Singapore Expats

Citizenship Application Chances

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
hits_28

Citizenship Application Chances

Post by hits_28 » Fri, 30 Mar 2012 4:55 pm

Dear All,

Have been following this forum from quite sometime and would like o hear views from you gurus for my case around chances for citizenship approval.
I have been staying in Singapore from past 6.5 years and am a PR from past 3 years now. Have bought a HDB and me and my wife are very keen to make singapore our home and so we have decided to apply for singapore citizenship. However, my company is sending me to US on L1 for about 2 years on a project (Its a temporary assignment). I plan to apply for citizenship before I leave. Below are some additional details, it would be really great to have some feedback on the chances for my profile:

Applicant: me and my wife
Current Nationality: Indian
Salary per month: close to 9K (wife not working now)
PR Status: Been PR since Mar 2009
Duration of Stay in singapore: 6.5 Years
Education Background: Bachelors of Engineering
Job Industry: Banking

As I mentioned, I am very very keen to make this place my home and so want to apply for citizenship before I move to US for couple of years. I am planning this way because I fear that my PR may expire or renewal may be rejected as I would be out of Singapore (for couple of years) at the time of renewal in 2014. Have already informed my office to get me back here by 2013 end, but not sure how much of that is possible.

Thanks in advance and definitely appreciate all your feedback.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 30 Mar 2012 5:43 pm

Based on salary and length of stay I'd say "better than average".

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 30 Mar 2012 5:52 pm

50:50
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

hits_28

Post by hits_28 » Fri, 30 Mar 2012 8:32 pm

Thanks a lot SMS and zzm9980 for your reply.

Another concern/question that I have is "Will it be a problem if I am in US when the application is being processed" ?

Thanks again

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 30 Mar 2012 8:53 pm

That's why I only give you a 50:50 chance.

There have been lots of PR abusers (I'm not calling you one specifically) who have gone overseas for two or three years and come back "just in time" to renew their REP. Now, they want to see the last three years tax assessments when you renew your REP. In a lot of cases they are only giving a one year REP and if you haven't worked the full year in Singapore then you will not get it renewed again. If you are overseas, it going to be rather hard to do that. If you apply for citizenship, they are going to know why you are trying to do so.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

hits_28

Post by hits_28 » Mon, 02 Apr 2012 8:03 pm

Thanks SMS for your feedback.

Hoping for the best and will apply for family. :-)

Any more feedback is definitely welcome as it provides a good ground level to manage my expectations.

Cheers.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 03 Apr 2012 4:44 am

Citizenship application on record is after first REP renewal and on the sixth year will be a better chance
There are cases in by invitation before the 6th year. I do not think you are in this category
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

hits_28

Post by hits_28 » Wed, 11 Apr 2012 11:18 am

As always, Spot on SMS and MS.

I had been to ICA to submit my family's citizenship application and the officer had a chat with me and mentioned that my application falls weak because of my less PR term and in current group of other applicants. He suggested me that it would help if I dont submit the application now and submit it after few more years of PR. Based on his advice, I withdrew my application. He mentioned that this is not a rejection and after his advice if I still want to process my application I can submit it to him. However I chose to withdraw based on his suggestion/advice.

However, I am getting very concerned now about my situation and look up to your advices. Basically as I mentioned, my company is transferring me to US branch for temporary assignment which can range from 1.5 to 2 years period. Now assuming the worst state that I cant come back in 2 years, will mean that I have to file REP renewal request from US. And I suspect that because I am in US they may reject my renewal application which will be very sad because I dont want to move away from our home in Singapore. Will the document from my company mentioning that I have been transferred from Singapore to US for temporary assignment help in my case for renewal of REP ?

Out of my concern, I did give a call to ICA to explain my situation. I asked that technically I wont be gainfully employed in Singapore however I am not changing my employer for my personal benefit. I am being put up in US for assignment by company, and if I have to deny my transfer, it could be detrimental with my association to my company as my company contract states that I can be transferred for assignments.
ICA representative gave a positive feedback and told me that if I can prove the employer did not change, then that should not impact the renewal process.

However I would still like to have some suggestions from forum here. Worst come worst, If it comes to choose between Singapore and my US assignment (and maybe my current job), I am commited to choose Singapore and take blow on other side. But I just want to keep this as last option. :-(

Thanks a lot in advance for all your opinions and suggestions.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 11 Apr 2012 11:38 am

hits_28 wrote:As always, Spot on SMS and MS.

I had been to ICA to submit my family's citizenship application and the officer had a chat with me and mentioned that my application falls weak because of my less PR term and in current group of other applicants. He suggested me that it would help if I dont submit the application now and submit it after few more years of PR. Based on his advice, I withdrew my application. He mentioned that this is not a rejection and after his advice if I still want to process my application I can submit it to him. However I chose to withdraw based on his suggestion/advice.

However, I am getting very concerned now about my situation and look up to your advices. Basically as I mentioned, my company is transferring me to US branch for temporary assignment which can range from 1.5 to 2 years period. Now assuming the worst state that I cant come back in 2 years, will mean that I have to file REP renewal request from US. And I suspect that because I am in US they may reject my renewal application which will be very sad because I dont want to move away from our home in Singapore. Will the document from my company mentioning that I have been transferred from Singapore to US for temporary assignment help in my case for renewal of REP ?

Out of my concern, I did give a call to ICA to explain my situation. I asked that technically I wont be gainfully employed in Singapore however I am not changing my employer for my personal benefit. I am being put up in US for assignment by company, and if I have to deny my transfer, it could be detrimental with my association to my company as my company contract states that I can be transferred for assignments.
ICA representative gave a positive feedback and told me that if I can prove the employer did not change, then that should not impact the renewal process.

However I would still like to have some suggestions from forum here. Worst come worst, If it comes to choose between Singapore and my US assignment (and maybe my current job), I am commited to choose Singapore and take blow on other side. But I just want to keep this as last option. :-(

Thanks a lot in advance for all your opinions and suggestions.
If you are temporarily transferred abroad by your company and if your salary,CPF and taxes are being paid in SG, you may have a chance

hits_28

Post by hits_28 » Wed, 11 Apr 2012 11:46 am

Thanks Singapore Flyer. However unfortunately as per company's policies for any transfer they pay in local currency. So there wont be any CPF and Tax paid on my Salary. Doesnt look to be very rosy picture I guess.
This is really making me sad now !

Should I rely on feedback that I got on call from ICA representative. Called them 2 times to speak to 2 different people and both said that even if you are paid in US local currency, as long as I can prove my employer did not change and I was transferred, it should be fine enough for this specific concern.

However I am not very sure how much should I rely on that feedback :-(

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 11 Apr 2012 12:53 pm

It is reliable.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 11 Apr 2012 5:30 pm

Get a cover letter from your company and seek confirmation to that effect on your assignment to US and length of stay there yadda yadda yadda
Do the same with IRD.State salary and others will be paid in US but declare you intent to pay tax in SG and ask IRD for advise on this matter
State specifically that your intention to keep your SG PR
Go from there.
Adapt and modify as it comes
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

hits_28

Post by hits_28 » Wed, 11 Apr 2012 5:39 pm

Thanks a lot MS and SMS for your replies.

MS - Just so that I understand this in correct manner, your suggestion is to have a letter from company stating approx tenure of assignment, my USD salary, confirmation that I am being transferred within same company etc and speak to IRD before leaving singapore or after I move to US (in singapore mission there) ?

If the suggestion is to do this before leaving singapore, then I shall initiate the required process today itself.

Please help with clarification. Thanks. Also apart from IRD, do I have to speak to anyone in ICA before I leave (as they would mainly be looking into PR stuff).

Another naive query - I assume IRD is inland revenue department. I guess thats what you meant.

Again thanks a lot for putting your time to read through and reply to my posts.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 11 Apr 2012 5:45 pm

Yep, so that you do not lose your PR REP. Get an officer to acknowledge if possible. Before they did it, now not sure but try it

IRD : IS REALLY DORK ? Ya-lah !! Income Tax Man, Ah Gong !!

Make sure you KKYLP the officer OK ?

hits_28

Post by hits_28 » Wed, 11 Apr 2012 8:58 pm

Yep. Already initiated the process with my office HR to furnish required letter/information.

Now that I am carrying this risk/chances of my PR rejection, brings me to one more question.

I have HDB (with 3 yrs MOP). 1.5 years is completed and 1.5 years is left. I understand that if my PR renewal gets rejected then I understand that I have to surrender my flat to HDB at their calculated valuation amount (which will be different from market rate).
After doing a google I stumbled on one site which mentioned that HDB paid about 100K less than the original purchase price.

If that is the case then I am really worried on financial front as well. And after learning about this, I am inclined to have my wife and kid stay back in Singapore to complete 1.5 years MOP, (but thats going to be 1.5 years of hell for all of us and I dread thinking about it) because at the end of the day the money is huge and it can really help cover my kids education at some point.

Is the HDB surrender rate really that low and very below the original purchase price ? {Cold hands and feet}

I know it may be overthinking on my part, but I am just trying to see how much of financial implication will HDB equation cause my family. If its really this, I may as well strongly decline US assignment and if it means me finding another job in Singapore, then so be it (although I am sure I will have to take massive pay cut with current market )

I can come to terms with Loss but atleast that loss should be manegeable.
Should I be really worried about HDB surrender rate if time comes to that ?
Thanks.