Singapore Expats

No pool--are there family clubs that aren't international?

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
mjayasimha

No pool--are there family clubs that aren't international?

Post by mjayasimha » Sat, 07 Apr 2012 9:31 am

We are looking for a cheaper alternative to the international clubs in the orchard area. American club is pricey (even if you are American...) and Tanglin is "not kid friendly." Do any hotels or universities offer memberships to non-students or guests? I have searched online and not found much info on this. What do locals who have landed homes do for swimming and gyms? I know there are a few large public pools but hubby wants squash court too. Thanks in advance...

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: No pool--are there family clubs that aren't internationa

Post by the lynx » Mon, 09 Apr 2012 9:40 am

mjayasimha wrote:We are looking for a cheaper alternative to the international clubs in the orchard area. American club is pricey (even if you are American...) and Tanglin is "not kid friendly." Do any hotels or universities offer memberships to non-students or guests? I have searched online and not found much info on this. What do locals who have landed homes do for swimming and gyms? I know there are a few large public pools but hubby wants squash court too. Thanks in advance...
If you are still looking for 'affordable' expat clubs, try Hollandse Club, it is at Bukit Timah though but it is close enough to Orchard. It is family-friendly and cheap in comparison to TC and AMC, but smaller in size though. Personally I think it has a homey touch to it, if you get what I am trying to say. And it has squash courts.

http://www.hollandseclub.org.sg/page.php?page=joinus

NUSS is for university graduates from NUS. It does offer membership to graduates from other foreign universities but it must be from the selected list. It has 4 clubhouses (Kent Ridge, Cluny Road, Suntec and Adam Park) with swimming pool and squash facilities. Membership, like I said, is very select but still cheaper than AMC.

http://www.nuss.org.sg/member.aspx?cid=1

Oh I just remembered that there is another one in Orchard you can look at: The Pines. Way smaller than the other two I mentioned but it has squash and swimming pool (albeit a small one). I do not remember the membership fee for this one but from the word of mouth from my friends who are members there, it is affordable. You have to contact them to enquire about the fee.

http://www.thepines.com.sg/yours-exclusively-pines

Disclaimer: I have no financial gain whatsoever from these three places. And I also speak as a non-member who used to regularly go to these three clubs so I am familiar with the facilities and the environment there.

mjayasimha

Post by mjayasimha » Mon, 09 Apr 2012 1:26 pm

Thanks!

londonmerlion

Post by londonmerlion » Wed, 30 May 2012 10:30 am

If its not too far - Singapore swimming club has 2 50 m pools if i recall and squash courts. Its in the east though not that near ORchard.

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Wed, 30 May 2012 11:05 am

Don't know what the fees are like - but the Civil Service Clubs also have pools and other facilities. If you're just looking for a pool - why not use the public pools? Not sure how to find them, but there is one at Jalan Besar Stadium and Farrer Park Sports centre.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 30 May 2012 11:36 am

carteki wrote:Don't know what the fees are like - but the Civil Service Clubs also have pools and other facilities. If you're just looking for a pool - why not use the public pools? Not sure how to find them, but there is one at Jalan Besar Stadium and Farrer Park Sports centre.
Well OP wanted clubs but here's the full list of swimming complexes he can look at. But not all have squash courts though.

http://www.ssc.gov.sg/publish/Corporate ... mplex.html