Singapore Expats

Manners campaign required??

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 27 May 2012 10:53 am

We are just very good investigators with a tiny bit of information gleaned from a lot of sources and sometimes just a modicum of luck (in the last case when I found her facebook page and the first pic of one of her "friends" happened to be my daughter. Knowing facebook her "friends" are cross-refed with my own friends and they are then presented first.

Actually that's not true at all. This is......

Image :devil:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 27 May 2012 11:16 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:We are just very good investigators with a tiny bit of information gleaned from a lot of sources and sometimes just a modicum of luck (in the last case when I found her facebook page and the first pic of one of her "friends" happened to be my daughter. Knowing facebook her "friends" are cross-refed with my own friends and they are then presented first.

Actually that's not true at all. This is......

Image :devil:

Mods looking at registered email addresses, and searching on fb. That's what I suspected, but wasn't sure :P

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Speaking of No Manners...

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 27 May 2012 12:53 pm

Coming into Changi from KL. Woman struggling to get her bag out of the overhead storage bin. Do the guys behind her wait? Or help? No. Instead, the inconsiderate buggers just keep pushing past her knocking her out of the way, making it impossible for her to get he bags. I finally got up (window seat) and said, "Stop it you inconsiderate buggers. Are you in that much of a hurry?" Not one of them had anything to say. Asian and expat. Bums all of them.

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Speaking of No Manners...

Post by poodlek » Sun, 27 May 2012 2:13 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Coming into Changi from KL. Woman struggling to get her bag out of the overhead storage bin. Do the guys behind her wait? Or help? No. Instead, the inconsiderate buggers just keep pushing past her knocking her out of the way, making it impossible for her to get he bags. I finally got up (window seat) and said, "Stop it you inconsiderate buggers. Are you in that much of a hurry?" Not one of them had anything to say. Asian and expat. Bums all of them.
I had a similar experience boarding an Air Asia flight, except I was waiting for the person ahead of me to load their overhead luggage while I was holding my sleeping toddler. The lady behind me pushed and shoved me repeatedly attempting to get past (the more she pushed the firmer I held my ground) until I turned to her and said "WAIT YOUR TURN!!" at which point she said "that's my seat there" pointing to the one next to me. All she had to do was say 'excuse me' and I would have stepped aside. Seriously.

NorrinRadd
Regular
Regular

Post by NorrinRadd » Sun, 27 May 2012 3:56 pm

I applaud both of your responses, and hope others do the same in such situations.

I mentioned this in another post, but the key thing is not to let this place erode your/our own sense of respect for other people, hard as that is over time and daily examples of this.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 27 May 2012 4:33 pm

zzm9980 wrote: Mods looking at registered email addresses, and searching on fb. That's what I suspected, but wasn't sure :P
Wasn't quite that easy in this case. Actually had to do some investigative searching and deducing to get enough pieces to make it fit. :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 27 May 2012 5:06 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Mods looking at registered email addresses, and searching on fb. That's what I suspected, but wasn't sure :P
Please....at least for me, I have better things to do with my time.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 27 May 2012 7:56 pm

Normally I do as well, but with constant back & forth to my BiL's wake I can't do too much of any thing else at the moment. :-|

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Mon, 28 May 2012 3:53 pm

I dont know if this is related but I guess its related to the kindness campaign...i hate reading this stuff in newspapers. Its about the proposed bishan nursing home and residents voiced out why they oppose it... like the stuff below:

-Loss of site as football field
-Children will have to play in the void deck and stain the walls - Retiree, Seet Ker Lay, 70
-Air flow into their houses will be blocked, and they would have to use air conditioners to keep their houses cool
-“The old folk will be groaning right into my home.”

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 28 May 2012 4:42 pm

Well, they are famous for their empathy.

:roll:
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Mon, 28 May 2012 7:24 pm

[quote="morenangpinay"]

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Tue, 29 May 2012 3:42 pm

[quote="poodlek"][quote="morenangpinay"]

sensei_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sensei_ » Wed, 30 May 2012 1:41 pm

morenangpinay wrote:its not the first time i encountered nonsense from grown ups..my neighbor had the same type of comments when our cat wandered into his house...he told us to keep our cat inside the house because worse things can happen..like he can be called a murderer! coz if he chase the cat out the window and the cat fell and died ...he will be called a murderer!...

..mmmkay...im sure a cat wont die from the 2nd floor window.. :roll:
to be fair what was your cat doing in the neighbour's apartment? if it was in mine, you would be given the dead cat's body on your doorstep.

i dislike animals because im allergic to them (shedding fur and what not), and the mess they make.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Wed, 30 May 2012 4:24 pm

I was commenting on idiotic statements such as the one I heard from my neighbor who said he will be called a murderer because the cat would die if it fell from the 2nd floor of the building. I never said we were not at fault in the first place. In fact we went to the neighbor and offered a fruit basket and apologized resulting to the discussion I mentioned.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 20 Jun 2012 10:21 pm

When the worst of both worlds collide in MRT

Middle-aged auntie versus ah lian over a MRT seat. Who will win, or rather, who will lose more face than the other?
(in delibrate Singlish)

Everybody, get your popcorn!