long trips. Other than that, weekend getaways in Asia.

Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Zeenit » Thu, 05 Jul 2012 3:57 pm

We have Kris Flyer and every other club going. And when we book we book pricewise and just collect miles on whatever airline is going that way.

Krisflyer does upgrades and redeemed miles in asis with ease. Its the free tickets to the US/UK etc that not easy to come by.
So long and short dont let your airmile club decide your journey.
Zeenit

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Postby BillyB » Fri, 06 Jul 2012 1:10 pm

Zeenit wrote:We have Kris Flyer and every other club going. And when we book we book pricewise and just collect miles on whatever airline is going that way.

Krisflyer does upgrades and redeemed miles in asis with ease. Its the free tickets to the US/UK etc that not easy to come by.
So long and short dont let your airmile club decide your journey.

Zeenit - that's the classic mistake most people make with FF programs. They have points scattered around a few different programs and don't really make any headway into the higher status tiers or collect enough miles to splurge on a decent upgrade or free flights and to gain the benefits that higher status tends to provide - extra luggage, lounge access, direct customer service numbers, fasttrack security etc.

My view has always been pick an airline that, along with it's partners, covers off your potential destinations and stick with them for the long term, and don't let one or two bad flights cloud your judgement.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 06 Jul 2012 1:33 pm

^^^^

+1

sarasari

Postby sarasari » Tue, 09 Oct 2012 5:32 pm

I did that very mistake. I was with Krisflyer and then moved onto Air Canada because was told you can get to Gold Status a lot faster but still haven't reached Sivler.

I would agree that at least for redemption you probably should stick to SQ because with credit card you can convert to miles and eventually accumulate a few but for status (Gold) you need to fly business every other wweek-end it seems.
^-^

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Postby offshoreoildude » Tue, 09 Oct 2012 8:49 pm

In your situation I'd go for KF and what ever airline gives best value for Oslo. In my case as an Aussie it's KF and QFF - nothing else makes sense given the amount of regional flying I do and if I go to the US or UK I fly oneworld (BA) and collect QF points. The other factor is hotel chains - the priority club chain is good value regionally but in Australia they have closed at least 3 properties I know of. The Marriot and SPG and Quality Hotel chains are options as well. I find I get MORE value out of the hotel chains (as you can save thousands on hotel rooms costs with the points) than I ever get out of KFF. With QFF I spend the points in their store - they have good specials occasionally and the points spent give a better return than the flights IMO. Don't turn hotel points into flight points - the ratio is crap.
Now I'm called PNGMK

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Thu, 11 Oct 2012 7:36 pm

The problem with KF is the fringe benefits Billy speaks of are almost non-existant with them. For example, SQ *never ever* upgrades cabins. Business can be empty, coach overbooked, and they will bounce you to another flight, or in some stories I've read, even purchase you a ticket on another airline. It's a calculated decision they make to maximize profit per flight and not lower perceived value of their premium products. On the other hand, United for example has some guaranteed upgrades program.

I use Cathay, and stick with them religiously (even for many of my business flights that would be non-stop with SQ, but instead require a short layover at HKG w/ CX). I'm solid into Gold, will probably never make Diamond, but still get a fair number of upgrades. When I purchase Business, I'd estimate 30-40% are upgraded to first in the past year, Over 66% when you only look at the long hauls to the US. Those upgrades are completely worth the dedication to a specific network 10x over.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Postby offshoreoildude » Thu, 11 Oct 2012 10:26 pm

zzm9980 wrote:The problem with KF is the fringe benefits Billy speaks of are almost non-existant with them. For example, SQ *never ever* upgrades cabins. Business can be empty, coach overbooked, and they will bounce you to another flight, or in some stories I've read, even purchase you a ticket on another airline. It's a calculated decision they make to maximize profit per flight and not lower perceived value of their premium products. On the other hand, United for example has some guaranteed upgrades program.
dedication to a specific network 10x over.

And you know why? Some idiot member of that super KF class (solitude?) sued SIA for not upgrading him! So SQ simply canned ALL cabin upgrades. I used to get fairly regular upgrades until then (about 2007). (Note - solitude members traveling in economy used to be guaranteed an upgrade I believe).
Now I'm called PNGMK

sarasari

Postby sarasari » Thu, 31 Jan 2013 5:47 pm

Actually, just an update on AirCanada, they've now changed again and well, the criteria are higher now...

I can say goodbye to my Business Lounge access and priority tags :?
^-^

Johnny Drama

Postby Johnny Drama » Fri, 01 Mar 2013 3:21 am

moving to Singapore soon, as most of our travel will be with Emirates we're going to sign up to their miles scheme, does anyone know of local banks whose credit cards work with the emirates flyers scheme?

sarasari

Postby sarasari » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 4:26 pm

Johnny Drama wrote:moving to Singapore soon, as most of our travel will be with Emirates we're going to sign up to their miles scheme, does anyone know of local banks whose credit cards work with the emirates flyers scheme?

Am still in Singapore but considering doing the same. I feel like I get very little value for my loyalty to SIA and I am liking the fares from Emirates more
^-^