Singapore Expats Forum

Dependant Pass (PEP) - Do I need Sponsor from Company?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:
The Club Residences

Gadis

Dependant Pass (PEP) - Do I need Sponsor from Company?

Postby Gadis » Thu, 05 Apr 2012 12:53 am

Hello everyone,

I and my hubby will be going to Singapore in June. My hubby has PEP visa and I'll be staying in Singapore with free entry visa for 30 days. We will apply dependant visa for me as soon as we get there.

My hubby believes that he can become sponsor for me to get my dependant visa even though he doesn't have a job (as he hold PEP visa), and I'm not convinced about that.

If he's right then it will be good for us. But I don't find information in my research that PEP holder with no job can become sponsor for their dependant???

:???:

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Thu, 05 Apr 2012 7:00 am

He can do it. When you're on PEP, all of your associated passes are tied to you, nothing is to the employer. It's a S$150 fee.

Gadis

Postby Gadis » Thu, 05 Apr 2012 3:39 pm

Hi ZZ, thank you for the reply! I can relax now at last :D . Can't wait to be in Singapore soon 8-) .

cw1483
Regular
Regular

PEP (Dependents)

Postby cw1483 » Mon, 30 Apr 2012 10:27 am

Hi Gadis,

Thanks for posting this thread, am in the same boat as you, PEP visa and no job, arriving in late summer. Can you advise afterwards on your dependent visa status and how long it will take once you are at that point? Any advice on service apts would be great too.

Just curious, did you apply for the PEP visa yourselves and had friends hand in via SingPost with the $20 fee? I did it that way, but wonder if others do too.

Thanks!

Gadis

Re: PEP (Dependents)

Postby Gadis » Mon, 30 Apr 2012 7:01 pm

cw1483 wrote:Hi Gadis,

Thanks for posting this thread, am in the same boat as you, PEP visa and no job, arriving in late summer. Can you advise afterwards on your dependent visa status and how long it will take once you are at that point?

Just curious, did you apply for the PEP visa yourselves and had friends hand in via SingPost with the $20 fee? I did it that way, but wonder if others do too.

Hi CW,
We'll fly to Singapore on June 2nd so we don't know yet how long it will take but according to information I got from some websites it takes a week/two weeks.

About the apartment, we look for sharing apartment first until at least my husband or I get a job. Easy roommates website is pretty good to find sharing apartment or HDB.

My husband used . to get his PEP visa. It took less than two weeks for the visa. It's quite expensive but everything is done very quick and straight forward.

Good luck with Singapore :).

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 30 Apr 2012 8:40 pm

Just as a note to the above poster's comment about Rikven. While I'll take nothing away from Rikven, regardless of their costs, they actually had absolutely NOTHING to do with you getting the PEP. They and a number of other like to "allude" that their success rates are higher than others. The possibility is there, primarily because of the fact that high earning people "think" there is a short cut by spending a lot of money. At the end of the day, they are nothing but form fillers. Any High School Graduate/O Level/HNC holder can fill out the forms with no problem. In fact, they have to furnish Rikven all the answers so that you can spend 2K++ for them to type into the box and to use their address for them to put on the application for notification. It's actually a pretty slick scam if you think about it. Preying on people's insecurities. :roll:

Gadis

Postby Gadis » Mon, 30 Apr 2012 9:10 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Just as a note to the above poster's comment about Rikven. While I'll take nothing away from Rikven, regardless of their costs, they actually had absolutely NOTHING to do with you getting the PEP.

Hi SMS,

We competely understand about this :).

They and a number of other like to "allude" that their success rates are higher than others. The possibility is there, primarily because of the fact that high earning people "think" there is a short cut by spending a lot of money.

We did it because we know nobody in Singapore and we need a local sponsor.

At the end of the day, they are nothing but form fillers. Any High School Graduate/O Level/HNC holder can fill out the forms with no problem.

In fact, they have to furnish Rikven all the answers so that you can spend 2K++ for them to type into the box and to use their address for them to put on the application for notification. It's actually a pretty slick scam if you think about it. Preying on people's insecurities. :roll:

We know their job is nothing only filling the form and send it on our behalf. We paid less than 1.3K actually. Still expensive but every effort needs sacrifice :).

Thank you for the information anyway.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Tue, 01 May 2012 1:58 pm

You can make S$2k per application doing this?

Damn, time to open ZZM-PEP Pvt Lte !!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 01 May 2012 2:30 pm

Gadis,

A number of people who have become regulars here during their run up to apply for PEP's have put the question out on the forum and several of our members have acted as their conduit for the cost of a pint. It's a shame that you didn't find this site earlier or if you did, actually integrate here for a while to get to know some of the members (albeit online initially) and saved you the cost of a weekend in Bangkok.

Anyway, congratulations.

NB: My guess of 2K was just that, a guess. ;-)

cw1483
Regular
Regular

Good luck on your job hunt!

Postby cw1483 » Tue, 01 May 2012 4:28 pm

Thanks Gadis for sending the info. I've actually considered using Rivkin and the like (I think there is no harm to have professionals do it). I didn't want to hand my paperwork to a complete stranger considering my packet has all my personal details (passport copies, etc). However, in the end, I ended up getting a friend's relative who lives in Singapore to go through SingPost for me. It definitely saved me a bundle and I am forever grateful for that. Had I not have that 1 contact, I'd still be thinking about the submission process.

Good luck to you in Singapore!

sundaymorningstaple

Re: Good luck on your job hunt!

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 01 May 2012 6:58 pm

cw1483 wrote:Thanks Gadis for sending the info. I've actually considered using Rivkin and the like (I think there is no harm to have professionals do it). I didn't want to hand my paperwork to a complete stranger considering my packet has all my personal details (passport copies, etc). However, in the end, I ended up getting a friend's relative who lives in Singapore to go through SingPost for me. It definitely saved me a bundle and I am forever grateful for that. Had I not have that 1 contact, I'd still be thinking about the submission process.

Good luck to you in Singapore!

Don't worry cw1483, one the first things you learn in Singapore is that your particular aren't private. You need to give even the lucky draw coupons your life history, (in a manner of speaking). In fact, almost nothing personal is personal here. But you will eventually get used to it. And, you have a lot to learn about regulars on this board as well. Those of us who have been here a while are probably more trustworthy than most spouses! :D

Gadis

Postby Gadis » Tue, 01 May 2012 9:00 pm

SMS,

Actually, we've been following this site few months before my husband applied for PEP visa (and checking your links too :D ) - thank you for you and other members who keep informing about Singapore in this forum :). It's a wonderful thing to be able to help other people :).

Like CW has commented - and I think normal if people afraid to give their personal details to strangers although they genuinely want to help.

About Bangkok, hmmm....

sweetgazebo
Regular
Regular

Postby sweetgazebo » Tue, 01 May 2012 9:38 pm

yeap one for my (future) biz, ideas :) .... pointless slogging 9-5 for peanuts

zzm9980 wrote:You can make S$2k per application doing this?

Damn, time to open ZZM-PEP Pvt Lte !!