Singapore Expats Forum

Foreign "talent"

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

NorrinRadd
Regular
Regular
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun, 29 Apr 2012

Postby NorrinRadd » Sun, 29 Apr 2012 10:42 pm

Actually SMS, I could be wrong but think I've seen the FT term used in conjunction with maids as well. Agree that FL would probably be more appropriate for them. And would explain why the locals are confused.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34265
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 29 Apr 2012 10:48 pm

carteki wrote:(and its making more and more sense when you realise that there are more SPR's than citizens in Singapore. I never realised how outnumbered the citizens were here)


Kim, where in the world did you come up with that deduction? or is it a tongue-in-cheek statement?

NorrinRadd
Regular
Regular
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun, 29 Apr 2012

Postby NorrinRadd » Sun, 29 Apr 2012 10:50 pm

I guess you thought I needed you to explain it to me......

I'm pretty familiar with the posters here. Not you though.

But as to the more useful part of your comment, not sure what you mean - if I were in that position I'd turn down the offer because Singapore is not cheap, or because the salaries are not that great here, or both. And hasn't been for a long time.

Or is that what you meant and I missed it?

sweetgazebo wrote:As SMS explained, 'foreign talent' (and foreign labour) in Singapore means cheap labour.

I will tell you what's real talent. It's when the Singapore government writes you a letter, inviting you to consider migrating to Singapore to work when you are happily earning USD$30k / month as a banker in the US and you turn down the offer because you know that Singapore is just cheap!

And the above is from another malaysian based in the US.
Last edited by NorrinRadd on Sun, 29 Apr 2012 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Sun, 29 Apr 2012 10:52 pm

Was reading an article earlier on Temasek Times re: PRC language students protesting against their school. In the comments locals were referring to them as 'foreign talent' .... it makes no sense, they're not, they're foreign students.

Almost like they are building a convenient strawman in order to rail against it...

sweetgazebo
Regular
Regular
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon, 26 Dec 2011

Postby sweetgazebo » Sun, 29 Apr 2012 10:53 pm

well p'raps it would be best directing this Q to the owner of the letter (she received fr the Singapore government and her decision to turn down the offer). I do know from her that cheap labour is one of her reasons for turning down the offer but she had her other reasons too, which are not really related to the theme of this original post.


NorrinRadd wrote:I guess you thought I needed you to explain it to me......

I'm pretty familiar with the posters here. Not you though.

But as to the more useful part of your comment, not sure what you mean - if I were in that position I'd turn down the offer because Singapore is not cheap, or that the salaries are not that great here, or both. And hasn't been for a long time.

Or is that what you meant and I missed it?

[quote=["sweetgazebo"]As SMS explained, 'foreign talent' (and foreign labour) in Singapore means cheap labour.

I will tell you what's real talent. It's when the Singapore government writes you a letter, inviting you to consider migrating to Singapore to work when you are happily earning USD$30k / month as a banker in the US and you turn down the offer because you know that Singapore is just cheap!

And the above is from another malaysian based in the US.
[/quote]

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010
Location: My laptop

Postby BillyB » Sun, 29 Apr 2012 11:07 pm

NorrinRadd wrote:I guess you thought I needed you to explain it to me......

I'm pretty familiar with the posters here. Not you though.

But as to the more useful part of your comment, not sure what you mean - if I were in that position I'd turn down the offer because Singapore is not cheap, or because the salaries are not that great here, or both. And hasn't been for a long time.

Or is that what you meant and I missed it?

sweetgazebo wrote:As SMS explained, 'foreign talent' (and foreign labour) in Singapore means cheap labour.

I will tell you what's real talent. It's when the Singapore government writes you a letter, inviting you to consider migrating to Singapore to work when you are happily earning USD$30k / month as a banker in the US and you turn down the offer because you know that Singapore is just cheap!

And the above is from another malaysian based in the US.


I'm with you - absolute nonsense - I've read two posts by Sweetgazebo tonight and am reaching the conclusion she's been hitting the vino today........

sweetgazebo
Regular
Regular
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon, 26 Dec 2011

Postby sweetgazebo » Sun, 29 Apr 2012 11:09 pm

Which part is ábsolute nonsense' to you .... the cheap labour part or that real talent based back in the US?

BillyB wrote:
NorrinRadd wrote:I guess you thought I needed you to explain it to me......

I'm pretty familiar with the posters here. Not you though.

But as to the more useful part of your comment, not sure what you mean - if I were in that position I'd turn down the offer because Singapore is not cheap, or because the salaries are not that great here, or both. And hasn't been for a long time.

Or is that what you meant and I missed it?

sweetgazebo wrote:As SMS explained, 'foreign talent' (and foreign labour) in Singapore means cheap labour.

I will tell you what's real talent. It's when the Singapore government writes you a letter, inviting you to consider migrating to Singapore to work when you are happily earning USD$30k / month as a banker in the US and you turn down the offer because you know that Singapore is just cheap!

And the above is from another malaysian based in the US.


I'm with you - absolute nonsense - I've read two posts by Sweetgazebo tonight and am reaching the conclusion she's been hitting the vino today........

NorrinRadd
Regular
Regular
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun, 29 Apr 2012

Postby NorrinRadd » Sun, 29 Apr 2012 11:10 pm

I haven't heard of this, but would be interested to know more, if there's a link.

But yes, the OP is meant to educate (fruitless as we know that is) the progenitors and perpetuators of that unfortunate FT term, that their undoing is their own doing.

sweetgazebo wrote:well p'raps it would be best directing this Q to the owner of the letter (she received fr the Singapore government and her decision to turn down the offer). I do know from her that cheap labour is one of her reasons for turning down the offer but she had her other reasons too, which are not really related to the theme of this original post.

sweetgazebo
Regular
Regular
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon, 26 Dec 2011

Postby sweetgazebo » Sun, 29 Apr 2012 11:12 pm

Interesting Q you have there and why would you think this 'real talent' is from some web site?


NorrinRadd wrote:I haven't heard of this, but would be interested to know more, if there's a link.

But yes, the OP is meant to educate (fruitless as we know that is) the progenitors and perpetuators of that unfortunate FT term, that their undoing is their own doing.

sweetgazebo wrote:well p'raps it would be best directing this Q to the owner of the letter (she received fr the Singapore government and her decision to turn down the offer). I do know from her that cheap labour is one of her reasons for turning down the offer but she had her other reasons too, which are not really related to the theme of this original post.

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010
Location: My laptop

Postby BillyB » Sun, 29 Apr 2012 11:20 pm

sweetgazebo wrote:Which part is ábsolute nonsense' to you .... the cheap labour part or that real talent based back in the US?

BillyB wrote:
NorrinRadd wrote:I guess you thought I needed you to explain it to me......

I'm pretty familiar with the posters here. Not you though.

But as to the more useful part of your comment, not sure what you mean - if I were in that position I'd turn down the offer because Singapore is not cheap, or because the salaries are not that great here, or both. And hasn't been for a long time.

Or is that what you meant and I missed it?

sweetgazebo wrote:As SMS explained, 'foreign talent' (and foreign labour) in Singapore means cheap labour.

I will tell you what's real talent. It's when the Singapore government writes you a letter, inviting you to consider migrating to Singapore to work when you are happily earning USD$30k / month as a banker in the US and you turn down the offer because you know that Singapore is just cheap!

And the above is from another malaysian based in the US.


I'm with you - absolute nonsense - I've read two posts by Sweetgazebo tonight and am reaching the conclusion she's been hitting the vino today........


1. The fact you think banking is an industry full of talent!
2. Your reference to salary - a very shallow comment.
3. Why would the SG government write a letter to a Malaysian begging them to come to Singapore?
4. Your view that Singapore is cheap. If you're basing that comparison on both economies, then you are as stupid as your posts suggest.

sweetgazebo
Regular
Regular
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon, 26 Dec 2011

Postby sweetgazebo » Sun, 29 Apr 2012 11:24 pm

#2 - well why would a bank pay you USD$30K / month for nothing
#3 - you are obviously not aware of this, aren't you. (i won't be arguing on this point as i have seen and know). fools are those who were in the know but choose to question it
#4 - read my post again. i meant cheap as in cheap labour

BillyB wrote:
sweetgazebo wrote:Which part is ábsolute nonsense' to you .... the cheap labour part or that real talent based back in the US?

BillyB wrote:
NorrinRadd wrote:I guess you thought I needed you to explain it to me......

I'm pretty familiar with the posters here. Not you though.

But as to the more useful part of your comment, not sure what you mean - if I were in that position I'd turn down the offer because Singapore is not cheap, or because the salaries are not that great here, or both. And hasn't been for a long time.

Or is that what you meant and I missed it?

sweetgazebo wrote:As SMS explained, 'foreign talent' (and foreign labour) in Singapore means cheap labour.

I will tell you what's real talent. It's when the Singapore government writes you a letter, inviting you to consider migrating to Singapore to work when you are happily earning USD$30k / month as a banker in the US and you turn down the offer because you know that Singapore is just cheap!

And the above is from another malaysian based in the US.


I'm with you - absolute nonsense - I've read two posts by Sweetgazebo tonight and am reaching the conclusion she's been hitting the vino today........


1. The fact you think banking is an industry full of talent!
2. Your reference to salary - a very shallow comment.
3. Why would the SG government write a letter to a Malaysian begging them to come to Singapore?
4. Your view that Singapore is cheap. If you're basing that comparison on both economies, then you are as stupid as your posts suggest.

NorrinRadd
Regular
Regular
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun, 29 Apr 2012

Postby NorrinRadd » Sun, 29 Apr 2012 11:33 pm

....?............

From your reference to "the owner of the letter (she received fr the Singapore government" made me think it was something published in the news, which might be available online as was the one I referenced earlier about the guy who caught the flak about schools. If I can find it I'll post it.

But now I'm sure I don't know WTF you're on about.

sweetgazebo wrote:Interesting Q you have there and why would you think this 'real talent' is from some web site?


NorrinRadd wrote:I haven't heard of this, but would be interested to know more, if there's a link.

But yes, the OP is meant to educate (fruitless as we know that is) the progenitors and perpetuators of that unfortunate FT term, that their undoing is their own doing.

sweetgazebo wrote:well p'raps it would be best directing this Q to the owner of the letter (she received fr the Singapore government and her decision to turn down the offer). I do know from her that cheap labour is one of her reasons for turning down the offer but she had her other reasons too, which are not really related to the theme of this original post.
Last edited by NorrinRadd on Sun, 29 Apr 2012 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Sun, 29 Apr 2012 11:34 pm

sweetgazebo wrote:#2 - well why would a bank pay you USD$30K / month for nothing



Indeed why would they, maybe you can enlarge on that point? Do you think banks hold random lottery draws to pick people to pay $30/k/mo to who are tasked with doing nothing?

sweetgazebo
Regular
Regular
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon, 26 Dec 2011

Postby sweetgazebo » Sun, 29 Apr 2012 11:37 pm

Yep! ... if you can find this link about this 'real talent based back in the US' PLEASE do post it here ... it would be interesting to see what you can find and obviously you are just another foul-mouthed fool

but you are welcome to post this link, if you can find it



NorrinRadd wrote:....?............

Your reference to "the owner of the letter (she received fr the Singapore government" made me think it was something published in the news, which might be available online as was the one I referenced earlier about the guy who caught the flak about schools. If I can find it I'll post it.

But now I'm sure I don't know WTF you're on about.

sweetgazebo wrote:Interesting Q you have there and why would you think this 'real talent' is from some web site?


NorrinRadd wrote:I haven't heard of this, but would be interested to know more, if there's a link.

But yes, the OP is meant to educate (fruitless as we know that is) the progenitors and perpetuators of that unfortunate FT term, that their undoing is their own doing.

sweetgazebo wrote:well p'raps it would be best directing this Q to the owner of the letter (she received fr the Singapore government and her decision to turn down the offer). I do know from her that cheap labour is one of her reasons for turning down the offer but she had her other reasons too, which are not really related to the theme of this original post.

NorrinRadd
Regular
Regular
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun, 29 Apr 2012

Postby NorrinRadd » Sun, 29 Apr 2012 11:40 pm

If I post anything it won't be from an arrogant welcome.

In the meantime, feel free to pour yourself another glass of whatever you've been drinking.

sweetgazebo wrote:Yep! ... if you can find this link about this 'real talent based back in the US' PLEASE do post it here ... it would be interesting to see what you can find and obviously you are just another foul-mouthed fool


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests