Singapore Expats Forum

PR application after 6 months of employment

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
sggi

PR application after 6 months of employment

Postby sggi » Thu, 29 Mar 2012 10:50 am

Hi everyone, here's a background of my case..

I'm Indonesian Chinese and have been living in Singapore since secondary school in 2000. I live with my Singaporean aunt (mother side) and her husband since. My brother and sister are also here, SMU undergrad and SIM-UOL undergrad respectively. We live under one roof.

I finished O levels from neighbourhood school, engineering diploma from local poly and then a business degree (RMIT) from SIM.

I worked in 2 companies so far, first at a startup doing sales and marketing, lasted 2 weeks under EP Q1, then moved to an established computer gaming hardware company (EP Q1) doing online sales and marketing to present day (just got my 6th month payslip)

So I'm considering a PR move, but I'm worried that my chances are slim since I was offered before to take up PR when I graduated from poly, I didn't take it because I still want to go to university and not work full time, stopping at diploma cert (its condition if I want the PR). I don't regret my decision. But it looks like it may have adverse effect on my PR application.

And then there is this short 2 weeks in my first company, it may look like a job hopping behaviour but I wasn't job hopping, it was because I couldn't align myself with the company. I made the decision to quit when this gaming hardware company accepted my application. I don't think I will move anywhere for a long time.

So that's a short story I've got. The strong points of my application perhaps are the length of physical stay, went through the Singapore education system and the backing of an established company. Family ties probably is there but maybe not significant.

The cons are rejected PR invitation before (I think this is a major minus mark), and a history of short employment.

So my questions:
1. I have read the ICA documents requiment (http://www.ica.gov.sg/data/resources/do ... 4_4-01.pdf) and there is a requirement to submit income tax notices of assessment for last 3 years. OMG I don't have this. Is this important? Must I wait 3 years? My current company has filed the income tax for year 2011 for me. Is that it?

2. I think everyone has got only 1 chance really for PR application (2nd chance is 2 years away at least)... So I want to make sure this counts, otherwise, I'll just wait for the right time. Is my current conditions good enough?

nanamar

Postby nanamar » Thu, 29 Mar 2012 12:14 pm

I am just curious, but did your PR invitation at the end of your poly education mention that you have to serve NS ? (you would have been at the right age at that time)

If so, then this reason might also be taken as a possible reason why you did not want to take up the PR at that point in time (apart from your mention of prohibition from further studies ? - which seems really strange)

----------------

I cannot offer much of an opinion on your chances now with not even 1 tax assessment to show for. More experienced forum members might be able to give you an idea based on the current flavour of the month and your plus point of earlier stay in Singapore.

----------------

xiaostar

Re: PR application after 6 months of employment

Postby xiaostar » Thu, 29 Mar 2012 1:18 pm

sggi wrote:Is this important? Must I wait 3 years?

Yes, I would suggest that you wait 3 years. Don't try your luck with ICA. They might just push you down further the queue.

sggi wrote:Is my current conditions good enough?

If you are female, I feel that your odds are good if you wait for 3 years.
I doubt the 2 weeks at your first company and the rejection of your the PR invitation would hurt your application significantly.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 29 Mar 2012 1:21 pm

sggi wrote:Hi everyone, here's a background of my case..

I'm Indonesian Chinese and have been living in Singapore since secondary school in 2000. I live with my Singaporean aunt (mother side) and her husband since. My brother and sister are also here, SMU undergrad and SIM-UOL undergrad respectively. We live under one roof.

Good.

I finished O levels from neighbourhood school, engineering diploma from local poly and then a business degree (RMIT) from SIM.

Good/Great

I worked in 2 companies so far, first at a startup doing sales and marketing, lasted 2 weeks under EP Q1, then moved to an established computer gaming hardware company (EP Q1) doing online sales and marketing to present day (just got my 6th month payslip)

Not a real problem

So I'm considering a PR move, but I'm worried that my chances are slim since I was offered before to take up PR when I graduated from poly, I didn't take it because I still want to go to university and not work full time, stopping at diploma cert (its condition if I want the PR). I don't regret my decision. But it looks like it may have adverse effect on my PR application.

Erase all goods & greats up to this point. The offering of PR to foreigners in local tertiary institutions has been nullified, even for those still in school. Your rejecting it when it was offered was a slap in the face to the gahmen who allowed you to study here. This means you will have to take the normal route to PR.

And then there is this short 2 weeks in my first company, it may look like a job hopping behaviour but I wasn't job hopping, it was because I couldn't align myself with the company. I made the decision to quit when this gaming hardware company accepted my application. I don't think I will move anywhere for a long time.

So that's a short story I've got. The strong points of my application perhaps are the length of physical stay, went through the Singapore education system and the backing of an established company. Family ties probably is there but maybe not significant.

Length of stay was nullified by your refusal of PR when it was offered.

The only positive is the fact that you are Indonesian Chinese (the operative word here is Chinese)

The cons are rejected PR invitation before (I think this is a major minus mark), and a history of short employment.

correct

So my questions:
1. I have read the ICA documents requiment (http://www.ica.gov.sg/data/resources/do ... 4_4-01.pdf) and there is a requirement to submit income tax notices of assessment for last 3 years. OMG I don't have this. Is this important? Must I wait 3 years? My current company has filed the income tax for year 2011 for me. Is that it?

At this point all you have is the required academic requirements, a Q pass and one years Tax Assessment.

2. I think everyone has got only 1 chance really for PR application (2nd chance is 2 years away at least)... So I want to make sure this counts, otherwise, I'll just wait for the right time. Is my current conditions good enough?

Not really. But again, being Chinese may well swing things in your favour. depending on which side of the bed the Immigration officer got up on or if his wife was nice to him anot! ;-)

Good Luck.

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Thu, 29 Mar 2012 2:21 pm

I sometimes wonder how come all these relatively smaller countries have got so much race classification in it? Chinese are in Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore may be Japan, Korea also got?

India is the closest neighbour to China. There are lots in India especially in border areas who look biologically and should be classified as chinese race, but we dont have race system there although we have atleast 3 completely different kind of races, if you think about it. There are absolutely whites in the north and there are pitch dark in the south. Then there are various shades of brown in between :lol:. Finally we have oriental looking in the east. I wonder how the gahmen here is able to classify people especially foreigners. :roll:

sggi

Postby sggi » Thu, 29 Mar 2012 2:34 pm

Hey everyone, thanks for the feedback.

A bit disappointed that my worries were confirmed :)

So what do you suggest my next move will be? Wait another till I get 1 year of payslips? Or 3 years so that I fulfill the tax assessments?
My EP lasts 2 years + another renewal up to 2 years based on the new Jan 2012 regulation (IF I stay with the same company)

I spoke to my HR and she said, "How long you are here already? 6 months ah? Can try lah." Lol...

I spoke to the foreigners in my company and they got approved within 3-4 months using my company Annex A. But then, they have never rejected PR invites like me.

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Thu, 29 Mar 2012 2:40 pm

sggi wrote:Hey everyone, thanks for the feedback.

A bit disappointed that my worries were confirmed :)

So what do you suggest my next move will be? Wait another till I get 1 year of payslips? Or 3 years so that I fulfill the tax assessments?
My EP lasts 2 years + another renewal up to 2 years based on the new Jan 2012 regulation (IF I stay with the same company)

I spoke to my HR and she said, "How long you are here already? 6 months ah? Can try lah." Lol...

I spoke to the foreigners in my company and they got approved within 3-4 months using my company Annex A. But then, they have never rejected PR invites like me.

The people in your company are probably still thinking it's pre November 2008 when PR wasgranted left and right. Just try to fulfill the criteria set by ICA lest they think you can't even follow instructions.

xiaostar

Postby xiaostar » Thu, 29 Mar 2012 3:04 pm

sggi wrote:I spoke to my HR and she said, "How long you are here already? 6 months ah? Can try lah." Lol...

Has she tried to apply for PR recently? :wink:

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Thu, 29 Mar 2012 10:27 pm

sggi wrote:I was offered before to take up PR when I graduated from poly, I didn't take it because I still want to go to university and not work full time, stopping at diploma cert (its condition if I want the PR).

So this makes me curious. The government would issue PR invites to poly grads, but only on the condition they discontinued any further schooling? What was the rational for that? :???:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 29 Mar 2012 10:39 pm

The same rational used in the 1969 stop at 2 policies. :???:

sggi

Postby sggi » Thu, 29 Mar 2012 11:40 pm

Hi guys, I think you misunderstood my sentence there.
What I meant was I was invited to take up PR at a time where I'm still not ready yet.

The condition was to secure full time employment. It means I have to postpone my plan to further my studies. It was a bad time to invite me. I can't help it to ignore the invitation. If I can say in my defense.

It seems like a sabotage, I'm sorry to say...

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 30 Mar 2012 12:19 am

The problem was the OP's. In Singapore, normally, the only people who go to Polytechnics are the ones who could not get into Universities. Therefore, the Poly is normally their last stop before hitting the workforce. So, any in a Poly deemed suitable, at that time, would be offered PR. He turned it down and took another route to get a degree, thereby sabo'ing his chances of PR. Now, the gahmen's priorities have shifted and the PR to foreign students has been discontinued, and because he rejected it............

Let's put it this way, it ain't gonna be easy.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Fri, 30 Mar 2012 8:49 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The problem was the OP's. In Singapore, normally, the only people who go to Polytechnics are the ones who could not get into Universities. Therefore, the Poly is normally their last stop before hitting the workforce. So, any in a Poly deemed suitable, at that time, would be offered PR. He turned it down and took another route to get a degree, thereby sabo'ing his chances of PR. Now, the gahmen's priorities have shifted and the PR to foreign students has been discontinued, and because he rejected it............

Let's put it this way, it ain't gonna be easy.

OK, I understand now. I didn't realize polys were 'lesser' schools. I'm from the US, where we have polys such as Rensselaer, Cal Poly, etc, hardly considered second-rate schools :D

xiaostar

Postby xiaostar » Fri, 30 Mar 2012 9:34 am

sggi wrote:The condition was to secure full time employment. It means I have to postpone my plan to further my studies. It was a bad time to invite me. I can't help it to ignore the invitation. If I can say in my defense.

This is what other Indonesians do
- Take on full time employment
- Accept the PR invitation
- Quit soon after or seek to convert to part-time
- Continue with their uni education and enjoy PR tuition rates

Since that option isn't available to you, I'll encourage you to wait till you have 3 years of employment before applying.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 30 Mar 2012 11:57 am

zzm, think along AA lines. It would probably be more similar as there is not a direct correlation, with the exception of private "trade" schools.