Singapore Expats

City Square Residences? US Expat family

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
Ambercflo

City Square Residences? US Expat family

Post by Ambercflo » Wed, 28 Mar 2012 6:07 pm

Hi all,

I have been out the last to days looking at condos. Here is the deal-

We are a family from the US that have lived in HK for the last year.
We have 2 children 2 and 5 and they will attend Stamford American.
Husband works at AXA tower Shenton Way

I liked the condo and the shopping center across the street.

Are many expats there? How would the commute be for kids and husband.

Is little India down the street? How is it on the weekends?
Any advice or suggestions.

Search By

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 28 Mar 2012 10:56 pm

It's not very close to SAIS, and Little India can be a rather hectic area in the later evening and weekends. It's one of the spots the tens of thousands of migrant workers with nothing to do outside work hours like to loiter in. I'd suggest taking a walk from there to Mustafa one evening or weekend before deciding.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Thu, 29 Mar 2012 8:31 am

Agreed with ZZM on this point!

It's a nightmare to get in and out of that area (right next to Mustafa) in a taxi at the weekend, also, even though it's safe, if you go walking the streets in the local area with 2 kids the crowds get very busy and the pavements (sidewalks) are awful. Personally, I'd recommend something a little closer to SIAS as a commute to Shenton Way from pretty much anywhere in Singapore is fairly pain-free, or consider the East Coast if you are happy to have a longer commute to SIAS.

Little India is not great for young western kids in my opinion.
nutnut

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 29 Mar 2012 9:18 am

First of all, a little clarification on the part of the OP would be in order. What is their ethnicity?

They could well be of Indian ethnicity, hence the looking at that location. I don't know, just asking as it occurred to me as they were asking how close it was to Little India.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Ambercflo

Post by Ambercflo » Thu, 29 Mar 2012 9:33 am

We are US citizens. We are interested in taking it all in. All cultures, but do not want to be overwhelmed. I like the idea of city living but do not like the idea of crowded almost unbarable walking on the streets during the weekend.

Any ideas on the Kovan Residences? Close to SAIS but is there stuff around and it is close to the MRT as I can see.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 29 Mar 2012 10:17 am

We know you are US citizens. We asked what your ethnicity was.

You do know what ethnicity is don't you? This is NOT the USofA. We can ask ALL those questions that are forbidden over there. Oh and two of the moderators are also US citizens. We are trying to help you, but you need to help us to enable us to help you best.

Crowds? Weekends? Anywhere there is a shopping mall it will be crowded. Shopping is a major past-time here. Also, all other entertainment type of facilities will be wall to wall as well. You are just going to have to get used to it. Singapore is a City-State.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Ambercflo

Post by Ambercflo » Thu, 29 Mar 2012 10:28 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:We know you are US citizens. We asked what your ethnicity was.

You do know what ethnicity is don't you? This is NOT the USofA. We can ask ALL those questions that are forbidden over there. Oh and two of the moderators are also US citizens. We are trying to help you, but you need to help us to enable us to help you best.

Crowds? Weekends? Anywhere there is a shopping mall it will be crowded. Shopping is a major past-time here. Also, all other entertainment type of facilities will be wall to wall as well. You are just going to have to get used to it. Singapore is a City-State.

ok wow... so sorry for the confusion... american born from Virginia.. i may have a little italian and my husband a little spanish.... I know this is a city and am comfortable with that as I am coming from Hong Kong! I dont want my two and five year old to be nervous if this is an exceptionally busy area most of the time.

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Thu, 29 Mar 2012 10:38 am

Ambercflo wrote:
ok wow... so sorry for the confusion... american born from Virginia.. i may have a little italian and my husband a little spanish.... I know this is a city and am comfortable with that as I am coming from Hong Kong! I dont want my two and five year old to be nervous if this is an exceptionally busy area most of the time.
Then I would agree with the previous posters and advise you to avoid City Square like the plague. The East Coast, though a longer commute for your husband, would probably be a better environment for your kids. If your budget extends to it, you should also check out The Caribbean at Keppel Bay which is next to Harbourfront MRT.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

technoviking

Post by technoviking » Tue, 03 Apr 2012 10:10 am

Here is an opposing viewpoint: city sq is generally ok - city sq mall is directly opposite the residences, and most folks go though city sq mall to get straight into farrer park mrt, avoiding the crowded streets on the ground level. I've been to city square a few times and it seems like a very popular choice for young families with children. Also, the mall itself is not crowded during weekdays.

Edit: farrer park is four stops away from axa tower (incl 2 train changes) so its still close-ish.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Tue, 03 Apr 2012 5:05 pm

Not the most exciting place to live. Those apartments and City Square Mall are nice, but the surrounding area much less so for family life. You're basically looking at popping into the MRT all the time as opposed to spending time locally.

Segue
Regular
Regular

Post by Segue » Mon, 09 Apr 2012 1:42 pm

City Square is a great place. Very convenient to MRT and shopping, plus the huge, resort type pool, facilities and grounds. You can save a lot by shopping at Mustafa as it some of the best prices in Singapore.

I was looking at places there for a while, but could not settle on the exact unit. Its getting quite popular these days with foreigners looking for a more modern place near the CBD. Many families of various nationalities so its a good way to enjoy the multicultural life of Singapore. If you are the curious and adventurous type, it could be a lot of fun.

The units are very space efficient in design, but one downside is that the units don't have any storage space.

Warning - many agents will steer you away because they don't think its 'safe' to be around foreign workers. That's just a local stereotype.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 11 Apr 2012 12:01 am

Segue wrote: Warning - many agents will steer you away because they don't think its 'safe' to be around foreign workers. That's just a local stereotype.
It's definitely not "unsafe", but if you go outside with a foreign female of above-average looks or higher, expect to be gawked at. My wife refuses to even go to ECP without me now due to 'foreign workers' in packs that gawk and try to talk to her.

And Mustafa is cheap, for sure. However it is complete mad house 95% of the time. Imagine the most crowded CostCo or Walmart you've ever been to in the US. Now imagine it 3x bigger, with half the floor space for walking, and 10x the people. Now make them Singaporeans and other SE Asians with no sense of spacial awareness. If you like to go places with your kids with say a stroller, you'll hate this place.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 11 Apr 2012 11:35 am

zzm9980 wrote:It's definitely not "unsafe", but if you go outside with a foreign female of above-average looks or higher, expect to be gawked at. My wife refuses to even go to ECP without me now due to 'foreign workers' in packs that gawk and try to talk to her.
Gawk - I see that everywhere .. well, it is just that when an asian gawks, it is obvious, unlike 'others' who do the same but a bit discretely ..

did they try to talk to her ? well, are you serious ? you should write up to the authorities if that really is true .. as they do post roving patrols and they don't condone such harassment .. seen it enough when people report, for the forces to move in ..

So far, the foreign workers stop at gawking ..

On the other hand, if it was FT the story does hold water ..

of late, I been seeing smartly dressed guys trying to chat up girls .. as if they are all for taking .. and no ethnic boundaries her .. guys from South asia and SEA are now into that 'chatting up strangers' thing ..

So .. your 'foreign worker' - are they white collar or blue collar ?? :)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 11 Apr 2012 12:15 pm

ecureilx wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:It's definitely not "unsafe", but if you go outside with a foreign female of above-average looks or higher, expect to be gawked at. My wife refuses to even go to ECP without me now due to 'foreign workers' in packs that gawk and try to talk to her.
Gawk - I see that everywhere .. well, it is just that when an asian gawks, it is obvious, unlike 'others' who do the same but a bit discretely ..
Yep, it happens everywhere. My wife use to cycle to her workplace and the lorries packed with the 'foreign workers'... probably if these were boats it were already upside down capsized. In Little India the density of the encounters is naturally much higher. And no, I don't think it is only about discretion.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 11 Apr 2012 12:33 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
Segue wrote: Warning - many agents will steer you away because they don't think its 'safe' to be around foreign workers. That's just a local stereotype.
It's definitely not "unsafe", but if you go outside with a foreign female of above-average looks or higher, expect to be gawked at. My wife refuses to even go to ECP without me now due to 'foreign workers' in packs that gawk and try to talk to her.
My girlfriend feels really uncomfortable when these workers (from two of the most populous countries on earth) gawk at her.

And she looks local.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."