Singapore Expats Forum

'Hostel' for maids

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
kritikaprakash
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed, 08 Feb 2012

'Hostel' for maids

Postby kritikaprakash » Thu, 22 Mar 2012 1:04 am

We will be hiring a fulltime maid to work with us. But we travel a lot and would prefer that when we are not in Singapore, the maid stays at a 'hostel' where we can organise for boarding and lodging facilities for a fee. I hear that this is posssible. How do I find such options? Are they connected to particular maid agencies?

merichan
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 171
Joined: Thu, 14 May 2009

Postby merichan » Thu, 22 Mar 2012 9:09 am

usually the maid agencies have those boarding houses and you go through your maid agency.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9252
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 22 Mar 2012 10:04 am

merichan wrote:usually the maid agencies have those boarding houses and you go through your maid agency.


Not all agencies have hostels, and, remember that, even when the maid is in the hostel, she under your care, so should anything happen you are still liable .. including accidents ..

If you travel a lot, why do you make the maids life miserable by parking her in the hostel and letting her live with strangers ? Well, and the hostel residents are those newly arrived ones mainly ..

Either you trust your maid enough to leave her at your home, or don't get a maid, says me ..

Or why not just engage part time maids - the legal ones ?

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10405
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 22 Mar 2012 12:33 pm

ecureilx wrote:
merichan wrote:usually the maid agencies have those boarding houses and you go through your maid agency.


Not all agencies have hostels, and, remember that, even when the maid is in the hostel, she under your care, so should anything happen you are still liable .. including accidents ..

If you travel a lot, why do you make the maids life miserable by parking her in the hostel and letting her live with strangers ? Well, and the hostel residents are those newly arrived ones mainly ..

Either you trust your maid enough to leave her at your home, or don't get a maid, says me ..

Or why not just engage part time maids - the legal ones ?


A very big +1! ^^^^^

OP sounds like a person with no feelings for the well being of a maid. Doesn't deserve one.

User avatar
nutnut
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1850
Joined: Thu, 24 Nov 2011
Location: The Mainland....

Postby nutnut » Thu, 22 Mar 2012 1:13 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
merichan wrote:usually the maid agencies have those boarding houses and you go through your maid agency.


Not all agencies have hostels, and, remember that, even when the maid is in the hostel, she under your care, so should anything happen you are still liable .. including accidents ..

If you travel a lot, why do you make the maids life miserable by parking her in the hostel and letting her live with strangers ? Well, and the hostel residents are those newly arrived ones mainly ..

Either you trust your maid enough to leave her at your home, or don't get a maid, says me ..

Or why not just engage part time maids - the legal ones ?


A very big +1! ^^^^^

OP sounds like a person with no feelings for the well being of a maid. Doesn't deserve one.


Totally agree with this!

I bet you are the type to put CCTV in your house to watch her when you are out of the house for dinner as well right?

If yo get a maid, you have to respect them and give them trust in order for them to be trustworthy, this kind of behaviour will probably drive the maid to be badly behaved, would you want to live in a hostel when you weren't in the office????
nutnut

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Postby the lynx » Thu, 22 Mar 2012 1:34 pm

I doubt any maid agency will provide such hostel service in your case. Their hostels are to house in newly arrived maids before they are transferred to respective employers' places.

I would echo ecu's advice to get a part-time maid instead.

bluenose
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 207
Joined: Wed, 09 Jul 2008

Postby bluenose » Tue, 10 Apr 2012 10:48 am

Why don't you have her wash your car everyday while you are away...and don't forget to get her to push the button the lift 5 minutes before you arrive at the lift.....even better still cut her pay while you are away as she will have less to do.....so will need less food and less salary.
I hear you can also get an automatic lock linked to a camera that will only let her out when you authorise....sounds just the job for you! :D

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Postby the lynx » Wed, 20 Jun 2012 10:46 pm

I'm aghast by recent conversations with two men (in separate incidents) regarding their maids. Nonchalantly they dismissed their maids, whom I have heard good comments about their work and behaviour, just because they wish to go back to their hometown for a week, instead of a weekend, to spend time with their families, and their employers refuse to make do without them for a week. And these maids have been serving them for many years!

I know that as employers, they have the right to dismiss whoever they want for whatever reason and whenever they wish to, but for this?

Clearly highlights the notorious reputation of lack of empathy among the locals.

Before I get jumped on for local-bashing, these two men are my friends (Malay and Chinese) and their maids are from Indonesia and the Philippines.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Domestic Helper & Babysitter Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests