Singapore Expats Forum

Manners campaign required??

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

NorrinRadd
Regular
Regular

Postby NorrinRadd » Sun, 24 Jun 2012 10:53 pm

Thanks for clarifying, because I was only guessing at that.

These new buses have seats pretty close together that people just can't do it the Singapore Way anymore.

I don't give anyone the chance to think about it, I just politely and firmly tell them to slide over. I usually have to say it 2-3 times but so far it seems to work.

I do have a couple of planned responses should I face refusal, one of them being to say thanks and walk away.

As ready, willing and able I may be to take a more aggressive response, it's just not worth it.

the lynx wrote:
NorrinRadd wrote:I can't understand a word they're saying. Ok, a word here and there. What it does appear to be is a storm in a teacup.

Does it have anything to do with the rude practice here of people occupying the outside seat inconveniencing the other person by making them climb over them to get in and out?

Kids, this is why you should always occupy the inside seat first. Two of your uncles didn't follow the rule and boy, one of them got his face creamed

sundaymorningstaple wrote:It has everything to do with it. I see it almost daily.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Mon, 25 Jun 2012 12:19 am

Seems that the man in blue is pretty known (or notorious), as seen from Youtube comments. He's probably a familiar face around Clementi area, manning a hawker centre.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Mon, 25 Jun 2012 12:30 am

Maybe he'll be arrested for assault, as the other guy, the uncle, is bleeding (from two places).

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 25 Jun 2012 9:43 am

JR8 wrote:
Vaucluse wrote:
JR8 wrote:Curiously riven society where one element have decided that another must be told to be kind.

Curiously it's not that rare . . . actually we all have it in one way or another . . . they're called laws. :)

I can't think of a country where kindness is mandated by law.
:???:
Think about the laws that govern us and don't get stuck on a word - that may just do it for you

NorrinRadd wrote:
Does it have anything to do with the rude practice here of people occupying the outside seat inconveniencing the other person by making them climb over them to get in and out?
Are you serious? Where are you from - a country where people automatically occupy the inside seat?

There's critique and then there's senseless moaning

JR8 wrote:Maybe he'll be arrested for assault, as the other guy, the uncle, is bleeding (from two places).
Hardly a legal argument, is it.

'nuff said Image

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Postby poodlek » Mon, 25 Jun 2012 2:48 pm

Vaucluse wrote:
NorrinRadd wrote:
Are you serious? Where are you from - a country where people automatically occupy the inside seat?

There's critique and then there's senseless moaning

Well, actually where I'm from, yes, people on the bus usually do automatically occupy the inside seat. Singapore is the first place I've been where folks do the opposite as a rule.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Mon, 25 Jun 2012 3:44 pm

Vaucluse wrote:Think about the laws that govern us and don't get stuck on a word - that may just do it for you

If you go back to the top of the page you'll see it is a sub-discussion re: Kindness Corp and kindness. I understood the earlier point you were trying to make but it was a non sequitur.

Vaucluse wrote:Hardly a legal argument, is it.

I'd have thought having CCTV footage of someone assaulting you would make for a legal 'argument', but I'm not a lawyer. Can you explain why you think there would be no case to answer?

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 25 Jun 2012 11:30 pm

poodlek wrote:Well, actually where I'm from, yes, people on the bus usually do automatically occupy the inside seat. Singapore is the first place I've been where folks do the opposite as a rule.
You must share which nirvana you are from then, I'd love to visit

JR8 wrote:I'd have thought having CCTV footage of someone assaulting you would make for a legal 'argument', but I'm not a lawyer. Can you explain why you think there would be no case to answer?[/color]
Ah, but you're moving the goalpost. Now you're talking about proof of assault whereas in your initial statement you said:

JR8 wrote:Maybe he'll be arrested for assault, as the other guy, the uncle, is bleeding (from two places).

Someone bleeding does not mean innocence

LLB 101

'nuff said Image

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 25 Jun 2012 11:58 pm

Yeah, sometimes it's called bitin' off more'n you can chew! :devil:

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Tue, 26 Jun 2012 1:29 am

:roll:

NorrinRadd
Regular
Regular

Postby NorrinRadd » Tue, 26 Jun 2012 8:14 am

Yes, the same here back home, and in another country where I lived. Not automatically taking the inside seat, but to move over without having to be asked, and move out to let people out without having to be asked.

Much better than the alternative from what is more often than not that is done here, that rude half-hearted side twist, if that's done at all.

poodlek wrote:Well, actually where I'm from, yes, people on the bus usually do automatically occupy the inside seat. Singapore is the first place I've been where folks do the opposite as a rule.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 26 Jun 2012 9:14 am

poodlek wrote:Well, actually where I'm from, yes, people on the bus usually do automatically occupy the inside seat.

Same where I am from as well.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 26 Jun 2012 9:55 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
poodlek wrote:Well, actually where I'm from, yes, people on the bus usually do automatically occupy the inside seat.

Same where I am from as well.
You haven't been there in 50 years . . ., public transport was abandoned in the 70s :)

As nice as it sounds, I think it is perfectly normal to sit on the aisle instead of squeezing onto the window seat . . . or maybe I just fly too much or I am too tall to want to endure the cramped feeling.

I think the difference here is getting up instead of just sitting there making tiny pretensions at moving if someone wants to get to the window - that should be a given

Aah, Poodlek is from Canada, Toronto even, - a special place- can't and won't argue her point as it is probably true what she says.

'nuff said Image

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 26 Jun 2012 10:14 am

I still request a window seat on the airlines as well. Same in a car. Most jostle for "riding shotgun" e.g., the window seat. And public transport is alive and well on the east coast of the US. I was just back in January! :tongue:

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 26 Jun 2012 12:22 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I still request a window seat on the airlines as well. Same in a car. Most jostle for "riding shotgun" e.g., the window seat. And public transport is alive and well on the east coast of the US. I was just back in January! :tongue:

January . . . 1969? :)

In Chicago you don't find people sitting on the window on either bus or the L . . . drive-by shootings in reverse.

I choose aisle on planes and public transport because I have long legs and can choose to make a 'polite' exit in case my neighbour turns out to be a reject from the 'Clean Body Association'.

'nuff said Image

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Tue, 26 Jun 2012 1:28 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I still request a window seat on the airlines as well.

When going to the US?! I will never do it again, unless I know the other two in the same row!