Singapore Expats Forum

Questions about citizenship by descent and NS

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
ctp1

Questions about citizenship by descent and NS

Postby ctp1 » Sun, 25 Mar 2012 11:53 am

Hi everyone,

My son is currently 17 years old. He was born in the US, but both my husband and I are singapore citizens. We currently live in the US. We recently received a letter requesting our son to get a checkup and register for NS. Our current plan is to wait till our son is 21 years old so that he can renounce his citizenship, but we want to visit the country for a family gathering in the near future. Is my son going to have any difficulties exiting the country like having to apply for an exit permit, pay a fine, or post a bond?

Thanks in advance.

nanamar

Re: Questions about citizenship by descent and NS

Postby nanamar » Sun, 25 Mar 2012 1:33 pm

ctp1 wrote:Hi everyone,

My son is currently 17 years old. He was born in the US, but both my husband and I are singapore citizens. We currently live in the US. We recently received a letter requesting our son to get a checkup and register for NS. Our current plan is to wait till our son is 21 years old so that he can renounce his citizenship, but we want to visit the country for a family gathering in the near future. Is my son going to have any difficulties exiting the country like having to apply for an exit permit, pay a fine, or post a bond?

Thanks in advance.

please read the sticky on this board ( ftopic61423.html )

if your son has both US and SG citizenship, and you have not indicated your intention to renounce his SG citizenship at the age of 13 (along with applying for necessary exit permits), there is no way for him to legally avoid NS