Singapore Expats

Foreign "talent"

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
sweetgazebo
Regular
Regular

Post by sweetgazebo » Tue, 01 May 2012 12:44 am

nakatago wrote:The stress here is because someone wants to look good--either the manager who wants his team to have a high throughput or the employee who wants the manager to think he's working hard.

unless they have been to states or ol blighty there isn't yet a yard stick for them to measure this so called 'stress' they are harping on so much about

The "stressed-out" singaporeans got nothing on Japanese salary men. And they like calling the Aussies and French lazy. .... "or the indians or the brits (so says a local)":D

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 01 May 2012 12:51 am

sweetgazebo wrote:recently i read somewhere of a local who's in her late 30s and got laid off fr her admin post. she managed to land an interview after like 3 mths unemployment. but alas the job she interviewed for went to an (indian) foreigner. her last drawn was about $3k / mth. i am guessing the foreigner went for even less.
No, the foreigner is probably making the same amount but without the added employer's CPF, truth be known. And the reason she probably lost out was the Indian probably wrote a decent resume and spoke in real English and not Singlish. And, as is probably the case, the locals are generally late for interviews as well, blaming it on the traffic or whatever, when it just shows that they didn't leave early enough to allow for contingencies. Frankly, I was a headhunter here for 8 years and have been an HR/Finance Manager for the last 8 years. I've about seen it all. As I am in a service industry, half of my staff are foreign, and they have a very low turnover rate. When they do, it's usually because of quota because of locals just walking off the jobs without notice.
:x
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Tue, 01 May 2012 12:58 am

plus the fact that being unemployed for 3 months doesn't give you a bargaining chip in requesting for 3k or more. a hiring manager would think why wouldn't you get the job for less when you aren't earning any now. thats just my opinion and how i imagine it would be if i was the hiring manager...

on a lighter note..i had the weirdest experience where one applicant phoned in to ask if the boss is Singaporean...?...wtf...whats that got to do with the job. :shock:

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 01 May 2012 1:02 am

nakatago wrote: The "stressed-out" singaporeans got nothing on Japanese salary men. And they like calling the Aussies and French lazy.
Yah, imagine a SGn dying because of karoshi (death through overwork).

Lol! :lol:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 01 May 2012 1:04 am

He/she probably thinks that if it's a Singaporean, they won't have any ethics and will hire another Singaporean even though not the best qualified of the applicants. It's been done. Often. I've seen it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sweetgazebo
Regular
Regular

Post by sweetgazebo » Tue, 01 May 2012 1:44 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
sweetgazebo wrote:recently i read somewhere of a local who's in her late 30s and got laid off fr her admin post. she managed to land an interview after like 3 mths unemployment. but alas the job she interviewed for went to an (indian) foreigner. her last drawn was about $3k / mth. i am guessing the foreigner went for even less.
No, the foreigner is probably making the same amount but without the added employer's CPF, truth be known. yeap wholly agree on this but then again was told by this local that the asking remuneration of the foreigner for this job she interviewed for was lower than her asking (when she asked on the reasons for rejection)

And the reason she probably lost out was the Indian probably wrote a decent resume and spoke in real English and not Singlish. actually oso have to agree on this coz having worked with s'poreans i find their english really ala ah-beng -ah lian-like but the local quoted here is an indian

When they do, it's usually because of quota because of locals just walking off the jobs without notice. heard that same comment fr a french man who has a sandwich shop in the CBD and decided after, 4 locals did not turned up for work 2 weeks in a row, that he will not be hiring any more locals

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 01 May 2012 2:17 am

sweetgazebo wrote:actually oso have to agree on this coz having worked with s'poreans i find their english really ala ah-beng -ah lian-like

:lol:

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 01 May 2012 8:19 am

JR8 wrote:
nakatago wrote: The "stressed-out" singaporeans got nothing on Japanese salary men. And they like calling the Aussies and French lazy.

Still they ARE stressed. What you are taking about is that they have no rational reasons to be stressed but this is a bit different kettle of fish. They are stressed by self propelled culturally driven stress very similar way as what they do to their children (and even more to themselves) in the local education system.

IOP
Regular
Regular

Post by IOP » Tue, 01 May 2012 8:22 am

sweetgazebo wrote:After my last experience at a financial institution where 95% of them are indians honestly i find the quality of their work that of 3rd world level - how can there be competition? :?

morenangpinay wrote:......locals should take the competition as a challenge instead because at some point there will always be someone else more capable than you. You can't control other people's actions, you can only control your own so they should take it as a way to improve themselves.
The same for me, also financial institution.
They just hire themselves. Also there are many of them, and they keeping applying for jobs in Singapore every minute.

NorrinRadd
Regular
Regular

Post by NorrinRadd » Tue, 01 May 2012 12:34 pm

+1 to the LOL

This bizarre attempt at English is a criticism of English?

"oso" "dats" "fr" - this poster writes like a poorly-masked local complaining about the same.

Outed.
JR8 wrote:
sweetgazebo wrote:actually oso have to agree on this coz having worked with s'poreans i find their english really ala ah-beng -ah lian-like

:lol:

NorrinRadd
Regular
Regular

Post by NorrinRadd » Tue, 01 May 2012 12:39 pm

These is probably the best / only reasonable uses for the FT label.

Never liked your nick, always like your posts.

As far as the menial jobs are concerned, there's no point in them attempting to do them if they're not going to do them without whinging or doing them half-assed when others will do them properly and gratefully without attitude.
the lynx wrote:OK going back to the topic (again), I personally think that the moniker FT is always for the ones with a 'different set skills', for example, those from specific science disciplines which Singapore is not investing on (leaning heavily on biotechnology, biomedicine, health sciences and chemistry). Of course there are more disciplines in different fields but I'm touching on one for now.

Although in jest, I would like to say that considering how apathetic locals are to 'menial' jobs such as landscaping, construction and even pest management, I'm not surprised if the government considering foreigners brought in to fill up these vacancies as 'talents' as well - since the locals consider themselves 'unfit' for these too.

sweetgazebo
Regular
Regular

Post by sweetgazebo » Tue, 01 May 2012 12:43 pm

sigh .... OP starts thread but oso hijacks thread ... :D:D :D
NorrinRadd wrote:+1 to the LOL

This bizarre attempt at English is a criticism of English?

"oso" "dats" "fr" - this poster writes like a poorly-masked local complaining about the same.
NorrinRadd wrote:sweetgazebo ('sour shack' might be a better fit) - contrary to what you seem to think, this (nor any other) thread is not about you.

Can you just take your noise somewhere else so the thread can continue being about the thread without your attention-starved head keep popping up?
NorrinRadd ---> :???: wrote:
Good that we got back on topic after it got hijacked.
Last edited by sweetgazebo on Tue, 01 May 2012 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 01 May 2012 12:51 pm

x9200 wrote:
JR8 wrote:

Still they ARE stressed. What you are taking about is that they have no rational reasons to be stressed but this is a bit different kettle of fish. They are stressed by self propelled culturally driven stress very similar way as what they do to their children (and even more to themselves) in the local education system.
So, their state's collapse would be self-inflicted then?

It'll be like karoshi, except in a state-wide level!

:roll:
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 01 May 2012 1:25 pm

They have not so much to do in reality with the condition of the State. This is both thankful and potentially dooming factor but I don't think any collapse is coming soon.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 01 May 2012 1:56 pm

sweetgazebo wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
No, the foreigner is probably making the same amount but without the added employer's CPF, truth be known. yeap wholly agree on this but then again was told by this local that the asking remuneration of the foreigner for this job she interviewed for was lower than her asking (when she asked on the reasons for rejection)

And the reason she probably lost out was the Indian probably wrote a decent resume and spoke in real English and not Singlish. actually oso have to agree on this coz having worked with s'poreans i find their english really ala ah-beng -ah lian-like but the local quoted here is an indian

A local Indian is no different than a local Chinese or Malay. All are the same when it come to writing proper resumes and being late. This is also one reason that local Indians do not like "new" Indians coming here either, as it puts them in a bad light as well (except for a small handful of those who "stellar" parents (we know who they are) or 2nd Gen youths whose High Achiever Parents took up citizenship here.

When they do, it's usually because of quota because of locals just walking off the jobs without notice. heard that same comment fr a french man who has a sandwich shop in the CBD and decided after, 4 locals did not turned up for work 2 weeks in a row, that he will not be hiring any more locals