Singapore Expats Forum

Budget

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:
Image
The Club Residences

Luci@
Member
Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri, 15 May 2009

Budget

Postby Luci@ » Mon, 26 Mar 2012 3:09 am

Hi!

I am presently applying for a post-doc grant in Singapore and one of the things I need to submit with the application is a budget.

The funding agency says they offer a minimum of 35 000 Euros -- which converted to Sg $ is a little over 46 000/year. I am wondering if this would be enough -- I'd probably want to stay in a 1 bedroom apartment close to the Institute of Mental Health (I still have to research to see what is the closest area and MRT). I've been reading the forum for a while, but still would appreciate your help/any thoughts on the budget.


In my budget for the grant -- I propose 700 euros or a little over 1000 sg dollars for office supplies/year and another 1000 sg for making copies etc. of the paperwork I'm using for my research. Are these number realistic?

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: Budget

Postby JR8 » Mon, 26 Mar 2012 3:52 am

Luci@ wrote:The funding agency says they offer a minimum of 35 000 Euros -- which converted to Sg $ is a little over 46 000/year.


Magna cum laude PhD eh?
You might want to recheck your basic maths there!

Out of interest which agency is paying you as an American in euros to work in Singapore?

User avatar
nutnut
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1853
Joined: Thu, 24 Nov 2011
Location: The Mainland....

Postby nutnut » Mon, 26 Mar 2012 7:39 am

Yes, If you are getting paid in Euros right enough, that's around $60K SGD a year, it'll be tight if you want a 1 bed apartment, but much easier if you have a room in a shared place!

$5K a month is perfectly manageable if you have no dependants and keep your costs low.
nutnut

Luci@
Member
Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri, 15 May 2009

Re: Budget

Postby Luci@ » Mon, 26 Mar 2012 9:19 am

JR8 wrote:
Luci@ wrote:The funding agency says they offer a minimum of 35 000 Euros -- which converted to Sg $ is a little over 46 000/year.


Magna cum laude PhD eh?
You might want to recheck your basic maths there!

Out of interest which agency is paying you as an American in euros to work in Singapore?


Hi! Thanks for your response. Indeed, 46 000 is in US dollars. I got confussed as I converted in both US and SGD.

Summa cum laude lol

Luci@
Member
Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri, 15 May 2009

Postby Luci@ » Mon, 26 Mar 2012 9:23 am

nutnut wrote:Yes, If you are getting paid in Euros right enough, that's around $60K SGD a year, it'll be tight if you want a 1 bed apartment, but much easier if you have a room in a shared place!

$5K a month is perfectly manageable if you have no dependants and keep your costs low.


Thank you -- $60 K SGD is actually good, I think. One thing that I need to submit with the grant proposal is a budget, which includes the salary. The minimum is 35 000 Euros. I previously submitted budgets for smaller grants (such as to travel to conferences). I am wondering if it would be request more (maybe I can provide a quote for how expensive Singapore is to support the request). Can anyone suggest something along these lines?


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
  • Housing in Singapore on a Budget
    by piyushdabomb » Thu, 10 Oct 2013 12:20 am » in Property Talk, Housing & Rental
    24
    7310
    by louy View the latest post
    Wed, 10 Sep 2014 3:27 pm
  • Looking for budget shipping/ freight forwarder to HK
    by Jenny0629 » Wed, 08 Jan 2014 7:49 pm » in Relocating, Moving to Singapore
    1
    1229
    by Steve1960 View the latest post
    Thu, 09 Jan 2014 8:30 am
  • Looking for budget warehouse and cheap logistic
    by Denix Fluid Power » Tue, 28 Jan 2014 6:10 pm » in Business in Singapore
    2
    1888
    by stuckmojo View the latest post
    Thu, 30 Jan 2014 11:16 am
  • Singapore Budget
    by Wd40 » Sat, 22 Feb 2014 12:48 am » in Latest News & Current Affairs
    18
    3511
    by Barnsley View the latest post
    Mon, 24 Feb 2014 12:55 pm
  • Budget Advice
    by Liam555 » Sat, 01 Mar 2014 2:07 pm » in General Discussions
    13
    2815
    by amarettoSour View the latest post
    Mon, 03 Mar 2014 3:13 am

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests