Singapore Expats Forum

35 year old American New to Singapore

Events and gatherings for the 30's Club
YankStuckinSuiss
Regular
Regular

35 year old American New to Singapore

Postby YankStuckinSuiss » Sun, 15 Apr 2012 8:52 pm

I'm a 35 year old single African American male IT worker...from the Washington D.C. area.

I'm looking to meet people here in Singapore, especially locals, but anyone cool is welcome. I lived in Taiwan, China (Shanghai), Japan, and Switzerland before, so not new to Asia, and I'm especially interested in people who speak some Mandarin.

I love movies, read a lot, exercise (gym), learning new languages, and eating. I'm also highly interested in the local culture(s).

PM me if you want to meet up...
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

-George Bernard Shaw

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 15 Apr 2012 9:09 pm

Whoa! Homeboy! I worked in DC around the time you were born! :oops!: :shit:

I used to be the District Director for H&R Block. Had all of North EAST :o
and North West DC. Friday nights collecting receipts in some of those offices could be pretty hairy back then (I had one over on 14th street just above the last of the burnt out area (this was back in the mid-70's).

My main office was on Upper Connecticut Avenue just across from the now defunct Yenching Palace. (I left there the year before the commencement of the subway contruction). Later trips home found out the built an entrance right in front of my old office at 3337 Connecticut Ave.

I didn't live in DC, but commuted from Laurel, MD. Left in '77 to go diving!

YankStuckinSuiss
Regular
Regular

Postby YankStuckinSuiss » Sun, 15 Apr 2012 9:24 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Whoa! Homeboy! I worked in DC around the time you were born! :oops!: :shit:

I used to be the District Director for H&R Block. Had all of North EAST :o
and North West DC. Friday nights collecting receipts in some of those offices could be pretty hairy back then (I had one over on 14th street just above the last of the burnt out area (this was back in the mid-70's).

My main office was on Upper Connecticut Avenue just across from the now defunct Yenching Palace. (I left there the year before the commencement of the subway contruction). Later trips home found out the built an entrance right in front of my old office at 3337 Connecticut Ave.

I didn't live in DC, but commuted from Laurel, MD. Left in '77 to go diving!

Well I never lived in the district either...I lived in Alexandria and Fairfax. :-) But you know, I usually say 'D.C." for people outside the region. I mostly worked downtown though, so everyday on the Metro.

Last place I worked there was the Red Cross National HQ, between the White House and George Wash U....okay area.

DC is pretty safe now but for areas of the SE, but I guess that area along the beltway, next to Maryland, will always be a bit dangerous. It's my favorite place I have lived in America.

I moved a lot as a kid though, military family. When my father retired, it seemed I kept moving, but I think i want to settle here. I'm tired of moving.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

-George Bernard Shaw

tonyjo

Re: 35 year old American New to Singapore

Postby tonyjo » Tue, 17 Apr 2012 12:56 am

YankStuckinSuiss wrote:I'm a 35 year old single African American male IT worker...from the Washington D.C. area.

I'm looking to meet people here in Singapore, especially locals, but anyone cool is welcome. I lived in Taiwan, China (Shanghai), Japan, and Switzerland before, so not new to Asia, and I'm especially interested in people who speak some Mandarin.

I love movies, read a lot, exercise (gym), learning new languages, and eating. I'm also highly interested in the local culture(s).

PM me if you want to meet up...

I'm here short-term until Mid-May (been here two weeks) but welcome to share what I know (which is little). I'm a 37 year old AA male from Atlanta.

I'm staying at UE Square near Robertson Walk, so I'm close to a lot of expats, nightlife and dining. I'm heading back state-side for a week starting on the 19th, but let me know if you want to catch up quickly before then or after.

Singapore has been great - beautiful city and people. The lifestyle is quite vibrant and I'm slowly making it out. It is a change from the states..I've been able to find a good tailor quicker than I can a barber!! Maybe sundaymorningstaple can help out!

Feel free to PM me or send me an email - TLJONES AT GMAIL DOT COM

Later.

Tony

joliefemme536

Postby joliefemme536 » Thu, 26 Apr 2012 9:51 pm

Hey Guys!

31 year old female from Texas here. I've been living in Singers for over 2 years now. Drop me a line if you want to get together for a drink.

joliefemme536 at yahoo dot com

Jennifer

jasbier

Postby jasbier » Thu, 26 Apr 2012 10:04 pm

Hi Guys

welcome to SG! I have been living for almost 18 years. My friends all migrated to America, Australia, Canada, etc etc..... I am left behind ;(

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 26 Apr 2012 10:17 pm

joliefemme536 wrote:Hey Guys!

31 year old female from Texas here. I've been living in Singers for over 2 years now. Drop me a line if you want to get together for a drink.

Jennifer

Wow Jen, finally, somebody woke you up. Been a while since we've seen you on the board!

With your two years here, have you managed to find a barber who can handle Tonyjo's hair, and for that matter all similar dudes with the same problem. As I don't have ANY hair at all (clean shaven pate) I really can't help.

:cool:

joliefemme536

Postby joliefemme536 » Fri, 27 Apr 2012 12:15 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
joliefemme536 wrote:Hey Guys!

Jennifer

Wow Jen, finally, somebody woke you up. Been a while since we've seen you on the board!

With your two years here, have you managed to find a barber who can handle Tonyjo's hair, and for that matter all similar dudes with the same problem. As I don't have ANY hair at all (clean shaven pate) I really can't help.

:cool:

I know right! I've been lurking... Actually, the barber has already left Singapore BUT he left his expensive hair clippers with me. I can't cut hair but the guys are welcome to borrow the clippers and attempt themselves :D

tonyjo

Postby tonyjo » Tue, 01 May 2012 7:39 pm

Speaking of getting together - is anyone interested in helping me locate and find a place to watch the Mayweather + Cotto fight this weekend?

I have HBO at my place, but can't order pay-per-view (serviced apt) - so I'm trying to find a place to watch it. I'm thinking the Sands might have it, but I'm not sure if they have a sports-book or not.

Regardless, I'd LIKE to see if I we can hook that up as an initial meeting - but if not I'm willing to try something Saturday night as an informal introduction. There is a spot in Chinatown on Anne Siang that might be perfect.

Also, anyone interested in a FB group? I like the forum, but FB groups are just a habit!!

Later!

YankStuckinSuiss
Regular
Regular

Postby YankStuckinSuiss » Wed, 02 May 2012 12:38 pm

I would be down for this, but what time are you talking? I had something else planned...so it might conflict...

-George Bernard Shaw

yan3080
Regular
Regular

Postby yan3080 » Fri, 04 May 2012 9:44 am

31 , female , local ,chinese . Feel free to make new friends ..
plan my trips 2014
http://goo.gl/2xohyf

tonyjo

Postby tonyjo » Fri, 04 May 2012 10:11 am

I'll keep everyone posted in regards to the fight - as of now, I still haven't found a way to watch it from over here other than from my computer or a shared video stream. This definitely won't work for the masses.

Anyone down for drinks or meeting up tonight (Friday) or Sunday afternoon/evening? I'm planning to head to Club St/Chinatown this evening after 8pm or so if anyone wants to catch up. Jen, I'll hit you up on FB too!

I'm thinking Beaujolais or Bartini - first drink (or two) is on me for those that show up!!

Tony

tonyjo

Postby tonyjo » Fri, 04 May 2012 12:28 pm

All, for those that can make it, folks are heading to Beaujolais @ 8:30pm. Nothing formal, just trying to put a date on the calendar to try and sync up folks interested in meeting new people.

Email me or catch me on FB if you have questions.

Beaujolais, 8:30pm
1 Anne Siang Hill
http://beaujolais.com.sg/

Tony Jones
http://www.facebook.com/tonyljones

claresun2000

hi

Postby claresun2000 » Wed, 23 May 2012 11:35 pm

hi, the singapore art festival is coming. do u have interest in watching some show near by explanade park?

YankStuckinSuiss
Regular
Regular

Postby YankStuckinSuiss » Wed, 23 May 2012 11:37 pm

Someone was mentioning that to me last night actually. I want to check it out...PM me we can discuss.

-George Bernard Shaw