Singapore Expats

Maid's room = bomb shelter, is this normal in Singapore?

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 16 Apr 2012 3:02 pm

x9200 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:I dont' remember the older ones, but the newer ones are NOT airtight .. they have two vent holes at the top .. and some enterprising landlords have plugged in portable aircons with flexi-tubes to rent them out ..
They are airtight. The vent holes are equipped with the shutting, rubber sealed cover like this one in the pic below:
in my house, it cannot be plugged anymore, the landlord has made permanent decorations and fixtures, with some fake plants and all, to disguise the hole .. ;)

And It is permanently set open ..

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Mon, 16 Apr 2012 3:35 pm

So your's is not air tight then, doesn't mean none are though :P
nutnut

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 16 Apr 2012 3:45 pm

nutnut wrote:So your's is not air tight then, doesn't mean none are though :P
Later when I get home let me check again

If I recall, the metal blank on the vent is on runners, so it can be pushed or pulled out - so NOT AIR-TIGHT unless somebody shut it ..

Got it ?? ;) ;)

and my colleague here says HDB revised the rule and in his house, he got his renovator to remove the door and made the bomb shelter a corner open room for his storage + other things, minus the door ..

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 16 Apr 2012 3:51 pm

ecureilx wrote: If I recall, the metal blank on the vent is on runners, so it can be pushed or pulled out - so NOT AIR-TIGHT unless somebody shut it ..
Don't focus on the small parts, it also has a door unless yours is permanently fused with the frame.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 16 Apr 2012 4:54 pm

Whose meant to be doing all the bombing to necessitate this?

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Mon, 16 Apr 2012 7:48 pm

ecureilx wrote: If I recall, the metal blank on the vent is on runners, so it can be pushed or pulled out - so NOT AIR-TIGHT unless somebody shut it ..

Got it ?? ;) ;)
Stop being such a tool!
nutnut

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 16 Apr 2012 8:11 pm

That's not the terminology I would have used, but that's why I didn't post a comment as well. :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 16 Apr 2012 8:14 pm

Oh I just didn't get it. Was it a joke?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 16 Apr 2012 8:28 pm

The sad part is, he's like that in a normal face to face conversation as well. ](*,) #-o
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Mon, 16 Apr 2012 10:31 pm

Yep!
nutnut

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 16 Apr 2012 11:39 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Oh, for the radar at Marine Parade, it is a Maritime Radar - for tracking vessels at the anchorage for the HARTS system. It don't see the air .. ;)
Dual-use I'm sure (or could be quickly converted). At least the US would make sure to bomb it too :p

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 17 Apr 2012 12:15 am

For a moment there, I thought i read HAARP.

:o
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 17 Apr 2012 9:39 am

nutnut wrote:

Got it ?? ;) ;)
Stop being such a tool!
funny .. you say that, since I believe you and x9200 don't live in HDB .. unlike me, so I don't think you guys have seen many bomb shelters.

SMS - thanks for the vote of confidence in me .. :) Atleast takes one to understand one.

And x9200: for the radar, I am not a big expert, maybe you are right .. or Not - when I was studying the complementing Harts system, understood that it works on maritime transponders, and doppler, so, there is no ability to switch. and from that height on the rough estimate, that radar will be hard pressed to see beyond 20 kilometers, unlike the Awacs that can go 200 kilometers or more. (if my memory serves right, from 100 height, meters, you can see upto 40 kilometers line of sight - before the earth's curvature takes over .. )

SMS: Try and dispute me on the Radar thing - so you can prove your "The sad part is, he's like that in a normal face to face conversation as well" -> I told you - you don't know much about me or my background or where I have been to .. so .. it is easy to smear anybody who sometimes seem to know two cents more than you .. ;) ;)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 17 Apr 2012 9:57 am

Squirrel, my comment has absolutely nothing to do with radar at all. It has everything to do with constant meandering away from the direct question and throwing in pieces of inconsequential garbage that obfuscate the point of the thread. Who the hell cares if the damn ventilation port is 100% air-tight or not or slides in and out or had a metal plate. The thread was about nothing more than the fact that the bomb shelter is not the place for a bedroom as it has no access out of the room other than the door. All other rooms have another escape route if necessary while the bomb shelter becomes a kiln for the occupants. The ventilation port is absolutely useless if the main hall is in full blaze isn't it. Especially considering that heat rises.

And yes, you tend to talk the same way as you write. I don't need to know anything about "you" at all. It's nothing more than a factual observation. :-|

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Tue, 17 Apr 2012 10:16 am

ecureilx wrote:
nutnut wrote:

Got it ?? ;) ;)
Stop being such a tool!
funny .. you say that, since I believe you and x9200 don't live in HDB .. unlike me, so I don't think you guys have seen many bomb shelters.
Squirrel, I'm not getting into an argument about you being a tool or not, I really can't be bothered. Do you want me to go take a picture of the bomb shelter in my kitchen that looks pretty much exactly like the one in the picture above? That's right, I don't live in HDB, I didn't realise it was a competition as to where we live and how many bomb shelters we've seen. I've seen a few and they all look the same, I guess they are built to a particular specification.
nutnut