Singapore Expats Forum

Moving to U.S. with foreign wife, Need immigration lawyer

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Posts: 1
Joined: Fri, 06 Apr 2012

Moving to U.S. with foreign wife, Need immigration lawyer

Postby DrakeSG » Fri, 06 Apr 2012 9:53 am


I'm a U.S. citizen who is (very happily) married to a Vietnamese woman. We've been married for over two years now. We're 50/50 on whether we want to stay in Singapore... but because I'm not Chinese, our PR was rejected. Not a huge deal since I wasn't planning on becoming a citizen. Would have been convenient though.

Anyhow, I need to find a very good U.S. immigration lawyer or attorney that specializes in K1/K3 or appropriate visas. My case won't be so straightforward.

Couldn't find a proper forum for this post, so hope I can find some help here.

Any recommendations would be great and much appreciated.

Thank you.

User avatar
Posts: 35160
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 06 Apr 2012 10:49 am

I doubt seriously you were rejected for PR because you are not Chinese. Strong Eagle isn't Chinese, I'm not Chinese, Saint isn't Chinese, Bernie of Botak Jones isn't Chinese. Neither are a lot of others on this board who are Chinese. So, methinks it might be something else. Especially considering the fact that Singapore does not reveal the reasons for their rejections.

I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers here, but no immigration case is "straightforward". Are your ages relatively the same or is it a huge gap, say 10 to 20; years? If it's not straightforward it could take you several years. This is especially true if they think it might be a case of a mail order bride. Not saying it is but do you have a family yet? If you have been married two years, they might look askance at it for that reason.

Anyway, good luck.

User avatar
Posts: 6842
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Fri, 06 Apr 2012 4:23 pm

The best thing you can do? Get her a B-2 visa, go on holiday to the US, and then stay and apply for residency. You're not "allowed" to do that on a B-2, but if you do it a anyway they let her stay legally. Yeah, US laws are awesome. As long as there are no huge red flags, you should have no problem getting her a B-2 as long as you've both been living in Singapore at least six months. If she doesn't have much income here, just get a letter from your employer attesting your position here is permanent and show the salary.

I'll let recommend an agency with locations in the US and HCMC who assist specifically with Vietnamese immigrations to the US. I have no vested interest in them, but the moderator can feel free to sensor the link if they still see fit:

  • Similar Topics
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests