Singapore Expats

Can you tell if you "burn" an electronic?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
mjayasimha

Can you tell if you "burn" an electronic?

Post by mjayasimha » Sat, 07 Apr 2012 9:24 am

We brought our pretty nice digital piano from the US, (I know, it's a no no to bring electronics!) figuring we couldn't get a good used price and had gotten about 5 years usage out of it anyways so we would give it a try. Bought an adapter for the 12V power from Parisilk. It didn't work. So, knowing I could damage it, we decided to just try it with the little plug adapter. It takes up quite a lot of room to just keep around for years and not use.

It worked for about 10 minutes and then just turned off. Is that "burning" up an electronic? Do you think maybe just the 12V is damaged? If it's ruined I'd like to get rid of it, but if it's not I can try to stick it somewhere. Any expert advice?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: Can you tell if you "burn" an electronic?

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 07 Apr 2012 10:35 am

mjayasimha wrote:We brought our pretty nice digital piano from the US, (I know, it's a no no to bring electronics!) figuring we couldn't get a good used price and had gotten about 5 years usage out of it anyways so we would give it a try. Bought an adapter for the 12V power from Parisilk. It didn't work. So, knowing I could damage it, we decided to just try it with the little plug adapter. It takes up quite a lot of room to just keep around for years and not use.

It worked for about 10 minutes and then just turned off. Is that "burning" up an electronic? Do you think maybe just the 12V is damaged? If it's ruined I'd like to get rid of it, but if it's not I can try to stick it somewhere. Any expert advice?
It could be the piano, or it could be the power adapter. Hard to say. But yes, generally things stop working. I used a hot water kettle for months without thinking, and it always worked, the cord just got hot, until one day it melted. Needless to say I got lucky :) I always had a US Cordless phone that had a decent voltage/frequency convertor. It worked for months also, then just died.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Thu, 26 Apr 2012 8:51 pm

more then likely to be toasted. it was working while the electronic components are being fried because of the wrong voltage. the tell tale sign would be a burning smell or the PSU is very hot (compare to when it is normal hot with a correct voltage).

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Fri, 27 Apr 2012 9:15 am

Could be the transformer burned out, the voltage might be the same but what about the current, take the transformer back to the shop and say you want a new one under warranty, they will check it if its still working then your piano is toast.

or go to the the local distributor for your piano and buy the 240volt version of their powersupply.