Singapore Expats

which medical insurance?

Discuss the different insurance options from car to health insurance.
Lilie

which medical insurance?

Post by Lilie » Mon, 09 Apr 2012 12:29 pm

Hi
I will move to Spore end of April, I have a part time job as a German lecturer at Polytechnic. I need a medical insurance, can sbdy give me an advice? Which one's good, cheap aso.
Does anybody have experience with bdae expat (a German insurance)?
Thank you very much for your answer
Lilie

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 09 Apr 2012 1:52 pm

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

BigSis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BigSis » Mon, 09 Apr 2012 4:56 pm

We were with AIA who were quite good and speedy paying up - they also got something sorted out with Raffles clinics and hospital to operate a cashless system which was great.

Then our company demanded we change to a cheaper insurance and we're now with MSIG who aren't as good but they do pay up.......however it takes months (4 months to get a cheque from them).

You get what you pay for!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: which medical insurance?

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 09 Apr 2012 9:48 pm

Lilie wrote:Hi
I will move to Singapore end of April, I have a part time job as a German lecturer at Polytechnic. I need a medical insurance, can sbdy give me an advice? Which one's good, cheap aso.
Lilie
Try this article

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic ... highlight=

Lilie

Post by Lilie » Tue, 10 Apr 2012 10:12 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:This might help.....

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic86834.html
Thank you very much :)

Lilie

Post by Lilie » Tue, 10 Apr 2012 10:17 am

BigSis wrote:We were with AIA who were quite good and speedy paying up - they also got something sorted out with Raffles clinics and hospital to operate a cashless system which was great.

Then our company demanded we change to a cheaper insurance and we're now with MSIG who aren't as good but they do pay up.......however it takes months (4 months to get a cheque from them).

Thank you very much, then it seems to be better if I make a contract with a German insurance, it costs 140 SG/month (100% coverage)

Greetings
Lilie

RobSg
Regular
Regular

Post by RobSg » Sun, 15 Apr 2012 11:20 am

I have International Health Insurance (IHI) based out of Denmark and bought by BUPA a couple years ago. I like it because it covers me every where in the world, even the States. I'm almost 65. My premiums are about US$4,100 per year with a $1,600 deductible. Peace of mind is worth it.

marco2002

Re: which medical insurance?

Post by marco2002 » Thu, 19 Apr 2012 4:17 pm

Lilie wrote:Hi
I will move to Singapore end of April, I have a part time job as a German lecturer at Polytechnic. I need a medical insurance, can sbdy give me an advice? Which one's good, cheap aso.
Lilie
Most likely Polytechnic will provide you with some medical insurance, although that won't provide complete coverage.

As a general note, medical insurance coverage will be less than in Germany.
We ended up with NTUC insurance.
The other big health insurance companies: prudential, Ntuc, AIA, Great Eastern and AVIVA

tuss,
marco

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Wed, 25 Apr 2012 12:25 am

There is NO medical insurance in Singapore as comprehensive as you are used to from Europe! (e.g. dental treatment and pregnancy are almost always excluded here, and non-emergency/hospital treatments in most cases)
If you can really get a German-style plan for S$140/month - TAKE IT!
(and post the information here, as this is so unbelievably cheap that I'll take it too!)

uprising

Post by uprising » Wed, 09 May 2012 4:15 am

Hi Lilie,

We are also moving from Germany to Singapore and currently looking for a medical insurance for the family (wife, husband and kids). Which German insurer provides such a deal of S$140 for full coverage? Could you please kindly tell me or give me a pm. Thanks!

Lilie wrote:
BigSis wrote:We were with AIA who were quite good and speedy paying up - they also got something sorted out with Raffles clinics and hospital to operate a cashless system which was great.

Thank you very much, then it seems to be better if I make a contract with a German insurance, it costs 140 SG/month (100% coverage)

Greetings
Lilie

uprising

Post by uprising » Wed, 09 May 2012 4:20 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:This might help.....

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic86834.html
Hi SMS,

the thread linked to is about travel insurance. I am not sure if it is what we should buy for covering the healthcare costs in Singapore. Could you please help clarify a little bit? Thanks!

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Wed, 09 May 2012 9:47 am

I'll tell you who to categorically avoid - Chartis / Global health.

The claim process and customer service are absolutely awful - takes on average 10 weeks and the staff are incompetent. I even got one claim paid in USD despite the policy being in SGD.

If you are going for treatment somewhere that offers direct billing, they might not be too bad.

The real litmus test for an insurer is not necessarily around the plans or benefits (they are all broadly similar at the different tiers), it's on the administration and customer service side.

And avoid going through a financial broker to arrange the policy - you'll get better service through a dedicated medical broker or direct with the provider.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 09 May 2012 9:55 am

This might help.
I haven't called the guy to find out what he might can offer or has knowledge of. I leave that up to you. That why I said "might". :-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

dragon27

Post by dragon27 » Thu, 10 May 2012 8:42 pm

Agree with BillyB.... It is the administration that makes the difference...

Was told an anecdote by a friend (might be just hearsay, so take with a pinch of salt), that an unnamed insurer requires the client to seek approval with them at least four days in advance and before carrying out surgery.

Imagine fighting with bureaucracy when you are weak and down with sickness.

pjays02

Post by pjays02 » Thu, 05 Jul 2012 3:35 pm

If you want affordable policies, definitely the local ones. NTUC, AIA, etc. I got my health insurance from posb, and the claims/customer service was alright too. Only thing is they don't cover dental & pregnancy here. :(
I once complained that I had no shoes, until I saw a man with no feet.